Wool Blazer vs Wool-blend blazer?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by ATMFan95, Feb 12, 2017.

1. ATMFan95

ATMFan95 Member

I am new to blazers I never even had one despite being 21 years old so I don't have experience when it comes to blazer
    I decided to buy one but I can't decide vetween two blazers

One of the is 100 % wool (100 % polyster lining) : I am afraid of the bobbling of wool making it look crappy yet I've heard that wool garments hold their color alot better than synthetic-blended garments

The second one is 45% wool and 55% polyster : what encourages me is that it might be more "bobbling-resistant" because of the polyster yet I am afraid that it loses its color quickly and thus look crappy :/

Both are from Land's End by the way

2. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

I have no experience with those lands end blazers, but 100% wool is generally better than such a high poly blend. Wool is more breathable than polyester, and polyester is usually seen in low-quality garments (or vintage items from an era when poly was seen as the material of the marvelous future.) If you're worried about longevity, though, I wouldn't buy from lands end---their quality has taken a dive and they're no longer the stalwart clothier as in in the past. Additionally, pilling isn't a big issue in quality wool garments.

3. ATMFan95

ATMFan95 Member

Sure 100 % wool garment would beat a poly-blend garment anyday when it comes to the Texture , comfortability and holding its colour ( I even have a cheap wool sweater that is still looking great even though I hand wash it too often )

Unfortunately LE is the only option I wouldn't mind investing in a high quality blazer but L.E is the only one that offers a size that fits me perfectly ( they have about 7 Husky sizes and 7 regular sizes) as I am short yet with very broad shoulders so I usually either suffer from lengthy garments with right chest-fit or vice versa I am not really willing to pay too much for a blazer that would make me feel as if I inheirted it from Dad :D
    And yet I am afraid of bobbling :/

4. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

Why is LE your only option? Fit? As I mentioned, you shouldn't worry about pilling with a quality blazer.
    Quote: Ironically, I (and many others I know) would kill for a good blazer that was inherited.

5. ATMFan95

ATMFan95 Member

Depends on your body the first thing people notice is the fit (the length of the blazer with the body length and how the blazer fits the shoulders) and I am Short -less than 170 cm- so definitely wearing a lengthy (as the my problem is with the length usually ) blazer will make me look stupid even if the materials and finishing are great :/ It took me a very long time to find a blazer that is made with relatively good materials (most of the kids blazers are of synthetic materials or poly-blend materials ) and many brands don't give detailed information about the fit which might make it a gamble for me :/
    CK Kids - usually synthetic materials
    TH kids - not bad
    PRL kids - Great Materials and Great Finishing but I have to email them and know more about their XL size
    BB - I remember looking up their size chart and I think it wouldn't fit me at all when it comes to the Chest & shoulders
    The best thing about LE is that they offer the Husky kids fit -for kids with extra weight / with broad shoulders yet of short height - so it is easy for me to buy a blazer that fits me just well

6. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

Your height isn't very different from my own, and I've found that OTR suits aren't horribly fitting, assuming you have a tailor. I presume that you know to look for Short jackets, right? Not short as a general descriptor, but as a size, as in 42S? There's no need to be stuck in what you've found to be lower quality kids suits. Get a decent quality adult jacket in a Short size and take it to a competent tailor to fix anything that's not right.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017

7. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

Def. go with wool. if it bobbles a bit uses an electric bubble shaver.

Have you looked at M&S? they offer their blazers in short regular and long lengths. they also use good quality fabrics from English cloth-makers on some of their jackets.

8. ATMFan95

ATMFan95 Member

I hate to take something to the tailor ( tailors here are not really skilled ) and if it's a blazer that is to be shortened then I guess there is a risk he mess up with the pockets (if it needs to be shortened by 2 inches for example ) :/ even the wool kiids blazer might be alittle lengthy
    I still have quite time to look for something better I am buying a PRL kids polo ( never tried that before) so if it works I think that their blazer will fit ( They are made in Italy with good materials for kids blazers.. pretty good )But for small sizes in men's generally I will look but I am sure I won't find any :/

9. ATMFan95

ATMFan95 Member

I never thought of M&S as I always thought of them as low-end brandbut I guess I will take a look

10. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

If you buy a blazer off the rack, you WILL need to take it to a tailor. There's no question about it---something will not fit correctly, even if its as simple as the sleeves being too long. Where do you live? A good tailor can be hard to find, but most likely someone can provide advice on finding a nearby tailor. As a side note, a tailor wouldn't normally move the pockets---that's a very risky procedure that isn't likely to succeed, and its precisely why you should never buy a suit that is not the proper length. At 5'7", there's no way you cant find a suit that isn't the proper length, unless, e.g., 70% of your height is legs. What is your chest measurement? How wide is your shoulder measurement?

11. ATMFan95

ATMFan95 Member

Exactly that's the problem the length :/ I am 5'3 - 5'5 height but my chest is 36-37 inches (PRL S fits me right but usually the length doesn't but doesn't look stupid)
    Being Athletic and short is a problem indeed :/

12. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

I'm confused---earlier you said you were ~170cm (=5'7"), now you mention you're 5'3-5'5". Which is accurate? And, please confirm if you have tried on a 38S jacket or not.

13. ATMFan95

ATMFan95 Member

Sorry I meant I am less than 170 cm I never tried a blazer before but if talking about chest size I always go with Size S which usually -as they say- is for 35"-36" Chest size and it always fits me from the chest and shoulders but lengthy :/
    Oh I forgot to mention I live in Egypt so tailors & dry cleaners here are not of high level of professionalism"

14. ThomGault

ThomGault Senior member

So, how tall are you, in cm or inches, whichever is more accurate?
    In tailored clothing (e.g., suits, blazers, trousers), numerical sizes are superior to alphabetical sizes because you can get something much closer to your actual size. I don't know what stores are available near you, but try to find somewhere that stocks clothes which are sized by number and length. I'm sure a 36S will be difficult to find, but its not totally unreasonable to hope for a 38S. You'd most likely get better results taking the jacket in by 2" instead of shortening a jacket by 2".

15. ATMFan95

ATMFan95 Member

I am 165 cm I guess (65 inches) -or in that range (2 cm + or -)
    There is a store nearby (so I might give it a shot and then decide) I am trying to be very careful even though I only need the blazer to last for 3/4 years then I will definetly be able to invest in a high-end blazer