1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

wool and cashmere sock durability

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oscarthewild, Jan 7, 2005.

1. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Some of my wool & wool blend socks tend to wear much better than some of the others. Would like to know what other's experiences have been.

How about pantherella cashmere blends?

2. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

My Pantherella dress hose seem to wear well but they are difficult for me to find.

Alan Flusser's also hold up.

The worst in my experience are Ben Silver's wool hose. Six wearings and they have a hole somehere around the ankle.

I like the patterns but it's not terribly convenient to be buying hose every month.

Will

3. JleC

JleC Member

I picked up 4 pr of navy cashmere socks at TJ Maxx a while ago, and they last about 6 wearings before getting fuzzy and thin. For the price I paid (a few bucks) they are disposable, but I would stick with a mostly wool blend for socks.

4. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Try Ben Silver over-the-calf cashmere if you like work and aggravation. Washed twice in cold water (once by hand) and they're altogether pilled. Wool only is the watchword.

5. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

If anyone's interested, there's a bunch of Pantherella at STP: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/EUI....1FF617F Has anyone tried Corgi 100% cashmere? Barneys had a lot of pairs the last time I was there. They seemed very soft but $125 seems like a lot to pay just to have the Royal Warrant screened onto the sock. (And I assume that wears off eventually.)

6. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Sad to report but cashmere and most cashmere blend socks wearout after a few wearings. Even the thick Brioni all cashmere get holes after two or three wearings. Goldtoe polyester socks last as long as 20 years. Nevertheless, the cashmere socks are great and I take they to the tailor to be mended