1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wooden Soled Shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TopHatChef, Feb 28, 2012.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Also important: Wood does not bend. Leather does. Bending is pretty important for the sole of a shoe.

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I wear these when I am in the mood to party. The sole is indeed wooden..

[​IMG]

3. allman brotha

allman brotha Member

Thank you! My God....it's threads like this one that remind me why I have only like, fifteen posts on this site.

Here's a TRUE story: I went into the Zegna boutique on Madison Avenue in NY about a year ago....picked up a shoe. Commented on the rigidity of the leather sole, without using the word, "leather" to the salesman I was speaking to. He says, "Yeah, it's stiff like that because it's made of wood."

I said, "Aaah....I see...." and thanked him, and walked out. Have not been back in since. Frightening!

4. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Clogging, I believe.

5. md2010

md2010 Senior member

They are referring to the colour.

That is really a good point. And for human being to walk properly we will have to bend our feet which is not possible with wood. Some one could argue that "Ply Wood" will bend. True. But then ply wood has greater chance of snapping in half. And as I said earlier that due to Poor shock absorption of wood you will feel pain walking on them .

6. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Details & Care
    - Black high-shine leather Derby shoes
    - Thick contrasting light brown rubber-coated soles and heels, ribbon strip at back of heels, pull-on tabs at tongues
    - Outer: leather; lining: leather; soles: leather and rubber

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

:slayer:

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

The entire sole being wood sounds wrong, but shoes with wooden heels certainly do exist.

9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Show me, I'm from Missouri.

10. imperaman

imperaman Well-Known Member

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Those 'some' would be misinformed. Soft plywood will bend. There are other soft plywoods that will snap only because they don't employ cross-lamination.
    Hard Plywood will not bend or snap in half because of its material composition and construction. Each 'ply' or layer is cross-laminated to the other. This is deliberately done to prevent all the layers aligning their grain to one another. If each ply layers grain aligned with the one above/below that would allow for bending or warping. Plywood is very strong. I have a 3/4" thick sheet of hard plywood under my matress for extra support and in 10 years, with 2 people sleeping on it, it remains as straight as the day I put it there. Ny back is still crooked, by the plywood is still straight.
    One excellent example of hard plywood application is in a Yamaha piano pinblock. Cross-laminated hard plywood holds the string tension, about 20 tons of it, and can reliably perform for 100 years.

12. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Wow a lot of information. Sorry I was only referring to soft plywood . Becos I don't think hard ply wood allow foot to bend.

13. Kushal Kumar

Kushal Kumar New Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

No, you do not. Those soles are made of leather (Actually, given the content label on the sole, probably fake leather, or rubber painted to look like leather). Shoe soles are not ever made of wood. It's a really crappy material for soles (unless we're talking dutch clogs). The person who wrote the description saying those soles are made of wood is a moron.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  15. Kushal Kumar

Kushal Kumar New Member

Hey, thanks for clearing that up! Could you please tell me how to read content label on the sole?

16. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Quick and easy guide:

[​IMG]