• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woodbury Common this labor day weekend?

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello -

Just wondering if anyone is planning on going to the Woodbury Common this labor weekend? Are they having a sale this weekend?
Also, will the last call and off saks be getting some new stuff from the just finished summer sales in the main store?

thanks

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
There's a dirty little secret about retail- outlet malls. Most major labels have inferior merchandise created specifically for outlet malls so that consumers think they're getting a deal when they're really getting screwed.

Most of the merchandise that was in the real stores has been picked over and passed on by a LOT of people. Usually for a pretty good reason.

Caveat Emptor

waljo88

Reaction score
Ive never been to the woodbury outlets, but it sounds really good. Im mostly interested in ties, dress shirts, suits and shoes. Is it worth the trip. Has anyone been there recently and can advise on specific deals (ie prices, brands).

I just went to the off 5th in Buffalo, and it was a huge disappointment. There were no good suits, and the dress shirts were limited to hugo boss and ike behar, and none of the shirts were worth a second look.

These are some of the stores there, I would love some detailed adivce.

Giorgio Armani
Barneys New York Outlet
Dolce & Gabbana
Gucci
Hickey Freeman / Bobby Jones
Hugo Boss
Neiman Marcus Last Call
Saks Fifth Avenue - Off 5th
Salvatore Ferragamo
Versace
Zegna Outlet Store

Also is there a specifc time when I should make a trip during the year. I know its best to get deals in January/February & In July/August at the flagship stores, but how about these discount outlets.

AlonzoMosely

Reaction score
Here is my opinion on Woodbury Common, FWIW:

1) The stores that sell their own brand name (e.g., ferragamo, tods, hickey freeman, etc.) never have as good deals as the department store outlets (e.g., Last Call and Off 5th) that sell that brand and the prices are not a whole lot better on average than a sale at your local full retail department store, and the selection is a whole lot worse.

2) The exception to the above rule is the Zegna outlet, which, when I was there in June, had plenty of stuff at 50-70% off retail. But, of course, 70% off of a very large number is still usually too expensive for me.

3) If I go on a random Tuesday, first thing in the morning, with no special events going on, it is just a little too crowded and full of tourists for me. Thus, I would avoid labor day weekend like the plague.

So, in summary, there are random good deals to be had, but it is usually a hassle and only worth going if you live close by or happen to be passing through on your way to someplace else.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlonzoMosely
2) The exception to the above rule is the Zegna outlet, which, when I was there in June, had plenty of stuff at 50-70% off retail. But, of course, 70% off of a very large number is still usually too expensive for me.

80% of the stuff at the Zegna outlet is junk that Zegna specifically makes for the outlets, hence the large markdowns. You aren't going to fin any Napoli Couture suits there, but you will find suits made in Mexico. The only thing ever worth it there are the shoes and they currently have nothing worthwhile.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually there were couple of Zegna couture suits on sale last time I went , but still 1000+. But you are right, I wouldn't go there just for it, as I going upstate this weekend, figure I will pass by to see what they have.

waljo88

Reaction score
Can you give me an example with specific prices.

I see they have the Zegna suits for a $1000+

How about a tie, or a dress shirt, anything specific that can be had.

How about a typical hugo boss shirt you can grab at nordstroms for $100.
or a $200 to $300 dress shirt in basic colors from Saks, how much would they be.

How about a canali suit, can one be had for $600 to $700.

Or a tie that would range from $120 to $200 for Armani to Gucci.

Or is this outlet have just stuff that nobody wants.

I just wanted specific deals, so I can guage if I want to make the 6 hour trip.

I keep hearing about these awesome deals, but I have yet to see them. I know thats because most of my shopping has been in Detroit (Sommerset mall, which has a nieman Marcus, Nordstroms,Saks & even the Macys had some great stuff - but nothing on sale, even the Loehmans sucked - it had nothing, the nordstrom rack was discusting) Cleveland (Saks - some great stuff - but nothing on sale, Nordstroms - is where I have done some considerable shopping) and Buffalo (off 5th & Syms - total crap) as Im from Canada.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like Canali and you are a size 46 (56 Euro) , don't bother woodbury, there are many for sell @ about 600 on bluefly.com

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When going for there, please don't stop in, a bad place name, New City , which is not a city, but a bearded nationalist, truck station. Almost, I didn;t survive due, to a sagging muffle, which I repair with, some Church laces .

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most stuff at outlets are made specifically FOR outlets.

that tells you a lot about what their range of quality is.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The best deals are probably at NM last call. I just picked up a $1900 Isaia jacket for $180 after all my discounts, so a few gems can be found.

The Saks off fith is less interesting. As is Barney's.

Etro will have great deals during their sales, though the shirts never go on sale. And Theory, if that's your taste.

Other than that ... not much of interest.

lefty

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Are you talking about Woodbury Commons in Woodbury, New York (on Long Island)? Or, are you talking about the Woodbury Commons in Woodbury, New Jersey?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads