• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wood shoe tree for travel?

GBer

Reaction score
Any advice for the travelers? Should you take a wood shoe tree with you? Can't rotate shoes as often and shoe will not get much of breather except when you sleep. Only drawback is space and weight, especially if you have only carry-on.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While travel, don't bother with wood tree. Your socks work wonder.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
While travel, don't bother with wood tree. Your socks work wonder.

Massive +1 on this. I made a mistake of carrying a pair of wooden shoe trees the first time I went travelling.

Second time I stuffed them full with socks. If you're going backpacking the key is less weight and more space.

factorial

Reaction score
As long as you're taking another pair of shoes in your bag ANYWAYS, yeah just put trees in those shoes. It's not like they weigh that much, and the only thing you can fit inside shoes is socks (which can easily get stuffed somewhere else), so you're not really saving any space by not taking the trees.

I travel on a weekly basis for 1-4 days at a time, I generally wear one pair of shoes and pack a pair of running shoes for exercise, trees go in the running shoes for travel then come out and go in the dress shoes at the end of every day.

This is assuming normal travel for work or for pleasure, not something where you're backpacking across Europe or climbing the Himalayas and need to conserve on weight. The weight of shoe trees is negligible inside of a standard rolling carry-on.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by factorial
As long as you're taking another pair of shoes in your bag ANYWAYS, yeah just put trees in those shoes.

+1.

Any time my trip is long enough to require two pairs, I bring a trees in the second pair and let them reside in whatever shoes I'm not wearing that day.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can always use crumpled newspaper (loosely packed) as a temporary fix.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe trees do weigh a lot - especially if you're carting them around all day! An extra few lbs can mean the difference between a gruelling day's travel and a pleasant one - trust me!

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of plastic trees I use for travel.............work great!

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about travelling as in backpacking or as in suitcasing it? If it's backpacking - they would be the last things I'd take.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually stuff the shoes I'm packing with socks or underwear. The wood trees add weight.

GBer

Reaction score
Plane travel with suitcase - perhaps a train, but rarely.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I am on shorter weekend trips I usually do not bring shoe trees with me, but if I go somewhere for a week or more I will usually bring shoe trees, assuming this is travel where I am arriving at one location and staying there.

-LR

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
I have a pair of plastic trees I use for travel.............work great!

I thought part of the reason for using wood trees is to have them draw out moisture from the shoes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads