• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wood furniture polish

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My table is now finally stained. It's a shame I no longer have my digicam for pics. It is paccawood (from the rubber tree), stained with many coats of ebony-colored Minwax Wood Finish (oil-based) and then topped with a few coats of Minwax Polycrylic clearcoat. What polish should I use? Is Pledge fine? I read that tung oil is recommended.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems like if you have an acrylic coating, oil isn't going to do anything for you. it won't soak through to the wood like it's supposed to, will it?

pledge is fine, but it builds up over time. makes it shiny and slick.

you're probably okay with just a damp rag and then a chamois cloth or microfiber.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Parawood, you mean?

Tung oil is great as a finish, and to refresh oil finishes -- as fb noted, not good on top of an acrylic, and it might never dry! Really anything should be fine that isn't a penetrating oil.

Regards,
Huntsma

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Depending on how badly the table is stained, you might consider sanding down the top and refinishing the surface. It's relatively easy to do with a small palm sander...

I agree that Pledge will not do much for you in this case and I doubt that my other favorite, http://www.scottsliquidgold.com/ will do much for you either.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks. Although I am very pleased with the table it sounds like I could have gotten a better stain. I might sell it at a profit and buy another one.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a reply from my uncle who makes furniture:

Pledge is fine, or any of the orange oil, oil/wax,
furniture care polishes. With PU topcoats he could use pretty much anything
with no problems. Just wipe it on and buff it off - no big deal. If he
wants to build a finish over time he could use Briwax Natural or another
hard wax and build several coats which will buff to whatever sheen he wants,
but it's hardly worth it. Wipe and go is my vote.

Jill

Reaction score
agree with everyone here who says that once you have an acrylic finish, then oils are somewhat pointless. For future reference, though, our woodworking shop guys (who deal exclusively with high-end hardwoods) recommend 2-3 coats of tung oil to bring out the natural colors of the grain. Then once it is well soaked in, a couple of them prefer (ready for this?) turtle wax. That's right - the kind that you're supposed to put on your car!

I've not tried it yet, but since they made our latest merchandising display rack, I'm going to give it a try once I get around to it. I'll let ya know how it goes!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads