• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wondering if i'm being screwed (paid cash for iphone and don't have it yet)

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I only question why GQGeek is so upset about getting screwed. I can only imagine it's the most action he's gotten in years.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Geek.... so everybody's bashing and stuff, I'm not going to add to the pileon... I'll say this, what I think you should consider doing is to go to the store and get your money back...

Now the HOW is what nobody's really talked about and I think it'll make all the difference. even though you may be getting edgy and stuff, I think walking in there pissed off and demanding your money isn't a good approach. they'll get defensive and yell back. So I'd make a copy of the reciept to keep at home incase, then take them the reciept and say...

"I came in on X day... you said that you would have the phone. I paid for the phone, you told me it would be in stock Y day or around then. I returned several times and you don't have the product. I've paid you for something and you haven't given me any product back. You haven't sold me anything yet! The money I've paid doesn't belong to you yet because you haven't given me the product, all you've given me is a promise... and at this point you haven't fulfilled that promise. I am putting this transaction on hold for now, I want my money back now please and when you get these phones in stock, here's my name and number, let me know and I'll come get one" .... all in a calm collected manner.

or something along those lines.
Anyway, good luck. don't stress too much, but I would deal with this asap.
assume it'll work out, don't go in with the attitude that they've screwed you. for all you know it's still perfectly legit.

Or you could do this...
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to pile on (okay, not really
smile.gif
), but why did you pay with cash in the first place? Did the seller offer you a significant discount for a cash purchase? The only times I use cash instead of credit are (1) a purchase under $10, (2) drinks at a bar so I don't have to wait for a busy bartender to retrieve my card and run it, and (3) splitting the cost of a restaurant meal with a group.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Hey Geek.... so everybody's bashing and stuff, I'm not going to add to the pileon... I'll say this, what I think you should consider doing is to go to the store and get your money back...

Now the HOW is what nobody's really talked about and I think it'll make all the difference. even though you may be getting edgy and stuff, I think walking in there pissed off and demanding your money isn't a good approach. they'll get defensive and yell back. So I'd make a copy of the reciept to keep at home incase, then take them the reciept and say...

"I came in on X day... you said that you would have the phone. I paid for the phone, you told me it would be in stock Y day or around then. I returned several times and you don't have the product. I've paid you for something and you haven't given me any product back. You haven't sold me anything yet! The money I've paid doesn't belong to you yet because you haven't given me the product, all you've given me is a promise... and at this point you haven't fulfilled that promise. I am putting this transaction on hold for now, I want my money back now please and when you get these phones in stock, here's my name and number, let me know and I'll come get one" .... all in a calm collected manner.

Really good advice.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I hate to pile on (okay, not really
smile.gif
), but why did you pay with cash in the first place? Did the seller offer you a significant discount for a cash purchase? The only times I use cash instead of credit are (1) a purchase under $10, (2) drinks at a bar so I don't have to wait for a busy bartender to retrieve my card and run it, and (3) splitting the cost of a restaurant meal with a group.

Dunno. I had it in my pocket. Maybe it's a case of never having been burned. I've paid cash for tons of stuff in my life, often relatively expensive things, and never had a problem. I'd bought from this place before. My friend used to be tight with the owner. And the guy i know that used to buy phones from them for his company probably bought 20 iPhones from there (for gifts). I guess i'll see what happens today. No matter what happens though, i'll be using my credit card for just about everything from now on.
facepalm.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter

or something along those lines.
Anyway, good luck. don't stress too much, but I would deal with this asap.
assume it'll work out, don't go in with the attitude that they've screwed you. for all you know it's still perfectly legit.

Or you could do this...
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lol @ stewie. Anyway, i'll go in with a level-head. Hopefully it'll be ok.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO YOU FEEL M0MMY'5 D0GGY?
---------------------------------------------------------------
N0 MORE! those times are over. GET INSTANT G33KING 100%!!!!
Did you ever think..... it doesnt w0rk!?
Now it does! Read on--Iphone2000(TM) this will help you GUARANTEED

My friends told me: "mommy's doggy mommy's doggy" to which I had one reply
G33KING 24 Hours
ONLY with our Iphone2000(TM)!!!
Dr. Store-owner says: "I saw it work like magic." (Store-owner is TRUSTED source
in the field.)

Try it for free NOW!
JUST $749... to good to be troo? I thouhgt s0 too ....at first.
Try it now. CLICK HERE
www.buy-iphone2000.com

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
DO YOU FEEL M0MMY'5 D0GGY?
---------------------------------------------------------------
N0 MORE! those times are over. GET INSTANT G33KING 100%!!!!
Did you ever think..... it doesnt w0rk!?
Now it does! Read on--Iphone2000(TM) this will help you GUARANTEED

My friends told me: "mommy's doggy mommy's doggy" to which I had one reply
G33KING 24 Hours
ONLY with our Iphone2000(TM)!!!
Dr. Store-owner says: "I saw it work like magic." (Store-owner is TRUSTED source
in the field.)

Try it for free NOW!
JUST $749... to good to be troo? I thouhgt s0 too ....at first.
Try it now. CLICK HERE
www.buy-iphone2000.com

Wow, nailed it, right down to the font.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found out the guy I've been dealing with isn't the owner. I also spoke to a friend that knew the original owner (the new guy's ex-partner) and some of what went on, and to sum it up, the guy is a total douchebag that can't be trusted. So, when I went in to the store today I brought a friend to witness what went on, just in case. I spoke to the same guy again. He told me the same story again and that they had been expecting a shipment this week, and that they really did have one in stock when he sold it to me but that they fried it when they were unlocking it (i don't believe this part at all). I told him that when he sold me the phone, he said they had one in stock, and that i needed a phone like yesterday a week ago, so i either needed the phone or a full refund. He said he understood and that I should come back in the afternoon. I asked him if we had a deal that I would either get my phone or my money back this afternoon, and he said yes. They're still not giving me warm fuzzy feelings, so if they stroke me again this afternoon, I'm gonna give them formal notice of my intent to sue, in which case it will be for court costs, lost wages, and the money I paid them.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Even if they are running some sort of scam, I can't imagine going to court with me would be worth it for them over a single iPhone. I checked around and they're not really advertising iPhones, which they would be doing if they were planning a "go out of business and steal as much money beforehand as possible" routine, so I'm hopeful that it will all be ok.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I found out the guy I've been dealing with isn't the owner. I also spoke to a friend that knew the original owner (the new guy's ex-partner) and some of what went on, and to sum it up, the guy is a total douchebag that can't be trusted.

So, when I went in to the store today I brought a friend to witness what went on, just in case. I spoke to the same guy again. He told me the same story again and that they had been expecting a shipment this week, and that they really did have one in stock when he sold it to me but that they fried it when they were unlocking it (i don't believe this part at all).

I told him that when he sold me the phone, he said they had one in stock, and that i needed a phone like yesterday a week ago, so i either needed the phone or a full refund. He said he understood and that I should come back in the afternoon. I asked him if we had a deal that I would either get my phone or my money back this afternoon, and he said yes.

They're still not giving me warm fuzzy feelings, so if they stroke me again this afternoon, I'm gonna give them formal notice of my intent to sue, in which case it will be for court costs, lost wages, and the money I paid them.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Even if they are running some sort of scam, I can't imagine going to court with me would be worth it for them over a single iPhone.

GQGeek taking care of business!!
rolleyes.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why would you sue? Call the police and report the theft. Better if you can call directly from the store and have the cops come straight there. Use your cell phone. Oh, wait. Sorry. Borrow a cell phone.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Call the cops? Aren't they for emergencies? I thought you had to use small claims court for disputes with merchants and stuff like that.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
They're still not giving me warm fuzzy feelings, so if they stroke me again this afternoon, I'm gonna give them formal notice of my intent to sue, in which case it will be for court costs, lost wages, and the money I paid them.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Even if they are running some sort of scam, I can't imagine going to court with me would be worth it for them over a single iPhone. I checked around and they're not really advertising iPhones, which they would be doing if they were planning a "go out of business and steal as much money beforehand as possible" routine, so I'm hopeful that it will all be ok.

are you serious?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I was gonna go to court and had to waste my time screwing around with this **** instead of earning money, why not? It's not like I've done anything wrong here. The only thing i'm guilty of is maybe being too trusting. Don't know if the judge would factor it in or not, but why wouldn't I put it on there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads