• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wondering how dated this blazer is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braindamage1

Reaction score
Thinking about buying this used RLBL blazer but wondering how dated it looks and not sure about a blazer with peak lapels. Want it for work wear when just a tie is not enough but a suit is too much.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks fine, but it depends on you - eg age etc.

Braindamage1

Reaction score
Pushing 40 but not there yet. Typically dress conservative but don't want to look like a slouch.

avantengarde

Reaction score
Kind of depends on your style I guess. I never really class any clothing as dated, I'm always buying vintage clothing etc and personally peaked lapels are my fav. Blazer looks cool to me so guess it just depends on how you wear it :)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic menswear - as opposed to "fashion" menswear - tends to age very slowly and gracefully. I have items (sportcoats, suits) in my closet from 20+ years ago, which I can wear without appearing in any way dated.

The key is to avoid details which represent stylistic extremes, as these tend to be "in" for a relatively brief time, then look ridiculous. For example, Enormous lapels/extremely thin lapels, "trendy" colors/fabrics (so no lime green polyester leisure suits), fits which are either laughably snug and short, or those where are so generous as to scream "I'm from 1952!"

The blazer pictured is not obviously dated.

That having been said, I don't care for peak lapels for businesswear, but I suppose other people, in other places, or in other types of offices/professions, may see absolutely nothing wrong with it. And even I have little objection to it when worn in a non-work setting.

For that matter, I don't really care for wearing a blazer to the office. A suit can be fine. A sportcoat might even be okay. But a blazer isn't exactly the same as a sportcoat (or at least it's a rather specific and distinct subset of the larger set "sportcoat"), and at least in my admittedly conservative opinion, it represents "social occasion," and not "at work."

(I do, however, like blazers just fine, and wear them not infrequently. Simply not at work.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads