• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Won this auction

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I know I'm asking after the fact, but I won this auction for a Joseph Abboud linen suit and was looking for opinions. Abboud Suit Your thoughts? Bradford

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a linen guy in general, but I think for a warm weather Arizona (bast-rd.) suit it was a nice find at that price point. There are a few details I'm not crazy about -- would have like it to be two button, and I would have like quartered pockets instead of piped pockets. But overall, a nice buy.

Do you ever wear wool suits in Arizona during the summer or is it too oppressive?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Abboud seems to get kind of a bad rap around here, but I own two Abboud suits. While a better constructed suit can no doubt be had (both of mine are definitely fused), I have to say that I'm very impressed with the fit of my Abboud suits. They seem to work well for my build (narrow waste, broad(er) chest - I'm not Ah-nold or anything). I also find that Abboud makes color choices which are appealing to me.

The suit you won looks like a good choice for Spring and Summer, and the price was certainly right. Enjoy.

Jeff

Richie_Rich

Reaction score
Looks like crap to me. But what the hell, you only paid 100 bucks

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a linen guy in general, but I think for a warm weather Arizona (bast-rd.) suit it was a nice find at that price point. There are a few details I'm not crazy about -- would have like it to be two button, and I would have like quartered pockets instead of piped pockets. But overall, a nice buy. Do you ever wear wool suits in Arizona during the summer or is it too oppressive?
It's 83 outside today
biggrin.gif
Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know I'm asking after the fact, but I won this auction for a Joseph Abboud linen suit and was looking for opinions. Abboud Suit Your thoughts? Bradford
Gorge is too low for my tastes. The person who put the auction up should have ironed the suit before he posted it on ebay, having it all wrinkle is just so unprofessional. Jon.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like crap to me. But what the hell, you only paid 100 bucks
Charming words. I wish some of our members had a little (more) tact.

Anyway, nice suit. Now go find a steamer on ebay.

PS: What a wierd eBay ID, Brad. Where did you think of that?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think "crap" is a bit harsh no more what the opinion. However, I also disagree substantively. I generaly like linen and think this is a nice suit. I also think Abboud's stuff is a tad under-rated for what it is. I have a nice brown wool/linen (mostly wool) that has held up well and is cut nicely. (I can wear my brown FIHTies ties very well with it).

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think "crap" is a bit harsh no more what the opinion. However, I also disagree substantively. I generaly like linen and think this is a nice suit. I also think Abboud's stuff is a tad under-rated for what it is. I have a nice brown wool/linen (mostly wool) that has held up well and is cut nicely. (I can wear my brown FIHTies ties very well with it).
Brown ties are for FARMER.

Jon.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237,Mar. 16 2005,13:39
I think "crap" is a bit harsh no more what the opinion. Â However, I also disagree substantively. Â I generaly like linen and think this is a nice suit. Â I also think Abboud's stuff is a tad under-rated for what it is. Â I have a nice brown wool/linen (mostly wool) that has held up well and is cut nicely. Â (I can wear my brown FIHTies ties very well with it).
Brown ties are for FARMER. Jon.
Actually, under the Official Farmer's Dress Code, green ties, not brown, are for farmer.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Richie Rich -- you talk a big game for your 34 posts.

This is a recent suit (it's NWT after all) -- it won't look dated.

Also, I just picked up a chocolate brown zegna with small floating paisleys -- $15 at Filene's Basement. I will go great with my farmer suits.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks everyone -

RR - Well I hope it doesn't look like crap when it arrives...

JN - I try and avoid wearing anything too heavy in the summer. I generally only wear a suit coat or sportjacket if a new client is coming to the office, once I've met them I don't even bother with that. You know how it is here - even hotter than Tucson. That's why I'm hopeful that linen will be comfortable.

FYI - It's only supposed to get up to 72 today. But don't blame me for your choice to go to Boston, you could always move back - lots of law firms and fellow Lancers you'd know here in Phoenix.

JBZ & FIH - Thanks for the comments. We do actually have a steamer, but it's buried somewhere along with the rest of the wedding presents that we've never taken out of their boxes.

I'll post as to what I actually think of the suit once it arrives.

Bradford

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads