Won these on Ebay - Are the C&J?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rajesh06, May 22, 2006.

1. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

2. pdavie0

pdavie0 Active Member

They are C&J

FYI, they run quite long... and are stocked in the Rhinelander mansion if you are interested. Think 337 long and narrow, though the last is a bit different. I believe its a bit slimmer through the quarters.

nct

Do u think I can fit into an 8 if I usually wear 8.5-9. The seller is out of 8.5[​IMG]

3. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

---
    novaguy, but what about the suede derby with channeled soles above? the same medallion seems pretty suggestive me that the channeled shoes are c&j.

anyway, still a good deal I think even if they aren't.

I think they're C&J. The medallion matches one of C&J's stock medallions and the channel soles appear to be near identical.

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Yes Virginia, they're C&J. The R&Jman knows.

5. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

I got the same shoes from the same seller. Yes, they are C&J, just like RJman said.

6. Flip

Flip Member

No. Made in Italy.

NoVaguy,

Thanks for the information.

But now I'm wondering why the seller states very clearly in the auction they're made in England.

I talk to one of the Polo stores and they as well said they were English.

So the Carlsons are most likely not CJ but on top of that they're made in Italy?

7. Sid

Sid Senior member

Are the Polo Marlow's C&J as well?

8. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Here are some pictures of the Polo Chawner v. the C&J Weymouth. There are a lot of similarities. (I took multiple pictures to compensate for differences in the position of the shoes).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm still not sure if the insides are comparable, but I do think these Polo was made by C&J. The toe profile and the sweep of the vamp appear to have slight differences, but I'm not sure if that's a manufacturing or last difference. I'll need a third shoe to check that.

btw - dare - the issue, iirc, has never been whether the stitched aloft shoes (such as the Darlton/Marlowe) made in England shoes were C&J. Everybody agrees with that. the issue and question was whether the newer, channelled lines were C&J, and were handgrades on the 337.

NOVA- What size are your Chawmers and Weymouths and how do they fit compared to one another?

9. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

NoVaguy,

Thanks for the information.

But now I'm wondering why the seller states very clearly in the auction they're made in England.

I talk to one of the Polo stores and they as well said they were English.

So the Carlsons are most likely not CJ but on top of that they're made in Italy?

He probably re-used the wrong "base" or "template" page, which had preentered infromation. I've done it myself on my auctions. GVH is very legitimate, but it helps to know the product before you bid.

10. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

NOVA- What size are your Chawmers and Weymouths and how do they fit compared to one another?

The Polo chawmer is a 10.5D (purchased from GVH), the Weymouth is a 9.5E. Fit seems to be identical. Lots of space in the toe, snug in the quarters.

hmmm, I need to get a rug for background purposes....

11. Flip

Flip Member

He probably re-used the wrong "base" or "template" page, which had preentered infromation. I've done it myself on my auctions. GVH is very legitimate, but it helps to know the product before you bid.

Thanks for the response.

I've bought from GVH before and they are a great company, but it is obvious that I need more time on this site so I can spot these things like you all can.

Thanks for the help.

12. rajesh06

rajesh06 Senior member

13. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-POLO-RALPH-L...QQcmdZViewItem

Are these C&J?

I'm not sure. I think so, but this is harder to confirm. It's a very plain shoe, and therefore has less details for comparision purposes. That being said, the nail pattern on the heel looks like a C&J pattern.

14. thinman

thinman Senior member

no, the carlsons are some italian made shoe.
    ---
    novaguy, but what about the suede derby with channeled soles above? the same medallion seems pretty suggestive me that the channeled shoes are c&j.

anyway, still a good deal I think even if they aren't.

I bought a pair of the Alton suede wingtip derbies during the RL sale last fall and C&J confirmed in an email that they are Handgrades on the 337 last. FWIW, I went down 1/2 size, from US 12D to US 11.5D for these shoes (I had tried them on in the Georgetown store the previous August). They are just a smidge tight in the toebox, but not uncomfortably so.

15. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Here are some pictures of the Polo Chawner v. the C&J Weymouth. There are a lot of similarities. (I took multiple pictures to compensate for differences in the position of the shoes).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm still not sure if the insides are comparable, but I do think these Polo was made by C&J. The toe profile and the sweep of the vamp appear to have slight differences, but I'm not sure if that's a manufacturing or last difference. I'll need a third shoe to check that.

btw - dare - the issue, iirc, has never been whether the stitched aloft shoes (such as the Darlton/Marlowe) made in England shoes were C&J. Everybody agrees with that. the issue and question was whether the newer, channelled lines were C&J, and were handgrades on the 337.

Nice Weymouths!! [​IMG] Sorry about the Polo Chukka's, but I am currently bootless.