• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Won an eBay dispute!

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently I purchased some shoes that, upon receipt, had significant damage to them. I told the seller this and they refunded me the purchase price but not the shipping price. I felt this was unfair, because if the damage had been disclosed I wouldn't have spent the money to buy or ship them, but they ignored my complaint. I filed a dispute and lo and behold, last night I won!

Here is the context:

Originally Posted by unjung
vincentferrari sold me a pair of shoes with a huge hole in the toe. Not disclosed in the ad. They refunded the purchase price but not the shipping. Should I dispute via PP?

Originally Posted by jhcam8
The original that they paid or your return shipping?

They refunded the $40 or so I spent on the shoes. I paid another $20 to ship. They refunded the former only. I am out $20 because they were too lazy to inspect the shoe before selling.

Originally Posted by jhcam8
Maybe it's worth a try -- that's a large %. I haven't had any luck getting reimbursed for return shipping but it can't be a big deal to lodge a dispute.

Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
I'm afraid you are out of luck. Ebay/Paypal Buyer Protection only refunds the original sale price plus shipping you paid to get the item. You are required to pay return shipping, regardless of the condition. It is written into their rules so the only chance you have of getting it is if the seller agrees to give it to you, for instance, if he cares about the feedback you might leave him.

It's the shipping I paid to get the item to me that they won't refund. I never sent the item back, as they never asked.

Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
That does change things, but not much. If you were to open a claim and demand the original shipping, which Ebay/Paypal will give you, you are required to return the item, with a tracking number, and the return shipping will not be refunded. So, if the return shipping is going to be close to the original shipping it would be a wash. If you got the $40 and got to keep the item it seems like you might have come out ahead, at least moreso than most do. So to your original question as to whether you should file a dispute with Paypal, the answer would still be no. On the other hand, a strongly worded message to the seller indicating your unhappiness that the shipping was not refunded and failing to refund the shipping would likely result in your having to leave poor feedback might nudge them in the right direction.

Unfortunately I left feedback before inspecting the item.
ffffuuuu.gif

Originally Posted by meister
The fact you have to pay for registered postage of returned defective items (especially from A/a) is my biggest beef with eBay. The last one cost me AUD50. Yet I WON the dispute. Then eBay tells you it looking after the buyer!

And last night, I received this:

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favor.

You have indicated that a partial refund of $23.50 USD would be
satisfactory.

If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed
to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the
seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account
privileges.
boxing[1].gif
laugh.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will pay you $23.50 for the last sixty seconds of my life back.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand. Sometimes time and effort isn't what it's all about.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Small timers. You think Vox became who he is by burning twenties? I laugh at you all.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Small timers. You think Vox became who he is by burning twenties? I laugh at you all.

Vox became who he is by burning $100s. Other people's $100s.

I notice that I am not getting my minute back, and have decided to seek monetary damages. I have invoiced you for the $23.50. Check your paypal.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Vox became who he is by burning $100s. Other people's $100s.
Exactly. Vox is well-known as an artiste. Actually, this thread would be of interest to Vox, as we are talking about AEs here (although possibly firsts - but heavily damaged firsts = seconds?).

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
unjung;3722038 said:
Recently I purchased some shoes that, upon receipt, had significant damage to them. I told the seller this and they refunded me the purchase price but not the shipping price. I felt this was unfair, because if the damage had been disclosed I wouldn't have spent the money to buy or ship them, but they ignored my complaint. I filed a dispute and lo and behold, last night I won!

Here is the context:

Have you got any kids or a lovely girlfriend to pass time with?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Animal Thug
If they were these, I got burned by the same seller:

myshoe10np.jpg

Does Animal Thug refer to your dog ... the dog that attacked those shoes?

franz_sanchez

Reaction score
What type of Shoes did you purchase? What brand were the shoes? What condition were the shoes suppose to be in? I would interested to know a little bit more. I haven't had anything like this happen to me. I have bought plenty of things on Ebay and didn't have any problem. I do understand though when you do things like return an item they won't refund you the shipping price.

A couple of weeks ago I sold and item. I ran into a problem because I got a message from seller saying I hadn't shipped them item. The problem I had was the person had purchased an item I was selling. I allow people to pay up to 7 days from auctions close to pay for the item. The person paid 7 days after the item ended. I later shipped the item but not until it had been over a week since the person had paid the $25 including shipping for item. I eventually shipped the item but I guess after 5 or 6 days since the auction ended I wasn't sure if the person was even going to pay for the item or not. I have had that happen before sometimes.

You expect people will probably to pay with a day or two of the auctions close. When I purchase things on ebay I usually pay within the first day or two after the auction ended. I sell things all the time and have gotten used to people paying within a day or two after the auction ends. I would think you would want to receive the item as soon as possible. You wouldn't wait 1 week to pay with pay pal for the item. Now maybe something came up and the person couldn't send the money what they had purchased.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by franz_sanchez
What type of Shoes did you purchase? What brand were the shoes? What condition were the shoes suppose to be in? I would interested to know a little bit more. I haven't had anything like this happen to me. I have bought plenty of things on Ebay and didn't have any problem. I do understand though when you do things like return an item they won't refund you the shipping price.

A couple of weeks ago I sold and item. I ran into a problem because I got a message from seller saying I hadn't shipped them item. The problem I had was the person had purchased an item I was selling. I allow people to pay up to 7 days from auctions close to pay for the item. The person paid 7 days after the item ended. I later shipped the item but not until it had been over a week since the person had paid the $25 including shipping for item. I eventually shipped the item but I guess after 5 or 6 days since the auction ended I wasn't sure if the person was even going to pay for the item or not. I have had that happen before sometimes.

You expect people will probably to pay with a day or two of the auctions close. When I purchase things on ebay I usually pay within the first day or two after the auction ended. I sell things all the time and have gotten used to people paying within a day or two after the auction ends. I would think you would want to receive the item as soon as possible. You wouldn't wait 1 week to pay with pay pal for the item. Now maybe something came up and the person couldn't send the money what they had purchased.

Dude, when your writing a sentence on a forum you really need to learn sentence structure when writing on a forum. There is no need to repeat the exact same points in every single sentence when writing on a forum. Not only that, your comment you wrote on this forum has pretty much nothing to do with this thread on this forum other than the fact that it refers to some kind of ebay squabble.

From what I can decipher after reading what you wrote a few times, it seems you sold something to some guy on Ebay and you require payment within 7 days. For whatever reason, this guy waited until the 7th day to pay, which is still ok since your the one who told him it was fine to do in the first place. You then took 6 more days to ship it to him. Why did you wait so long to send him his item? You are the one with the policy of letting people wait 7 days to pay. That doesnt mean you have to make him wait another 6 days before shipping it to him.

I personally hate it when I buy something on ebay and get an email 5 or 6 days later saying they just shipped it. It sucks enough waiting a week for something you ordered and paid for to come in the mail. Adding another 6 days of waiting while the seller sits around instead of going to the post office isnt cool at all.

Lets get back to the original boring useless thread.

franz_sanchez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
I personally hate it when I buy something on ebay and get an email 5 or 6 days later saying they just shipped it. It sucks enough waiting a week for something you ordered and paid for to come in the mail. Adding another 6 days of waiting while the seller sits around instead of going to the post office isnt cool at all. Lets get back to the original boring useless thread.
I know how you feel. There is an ebay seller I purchased from That_Yellow_Store. I had purchased the item on a Tuesday but it wasn't till Monday the next week item was listed as being shipped. I figured the guy probably only ships once a week or something. I read some of the negative comments the seller received like 13 days to ship! NO WAY , no invoice sent. just a jack***

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics