• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women without hosiery . . .

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
My sister wore nothing but Charles Jourdan shoes; we own several hundred pairs. They were brilliantly engineered. Made and designed in Paris. K. had no trouble wearing hem, for sixteen hour days, WITH hosiery. She still can, at age 54. As a matter of fact, we don't buy shoes for her, these days. I think most of them, are hideous.

Sorry, I will not change my opinion. No stockings is an uncivilized look, to my eye.
1044re2.jpg

Sixteen hour days, Fabienne . . . without a single foot problem, to her history. An absolutely perfect, fit. I still have my Jourdans, too . . . the best shoes I've ever worn.

OK, thanks for the tip, I'll give Jourdan another try, if I come upon them.

Bah, forget the conversation, it must be cultural. The first thing that befuddled me in the US was to see women wearing hosiery with sandals in the summer. When the company announced hosiery was no longer imposed in the summer as part of the dress code, I, a French woman, a Mexican woman and a Belgian woman all cheered. That meant I could wear half of my summer shoes at work again. The Mexican graphic designer had been wearing long skirts and defying the code.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabienne . . . don't bother with Jourdans, these days. They are NOT, what they used to be. That's why we kept our originals. That house went to seed, about fifteen years ago. I wouldn't spit on what they make, now. Same with Saint Laurent. We own one of the world's largest collections of Rive Gauche. That's what my sister, wears. We never buy any of what's out, now. Compared to what's in our closets . . . it's garbage.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pics, Ivan -- I couldn't see the images before. But it seems that all of your models (at least those whose feet we can see) are wearing closed-toe shoes, and as I think about it, that type of conservative shoe would usually look ridiculous (trashy?) without hosiery.

But I think the trend we're seeing these days is largely due to the fact that many, many women now wear much more open shoes, even in conservative professional settings. When not dressed in boots in the colder months, many women most often seem to favor either dressy sandals (flat or high-heeled) or those ridiculous, god-awful ballet-slipper type shoes. At least that's my casual impression -- I'll have to pay closer attention to women's footwear choices for a while.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
81bf-1.jpg

Quirk, this trend applies not just to open shoes, but to closed shoes, as well. It is beyond ridiculous to see a woman wearing a fur coat on Michigan Avenue, minus stockings, in high heels. I mean, it is absurd. Goosebump, city. The sandals you see in this shot, are almost thirty years old. My sister wore them with sheer stockings, had no trouble walking in them, and danced while wearing them, too.

I wouldn't take a suggestion from Anna Wintour, if she stood on her head and walked backwards, to prove a point. The woman is a fashion victim, par excellence. She has no taste. No sense of style. No idea of proportion. I wouldn't use the clothes she wears, to clean my toilets.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
858cre2.jpg

This add from VOGUE, is from July, 1979. These legs look pretty good, to me. Also . . . remember that Robert Palmer video?? Addicted to Love??? See any bare legs, in that piece?? Not a one . . . ALL, with a sheer, black stocking.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
palmer2-tm.jpg

untitled-5.jpg

take your pick . . .

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I`m not sure what the "rules" are for women, but I'm not a big fan of the stockings with open toe (sandals) shoes either.

I prefer women wear nice stockings with closed toe dress shoes though.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
palmer2-tm.jpg

untitled-5.jpg

take your pick . . .

Uh, none for me, thanks. I'm certainly not arguing for Anna Wintour -- I have only a vague notion of who she is.

A closed toe pump screams traditional and conservative, so yes, no hose with such a shoe looks tacky.

As for strappies, that Halston ad does seem to show that hosiery can be made without the unsightly details seams and toe reinforcement, so that's good. Regardless, a toned, tanned, well-maintained bare leg probably wouldn't usually jump out at me as inappropriate -- it's just not something that bothers me.

But shocka song goo.
smile.gif

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And now for some visual evidence for the other side:

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
And now for some visual evidence for the other side:

My oh my.

If I didn't already have an Aussie beaut...

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
untitled-6.jpg

Mmmmmmm . . . Anna's crony has great taste, too. The best!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anna Wintour looked hideous in her Dior Haute Couture by Galliano at the Costume Institute Ball:
annawintour.jpg
She looks like a collapsed tacky lamp-shade from some decrepit disco.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOVE, the bare feet!! A real inspiration, for VOGUE readers . . . this woman is the fashion disaster, of all time. Hilarious and pathetic.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
untitled-8.jpg

The last word in elegance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads