• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women without hosiery . . .

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
00202.jpg

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
00155.jpg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
00175.jpg

Anna Wintour and her crowd are about as lowbrow, as lowbrow, gets. Each to his own.

Once again, interestingly enough that those that you consider low brow are the same people who make or break the designers that you clamor for. It is also quite a stretch to equate not wearing stockings with being low brow. The women in these robes looks like Star Wars extras or high society Taliban. To each his own.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anna Wintour and her crowd are about as lowbrow, as lowbrow, gets. Each to his own.
Anna Wintour is not only low brow but has the distinction of being extremely middlebrow as well. Have you seen her daughter? She has the special circumstance of looking like a DAR reject. And I've never seen her wear hose either. She's even named Bee! The Vogue crowd has really insipid taste despite what they like to compare themselves to Diana Vreeland or Carmel Snow.
slide1_AnaWintour.jpg
What is very nice is the vein that used to run along the old silk hose, at the back of the leg.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I hold no brief for Wintour mere or fille, but I'm pretty sure does get a bit lower than that.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to love seamed stockings, as well. Anna Wintour is to my mind, the world's worst dressed woman. Her groupies, are in the same league. Not quite, but just about as bad. To compare Wintour to Diana Vreeland, is to compare a legless man, to Nureyev. No wonder Yves Saint Laurent, retired.
scan0003-2.jpg

Anna W. looks idiotic, NOW. Can you imagine what she'll look like, as one gazes on her images in the future?? Any trend promoted or started by her . . . is simply, to be avoided like the plague.

A woman I know, recently married off her daughter. It was a summer wedding. This woman is in her sixties. Very good looking, good figure, but she's old. At the wedding, J. did not wear hosiery. I told her she would regret that decision, for the rest of her life. She already has. When J. saw the photos from the wedding, she burst into tears.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You try wearing high heel sandals with thin straps in the summer with hosiery and tell me how far you were able to walk without twisting an ankle.

For the record, my mom is 58 years old and she does not wear hosiery in the summer. She looks great sans.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To take note of the bad diktats handed down by Wintour and her crew, just look at the Grunge trend she started during the '90s after Marc Jacobs's collection for Perry Ellis.

The only good part of her was her support of Helmut Newton.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabienne, I remember women walking in high heeled sandals very, very well. All of them, wore hosiery. Not saying it's easy . . . but they walked, and danced, and seemed not to twist their ankles in the process. A really well fitting sandal, is not that hard to walk in, from what women have told me.

As for your mother, I'm happy that she's in such great shape. Personally, I think legs over 25, need some coverage, for any dress up occasion. Summer, and all other seasons.

Labelking: Anna Wintour's own appearance, speaks for itself. She is a fashion moron.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabienne, I remember women walking in high heeled sandals very, very well. All of them, wore hosiery. Not saying it's easy . . . but they walked, and danced, and seemed not to twist their ankles in the process. A really well fitting sandal, is not that hard to walk in, from what women have told me.

As for your mother, I'm happy that she's in such great shape. Personally, I think legs over 25, need some coverage, for any dress up occasion. Summer, and all other seasons.

I wear high heels every single day, weekends included, I think I have some experience. For your information, women's shoes are generally built in a terrible way, even designer shoes. The day I wear hosiery with sandals or open toe shoes, shoot me.

So, if you're 22, you can go to an event without hosiery?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sister wore nothing but Charles Jourdan shoes; we own several hundred pairs. They were brilliantly engineered. Made and designed in Paris. K. had no trouble wearing hem, for sixteen hour days, WITH hosiery. She still can, at age 54. As a matter of fact, we don't buy shoes for her, these days. I think most of them, are hideous.

Sorry, I will not change my opinion. No stockings is an uncivilized look, to my eye.
1044re2.jpg

Sixteen hour days, Fabienne . . . without a single foot problem, to her history. An absolutely perfect, fit. I still have my Jourdans, too . . . the best shoes I've ever worn.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Once again, interestingly enough that those that you consider low brow are the same people who make or break the designers that you clamor for. It is also quite a stretch to equate not wearing stockings with being low brow. The women in these robes looks like Star Wars extras or high society Taliban. To each his own.
I don't know--Anna Wintour tends to support the mediocre deisgners like the awful copycat Zac Posen.

As for YSL, he was supported by the French long before the Americans were introduced to him. I.Magnin had the distinction of being one of the first stores to introduce the French to America.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a2b4re2.jpg

sixteen hour days, Fabienne . . .

Yves Saint Laurent's contributions to fashion, are legendary. Anna Wintour's contributions to fashon, aren't even worth discussion.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't know--Anna Wintour tends to support the mediocre deisgners like the awful copycat Zac Posen.

As for YSL, he was supported by the French long before the Americans were introduced to him. I.Magnin had the distinction of being one of the first stores to introduce the French to America.

Edmorel . . . I don't clamor for ANY designers, these days. NOT ONE. I wear Armani Black Label, mostly what I've bought during the past 20 years. After Saint Laurent retired, I said good bye, to women's fashion. Anna Wintour's photographs, are the perfect explanation, why.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads