• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women to Mens brand crossovers?

gateslion

Reaction score
Just curious about your opinions on this.

Do you have any issue or aversion to wearing a brand that was a women's brand, and then extended to mens later?

EX: Seven Jeans, Parasucos, etc.

Even though I used to wear Structure in my teens/early early twenties, but I balked a bit when they first changed to Express Men.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife likes her brands. She once bought me a Chanel belt and Chanel tie. Not a brand familiar with guys, but belt is ok, tie is ok. I wear them occasionally and nobody has said anything negative about them. Buy clothes because you like them, it is not important the branding. If the quality and style suit you, nobody will complain.

Now go and buy yourself a Donna Karan dress - just kidding!

max b

Reaction score
very difficult a Company can be able to do nice things for both mens and womens. I see a lot of brands trying to do both, but the DNA is just for one side.
I know only few brands able to do both : Hermes, Loro Piana and few others.

Matt S

Reaction score
Isn't the current trend of low-rise slim fit trousers a women's trend crossing over into men's clothing? They don't leave room for your nuts, and it makes me feel like I'm wearing women's pants.

None of the clothes I wear have a woman's name on them.

gateslion

Reaction score
This is just my personal opinion, but that whole slim fit hting needs to go, NOW. The whole guys in skinny jeans thing is the worst. Seriously, I know a few indie rockers and emo bands made it seem popular, but come on. Your literally dressing like a chick.

As for low rise? Meh. I am a fan, but thats because its fits for me. Like all things, the it should be picked because it flatters your shape, not because its the in thing. (Like every chick in the world wanting to wear tight ass low rise jeans, even though 10% of the population had the body for them.)

Like I said, low rise is the ****, for me, but thats because I have kind of a big ass for a guy, and small waist, so, low rise appears to fit me normally. Regular rise, I get that thing wear the waist hangs way out, and I would have to get it tailored for it to look normal.

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
Low rise came in primarily from Alexander McQueen, a man most famous for his womenswear. As for slim fit suits and whatnot, they came from a few designers, most notably Raf Simons' late 90s designs (his brand is menswear only) and Hedi Slimane (menswear designer for Dior.) When asked why they made such slim cuts, Hedi stated that nothing else would fit on his skinny-ass frame, and Raf said "because when we were young, we were so small."
teacha.gif
the_more_you_know.jpg
I like the slim fit, partially because it generally flatters me, and partially because of the uncertainty of what will replace it. As for wearing from brands notable for womenswear, you'd have to be pretty insecure to worry about the fact that you're wearing a shirt from Balenciaga or a belt from Chanel and such.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gateslion
Do you have any issue or aversion to wearing a brand that was a women's brand, and then extended to mens later?
If I like the item, it needn't have made the switch.

For example, in shoes I'm a woman's size 11 ... and when it comes to tennis shoes ... there ain't many who can tell the difference.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Isn't the current trend of low-rise slim fit trousers a women's trend crossing over into men's clothing? They don't leave room for your nuts, and it makes me feel like I'm wearing women's pants.

None of the clothes I wear have a woman's name on them.

well, the thing with low-rise, they are meant to be worn low on your hips. giving generally about the same room for your nuts. youre not supposed to hike up the pants to high rise , therefore making them no room for your nuts. i suppose MC fellers dont understand how to wear these.

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gateslion
This is just my personal opinion, but that whole slim fit hting needs to go, NOW. The whole guys in skinny jeans thing is the worst. Seriously, I know a few indie rockers and emo bands made it seem popular, but come on. Your literally dressing like a chick.
While i'm not a fan of the super-skinny jeans myself, I personally think jeans look much better when at least slim-fitting. This isn't because i follow every whim of fashion or because I have any desire to look like a woman. It's because of two main reasons; jeans cut closer to the leg create, IMO, a more elegant, long silhouette: Denim does not drape like wool or other suiting fabrics - it is thick and coarse. Super 150's look good when cut so they can drape and fold elegantly but denim doesn't, any excess fabric forms unsightly hanging crumples.

Also, I put work into keeping myself slim, and therefore i want clothes that emphasise that, rather than making me look boxy and wide.

Plus; chicks dig my tight jeans so they can all see my massive wang
nod[1].gif
nod[1].gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Last Year's Man
While i'm not a fan of the super-skinny jeans myself, I personally think jeans look much better when at least slim-fitting. This isn't because i follow every whim of fashion or because I have any desire to look like a woman. It's because of two main reasons; jeans cut closer to the leg create, IMO, a more elegant, long silhouette: Denim does not drape like wool or other suiting fabrics - it is thick and coarse. Super 150's look good when cut so they can drape and fold elegantly but denim doesn't, any excess fabric forms unsightly hanging crumples.

Also, I put work into keeping myself slim, and therefore i want clothes that emphasise that, rather than making me look boxy and wide.

Plus; chicks dig my tight jeans so they can all see my massive wang
nod[1].gif
nod[1].gif

right. no need to explain to hatin-fatties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads