Women in suits: a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Flartchy, Jun 21, 2011.

1. 604Coast

604Coast Senior member

Please post a photo of an average-sized, non-skinny woman, say size 10-12, looking good in a suit. (The average size for women in the US is actually 14.)

I rest my case.

Srsly? [​IMG]

2. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Found a big girl in a suit. That chick from Madmen. She's a little on the big side.
    [​IMG]

3. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Found a big girl in a suit. That chick from Madmen. She's a little on the big side.

She looks like a milfy wife, I would without fail.

But the cut of the suit looks old, it only highlights her boots but nothing else

4. linkinwayne

linkinwayne Senior member

Then you should have no problem finding a pic of an average-sized woman who you think looks good in a suit, one in which the suit doesn't drape oddly over her hips or breasts or other curves. Go for it.

Do you disagree that suits are meant to accentuate breadth of shoulders and narrowness of hips?

I think you guys are disagreeing just to disagree. My argument is unassailable. To reiterate, it goes like this:

1) Suits have historically been designed to accentuate male characteristics*
    2) Women, by and large, don't have these characteristics
    3) Therefore, suits that accentuate these characteristics won't look good on average-shaped women.

I don't see how that can be argued with. Please enlighten me, in a rational way.

* "For example, in men's dress, the male suit does not just accentuate male bodily features, but adds 'masculinity' to the body." From Joanne Entwistle's The fashioned body: fashion, dress, and modern social theory

I like how all this blabbering was stopped immediately by the subsequent pictures

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

She is doable..[​IMG]

6. Samovar McGee

Samovar McGee Senior member

I think women look great in suits. For me, there is no argument here. To add a point beyond the scope of the OP's point, I say that we don't live in 'the good olde days', and should not attempt to invoke them.

7. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

The "V" shape that suits give a person does not flatter a woman's natural curves.
    You're insane. A well-fitted women's suit jacket accentuates a large bust and small waist, this is exactly what flatters a woman's curves. Men's suits accentuate masculine characteristics, women's suits accentuate feminine characteristics, they're cut and styled completely differently.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My girlfriend was wearing a black one button peak lapel pinstripe suit when I first met her. I thought it was sexy as hell. My friends just tell me that the more a girl looks like myself the more I think they are attractive. [​IMG] I really think the key for girls is to not wear a suit like they are wearing jeans and tee shirt all tight and such. I think a more drapey suit is very alluring in that rumpled Coco Chanel sort of way.

Thanks Yves...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I tried so hard to find a decent picture of her suit. Alas, this is as good as it gets.

[​IMG]

Then again, Sienna Miller in a poncho? Yes, please.

10. OliverWarren

OliverWarren Member

I agree! The one thing is obvious but the latter is just ridiculous [​IMG]

Nevertheless I believe that there are more elegant ways to dress for a woman than wearing men suits.

11. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

I don't care for women in suits, but women in dress pants? Hot damn, yes plz. Something about wool office pants makes a woman's ass look off the heezy fo sheezy, dawg

12. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

[​IMG]

Jesus. I want to go to there.

Thing is, there are many great makers of women's suits. My wife wears Paul Stuart and Armani suits mostly, but has been known to slum it in Ann Taylor. The tailoring is really drapey and flattering.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

[​IMG]

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. Galix

Galix Senior member

[​IMG]
    Damn! I'm in love...