• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women advising men on how to dress?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed here before, but I can't find it in search. Maybe it disappeared during the crash.
I personally believe women shouldn't pick men's clothing unless very well trained by her mate.

Spilotro

Reaction score
Not on this forum!

I actually laid down the law early with a girl I'm somewhat dating, not to try to tell me what to wear...

Eccentric

Reaction score
It has been discussed before, but it's always fun to re-cap. I agree entirely. When women choose men's clothing, they like to play dressup. I have had to tell my girlfriend why I don't wear black suits on more than one occasion. That is not to say you can't get nice clothing as a gift from women or that all their advice is bad, however. The problem comes when people believe the myth that women know more about dressing men than men do. This is simply not true. The only incorrect myth more pervasive is that teh gheys are always the best dressed.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
The only incorrect myth more pervasive is that teh gheys are always the best dressed.

I know. I get the "Are you gay?" question from people, both men and women, quite often.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Women advising men on how to dress?

Not for me. Thanks.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
It has been discussed before, but it's always fun to re-cap. I agree entirely. When women choose men's clothing, they like to play dressup. I have had to tell my girlfriend why I don't wear black suits on more than one occasion. That is not to say you can't get nice clothing as a gift from women or that all their advice is bad, however. The problem comes when people believe the myth that women know more about dressing men than men do. This is simply not true. The only incorrect myth more pervasive is that teh gheys are always the best dressed.

Women like guys dressed up? I thought they liked guys dressing like little boys with logo tees, torn jeans, shirt untucked, hair undone, with Hollister and Ed Hardy stuff! What am I missing?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I treasure their opinion but they don't get to pick my clothes.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally this is a "no" for me as well. But if I'm allowed to, say, pick out the undergarments she wears (or doesn't wear, as it were), there's something to be said about submitting to her wishes once in a very long while.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A girl I dated recently was a fan of the way I dressed. I used her to bounce ideas off of, but she never picked my clothes.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Give her veto power over anything she really doesn't like but other than that...pick it yourself

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally agree.. Hell, I even give my girlfriend styling advice
smile.gif

phillyesq

Reaction score
I believe Molloy said that you should never trust women to pick out your professional attire unless you would also trust them with a business decision. I certainly agree with that, and I'm even dubious of clothing advice from the many women whose professional judgment I do trust.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads