• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Woman Killed by Pet Python

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw a news item (perhaps somebody can post a link) that a 25-year-old woman was evidently killed by her (and her husband's) pet reticulated python as she was attempting to give it some sort of medication. It was only a 10-footer, which is rather small to be killing an adult human. The reticulated python is the longest of all snakes with a record length of 33 feet!

I don't like snakes in general, and I have never understood the appeal of keeping giant constricting snakes a pets. The reticulated python in particular has a reputation for having about the nastiest disposition of any of the giant snakes. A friend of a friend of mine had a 15-foot reticulated python. One day the snake grabbed him by the face (with his myriad needle sharp teeth) and tried to drag him into his cage. He was able to break free and escape, but I hear of people being attacked and killed by their pet snakes with some frequency. I really don't have any sympathy for the victims.

I have always felt there is a considerable element of sadism in anyone who keeps a pet that requires live prey of a higher order than, say, a brine shrimp or a mealworm.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Just saw a news item (perhaps somebody can post a link) that a 25-year-old woman was evidently killed by her (and her husband's) pet reticulated python as she was attempting to give it some sort of medication. It was only a 10-footer, which is rather small to be killing an adult human. The reticulated python is the longest of all snakes with a record length of 33 feet!

I don't like snakes in general, and I have never understood the appeal of keeping giant constricting snakes a pets. The reticulated python in particular has a reputation for having about the nastiest disposition of any of the giant snakes. A friend of a friend of mine had a 15-foot reticulated python. One day the snake grabbed him by the face (with his myriad needle sharp teeth) and tried to drag him into his cage. He was able to break free and escape, but I hear of people being attacked and killed by their pet snakes with some frequency. I really don't have any sympathy for the victims.

I have always felt there is a considerable element of sadism in anyone who keeps a pet that requires live prey of a higher order than, say, a brine shrimp or a mealworm.

I agree with most of your post (except the sentence I have highlighted).
A woman just died unnecessarily.
I have an enormous amount of sympathy for her (and her family).

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I knew of someone who used to adopt small animals off of craigslist to feed to his large snake.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a friend of my knew a guy, a fire captain no less, who would adopt animals from the pound and feed them to his snakes. For example, he fed a cocker spaniel to his anaconda! Had it been another breed I would have felt worse. A lot of cockers are nasty customers.

Snake people!

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's never a leopard around when you need one.

GoSurface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig

That's because Rachel Zoe is wearing it. Did you see when she bought 4 leopard coats in one day? That bitch.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Were they real leopard skins? I thought it is illegal.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol @ this thread. I thought I'd heard everything. People adopting animals to feed to their snake? That's kinda fucked.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig

Get some National Geographic photographers around and watch them miraculously appear. Leopards are the attention whores of the animal kingdom.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
lol @ this thread. I thought I'd heard everything. People adopting animals to feed to their snake? That's kinda fucked.
Have you heard a rabbit scream before?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, actually.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

That includes keeping animals that will kill you as pets.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Have you heard a rabbit scream before?
No, but I'd say if you put one near a gigantic snake, you'll hear it yell, "Hey! Get me the fuck away from this gigantic snake!" I've never tried it myself, but I'd not be surprised...

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Yeah, a friend of my knew a guy, a fire captain no less, who would adopt animals from the pound and feed them to his snakes. For example, he fed a cocker spaniel to his anaconda! Had it been another breed I would have felt worse. A lot of cockers are nasty customers.

Snake people!

That's f'ed up. I hope he rots in hell.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 67 17.6%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 126 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 64 16.8%