• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine's Heritage Line...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Thanks a lot for the DIY, Crane's! I'm going to do that to my RW GTs now that the snow has officially started falling here.

Hey no problem. It'll keep them GTs looking good in the slop. Hammer the welt area and seams and you should have dry feet as well.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
If only!

Also, you use sno-seal but don't stock it? For shame. Any idea where I can pick some up on the 'net in a more substancial quantity then a tiny tube (someone mentioned a Canadian stockist above but I'm not paying $12 to have a 3.5 ounce tube shipped to me one province over)?

LOL! I can't stock everything! My local leather guy has tons of it on the shelf so I'm good. Look around on the net. the stuff is common enough and with a little luck you'll find someone close to home so shipping won't kill you.

Originally Posted by NorCal_1
the Montague chelsea boot in cigar shell cordovan or distressed tan suede would be the ultimate jeans boot

too bad you and Leather Soul can't convince Wolverine to make 'Ltd edition boots' like LeatherSoul has done with Alden

or....maybe you can if you work together and ask them?

Actually I'm contemplating calling up Nick Horween and having a talk with him about leather, in particular Shell Cordovan. I'm also going to call up Wolverine and with a little luck I'll be able to talk with Blake Krueger the CEO of the company. Given this is a premium boot line it would make sense for them to offer a factory refurbish program similar to Alden's. Not to mention I need some replacement boot laces! LOL!

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
LOL! I can't stock everything! My local leather guy has tons of it on the shelf so I'm good. Look around on the net. the stuff is common enough and with a little luck you'll find someone close to home so shipping won't kill you.

Actually I'm contemplating calling up Nick Horween and having a talk with him about leather, in particular Shell Cordovan. I'm also going to call up Wolverine and with a little luck I'll be able to talk with Blake Krueger the CEO of the company. Given this is a premium boot line it would make sense for them to offer a factory refurbish program similar to Alden's. Not to mention I need some replacement boot laces! LOL!

ask them if they would consider a make-to-order program using Horween leathers that they don't presently offer

$50 on top of the price of the boots for special orders

win/win for them and their customers

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ask them if they would consider a make-to-order program using Horween leathers that they don't presently offer

That'd be awesome. I'd get the 1000 miles in the shell cordovan, I prefer the plain toe for a workboot over the wingtip-esque detailing on the current shell boots.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's

I've looked, but the only stockists I can find that ship here only have those small tubes, not a larger tub. Unless I'm just bad at google searching.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That'd be awesome. I'd get the 1000 miles in the shell cordovan, I prefer the plain toe for a workboot over the wingtip-esque detailing on the current shell boots.

Obviously they have the resources to do this. If I'm lucky enough to get through to the top guy I'll bring it up. This is a new market segment for Wolverine and apparently one that has gone well for them so who knows what they'll be game for.

I've looked, but the only stockists I can find that ship here only have those small tubes, not a larger tub. Unless I'm just bad at google searching.

Walmart has it occasionally, anyone who sells hunting gear should have it and more than likely any local cobbler as well. Start calling on the phone and see what you come up with. My local leather guy is not on the web so you would never know what he would have on the shelf.

alexspecs

Reaction score
Bought some Wolverine Ascot's. Arrived in the mail today. Pictures for all!
5122833656_1ba11738bf_o.jpg
The leather was so dry when I first touched them.
5122231287_bc64cda8a5_b.jpg
5122231907_14160f0cc8_b.jpg
This was taken a few minutes after whole lot of lexol conditioner was applied
5122232239_49202db33b_b.jpg
Nice and dry

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice boots, but I just don't get why there's a patch of leather under the vamp. Looks almost like a flaw.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crane's, do you have an opinion on the relative merits of Sno Seal and Obenauf's LP? From your pictures they appear to be about the same thing.

I like the asymmetry of the patch. It is different without being pure stupid or gaudy.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with Obenauf's LP however it appears to be very similar to Sno Seal. Both are an oil beeswax compound. I have used Sno Seal for eons. Merits would include keeping your feet dry along with preserving and protecting the leather from the effects of harsh environmental exposure. Basically if Sno Seal disappeared I would switch to the Obenauf product and just keep on going. It's kind of funny, on Obenauf's website they say to use my hairdryer trick and a double treatment for maximum protection. LOL, I wonder who done it first me or them?

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexspecs
Bought some Wolverine Ascot's. Arrived in the mail today. Pictures for all!

5122833656_1ba11738bf_o.jpg

The leather was so dry when I first touched them.

5122231287_bc64cda8a5_b.jpg

5122231907_14160f0cc8_b.jpg

This was taken a few minutes after whole lot of lexol conditioner was applied

5122232239_49202db33b_b.jpg

Nice and dry

Wow, those Ascots are nice! I think that I like them better than the 1000 miles boots that I bought a couple of months back. With the rubber soles, these look to be more comfortable and better on light hikes, etc.. The gent from Crane's, any thoughts on that?
The first thing that I noticed first when I opened my box with the boots, (after that black flannel cloth) was the stong leather smell and the beautiful, deep rich, smooth feel of the leather. Can't imagine why yours would have felt dry.

Bob

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, those look nice. How much did you get them for? I bought some 1000 miles a while back and dont like them much. PM me if interested. How do the Ascots fit? TTS?

niix

Reaction score
Ascots look great! I'm going to have to pick up some of that stuff you put on yours and apply some on mine. I've been searching for a good conditioner and that seems to work well.

Did you use the spray, the wipes or apply it with a pad?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobm
Wow, those Ascots are nice! I think that I like them better than the 1000 miles boots that I bought a couple of months back. With the rubber soles, these look to be more comfortable and better on light hikes, etc.. The gent from Crane's, any thoughts on that?
The first thing that I noticed first when I opened my box with the boots, (after that black flannel cloth) was the stong leather smell and the beautiful, deep rich, smooth feel of the leather. Can't imagine why yours would have felt dry.

Bob

Depends on the sole. If it's some type of lug then yeah it would be a better choice. If it's smooth then I would say doesn't matter either way. I have a pair of Montgomerys for the simple reason that it does have a commando sole and a scree collar. Definitely a true light hiker.

alexspecs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobm

Bob

Perhaps mine were been sitting in the box alot longer than yours. The rubber soles are pretty nice. They provide MUCH more traction than leather soles do but not as much as a lug sole. Feels a bit more grippy than a topy sole I s'pose.

Originally Posted by NAMOR
Wow, those look nice. How much did you get them for? I bought some 1000 miles a while back and dont like them much. PM me if interested. How do the Ascots fit? TTS?

I got them from revolve.com $235usd including shipping. They didn't have them in my size so they very nicely ordered them in for me
smile.gif
They fit pretty well. True to size. They give alot of support but are slim enough to wear with pants and look about as inconspicous as a desert boot. They're very light too.

Originally Posted by niix
Ascots look great! I'm going to have to pick up some of that stuff you put on yours and apply some on mine. I've been searching for a good conditioner and that seems to work well.

Did you use the spray, the wipes or apply it with a pad?

I applied it with a sponge pad. You don't have to use much and it spreads pretty easy. I generally apply it two or three times between soaks to brand new shoes and it really loosens leather up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads