• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine's Heritage Line...

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By 'multi-day hiking boots' do you mean for multi-day hikes (i.e., backpacking)?? If so, I'd strongly suggest technical boots.

Seeaann

Reaction score
Yeah, Ive got some Keen hiking boots, but they're just ugly and big.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you are looking for something that will actually hold up and be comfortable on long hikes and is semi-stylish, I'd recommend something like Vasque Sundowners- Single-piece treatable leather, Gore tex lining, substantial but discrete sole, can be ordered in wide sizes. Honestly, though, on multi-day hikes, I think that's one of the few instances in which function should win out over form all day long.

The tread on the sole of the Gentry's doesn't look very deep at all.

Nicesuit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
asolo

beat me to it. I've got a pair and I love them. They're quite comfortable and I broke them in on a two day 18 mile, ROCKY AS HELL, trail without so much as a hot spot.

JOA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Well, if you are looking for something that will actually hold up and be comfortable on long hikes and is semi-stylish, I'd recommend something like Vasque Sundowners- Single-piece treatable leather, Gore tex lining, substantial but discrete sole, can be ordered in wide sizes. Honestly, though, on multi-day hikes, I think that's one of the few instances in which function should win out over form all day long.

The tread on the sole of the Gentry's doesn't look very deep at all.

Do yourself a favor and don't even consider hiking in those. As an experienced hiker, the best thing you can do is go to a quality outdoor retailer (and I don't mean REI or Gander Mtn.) and have them help you with a boot. Zissou is right. Style has almost no place in reference to hiking boots.

Oh, and I'd agree w/ you about the Sundowners if they were still Italian made. However, since Nike has bought Vasque, quality has gone to ****.

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
Any questions hit me up...
Those are actually close to, in color and shape, what i was looking for. That sucks the leather isn't the best. On a 1-10 scale how would you rate the leather quality? My question is: If you haven't shipped them back is it possible to get a fit pic of them with jeans (one from the front and one from the side)?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what's funny is you guys are rating and comparing boots like they are the same thing.
Amazing.

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol. i'm just trying to get a full idea of whats up with the gentry model before i start asking you about ordering me a pair.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ this isn't pointed just at you..lol
This forum is notorious for doing just this very thing and in the meantime feeds bad energy and unrealistic expectations into the forum.

This is typical-

Sf'er A : Hi guys I am looking for a boot that's great yet still afforadable I am on a budget. any thoughts.

Sf'er B : **** off noob use the search key

Sf'er C : give him a break. What I would suggest is the bowery boot from RRL it's really expensive and the quality is amazing. check out some pics on ACL.

Sf'er A: OH THANKS that's great . I will check right now.

Sf'er D: Yah the W+H 's service boots are great to but I have to agree the RRL boot is pretty sweet.

SF'er A: I checked out ACL those boots where "SICK" but I only can spend 275.00
frown.gif

what is this W+H's let me check that out too! thanks guys you have been great.

SF'er E: wolverine has a boot that's good ,not top of the line but a solid boot , just my thought I own a pair and enjoy them.

SF'er A: OMG! I am so confused I really like the W+H service boot and The Bowery boot. God, I might have to sell my liver and get one. No wait then I can't drink as much...lol
Ok what's up with this Wolverine boot???

SF'er F: wolverine sucks I mean it's 250.00 and made in CHINA!!! in ******* CHINA!!! I saw a pair and it had a flaw! I was going to get them but **** that .

SF'er A: I really liked to the wolverine boot and it was in my budget but it just doesn' compare to the Bowery and service boot. Oh God, What can I do.
Do you guys think there is a boot with the quality and stlye of the Bowery boot or service boot but cheaper than the wolverine boot.

SF'er B: I love my RRL boots and I am so glad I got them the leather is breaking in so well. I checked out the wolverine boot and I couldn't beleive they were made in CHINA charging 250.00
**** that!

SF'er A: jeeze guys I want those serivce boots so bad I like the look of the wolverine boots but It's not the same . Thanks for all your time guys. I'll just keep looking.
OH and what does W+H's mean???

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^lol thats pretty accurate as i have been prone to such actions.

the funny thing is everything that V-D didn't like about the boot are the things that make me like it more than the 1000 mile (the color and "less ruggedness" of it, for lack of a better term)

Seeaann

Reaction score
Can any of these heritage line boots be bought anywhere in los Angeles?
Sorry if it's been mentioned already.

splattered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
^^ this isn't pointed just at you..lol
This forum is notorious for doing just this very thing and in the meantime feeds bad energy and unrealistic expectations into the forum.

This is typical-

Sf'er A : Hi guys I am looking for a boot that's great yet still afforadable I am on a budget. any thoughts.

Sf'er B : **** off noob use the search key

Sf'er C : give him a break. What I would suggest is the bowery boot from RRL it's really expensive and the quality is amazing. check out some pics on ACL.

Sf'er A: OH THANKS that's great . I will check right now.

Sf'er D: Yah the W+H 's service boots are great to but I have to agree the RRL boot is pretty sweet.

SF'er A: I checked out ACL those boots where "SICK" but I only can spend 275.00
frown.gif

what is this W+H's let me check that out too! thanks guys you have been great.

SF'er E: wolverine has a boot that's good ,not top of the line but a solid boot , just my thought I own a pair and enjoy them.

SF'er A: OMG! I am so confused I really like the W+H service boot and The Bowery boot. God, I might have to sell my liver and get one. No wait then I can't drink as much...lol
Ok what's up with this Wolverine boot???

SF'er F: wolverine sucks I mean it's 250.00 and made in CHINA!!! in ******* CHINA!!! I saw a pair and it had a flaw! I was going to get them but **** that .

SF'er A: I really liked to the wolverine boot and it was in my budget but it just doesn' compare to the Bowery and service boot. Oh God, What can I do.
Do you guys think there is a boot with the quality and stlye of the Bowery boot or service boot but cheaper than the wolverine boot.

SF'er B: I love my RRL boots and I am so glad I got them the leather is breaking in so well. I checked out the wolverine boot and I couldn't beleive they were made in CHINA charging 250.00
**** that!

SF'er A: jeeze guys I want those serivce boots so bad I like the look of the wolverine boots but It's not the same . Thanks for all your time guys. I'll just keep looking.
OH and what does W+H's mean???

I wouldn't venture onto the internet if it wasn't this crazy/lame/entertaining
smile.gif

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justtemple
^lol thats pretty accurate

Really? The only direct comparisons I've seen on this thread are to Alden Indys (non shell cordovan), Red Wing GTs, and Katahdins, all of which are in a similar price range. The only person mentioning the service or bowery boots in this thread is..... Mauro.

We all know he's trying to sell them, but come on, that's pretty sad. Now, providing detailed reviews like splattered and V-D did, that's actually useful.

Originally Posted by JOA
Oh, and I'd agree w/ you about the Sundowners if they were still Italian made. However, since Nike has bought Vasque, quality has gone to ****.
In full honesty, I haven't owned them since they were Italian made. It was the only boot I could think of at the time that was semi-stylish but very functional, based on my experiences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads