• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine's Heritage Line...

UserName84

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
If you can take 5 or 6 photos from various angles, that would be great. What are your impressions of the boot?

Here are some pictures. Not the best, sorry i'm not a great photographer haha.

10002.jpg

10005.jpg

10004.jpg

100011.jpg

1000.jpg

10003.jpg

10007.jpg

10008.jpg

10009.jpg

100010.jpg

10006.jpg

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos! The details on those look muuuuch nicer than the Montgomerys. Great purchase.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a little bit of the top layer that wasn't 'routed' off. A little knife work and brown polish can fix that.

splattered

Reaction score
A little bulbous in the toebox and the ankle seems kind of large but my GOD that is 10x the boot the montgomery is!

Not quite my style but if the others were made of that quality i would honestly pay $100 more for them easy.

Too bad.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Thanks for that. Looks like the 'bulbous thumb-shaped toebox' is a complaint there, too.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bulbous- thumb shaped toe box? I dont think it looks like that at all.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just quoting what was in that review and comparing it to what people said here.

UserName84

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Just quoting what was in that review and comparing it to what people said here.

I'll take some comparison pics later of the toebox next to some purcells and clarks so people can judge them better

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Got the Montgomery's in today (I ordered both 10 & 10.5 since I didn't know my size.) The outer shipping box was super cheap and the top was busted open with half of the wimpy tape falling apart. It was the original manufacturers box from China. Inside the box half of the space was empty so I imagine the shoe boxes got thrown around quite a bit. Fortunately, like others have said the Wolverine box is solid and the boots were wrapped in cloth so I didn't see any major damage, some minor scuffing on the sides is all. There was no receipt or return instructions, guess I have to get that from Neiman Marcus online.

Good thing I had a heads up from the previous poster who was disappointed. Thanks to his report I was not expecting to be wowed and I wasn't. The color didn't look anything like the Wolverine1000.com website. Instead, I'd say in normal lighting they look like a chocolate burgundy color. Here is the best shot I could get of the natural color straight out of the box in normal indoor lighting:

3951988778_eff4a14a7a_o.jpg

And a shot without flash:

3951988854_592d62d59c_o.jpg

The leather does lighten and change colors somewhat in sunlight or under flash:

3951210569_775398e4b8_o.jpg

This pic (under close range flash) looks more like the Wolverine site color:

3951210625_a11774d1ff_o.jpg

Toe box aint bad:

3951989024_2e1cca7f02_o.jpg

One more for the hell of it, I think it's under flash...

3951210723_097e958989_o.jpg

The leather color, sheen and quality just didn't - well I'm just not feeling it. However, the comfort was top notch. I like to start by putting my feet in without socks to see how much they move around. It was so comfy in there I didn't even want to put on socks! Out of the two the 10.5 was best so this is my dress shoe size (also Clarks DB size.) Nice snug fit, no heel slippage etc.

The construction had some minor issues. I tried to take close-ups but am not skilled at macro photography. I'm not going to be a tire kicker, but I'll just say it wasn't bad or sloppy but each boot did have a minor issue such as a small gouge in the leather around the seams, or a loose thread. If I were going to keep them I don't think I'd bother returning them, but imperfect is always a bummer.

Bottom line is that Wolverine did a great photography job on these boots. They do change color depending on the lighting but under normal conditions I just don't like the color. I wanted something more rugged and was attracted by the brownish/amber color on their site. If you like the color and looking for a dressy combat boot you can't go wrong with these. I do like the style and comfort (although the heel is bigger than I'd prefer.) Unfortunately these both are going back, I'll stick with the LL Bean Katahdins which have a more rugged appearance.

Any questions hit me up...

splattered

Reaction score
Yep, pretty much my thoughts exactly... as i said they were comfy and that's prob what i liked best about them haha

I am sending mine back as well, i didnt get a return shipping label just a photocopy of the invoice
eh.gif
so i had to call customer support on the phone to arrange the return.

Too bad they aren't of the actual 1000 mile boot quality, and the color didnt more closely mirror what was shown on their site, they would have been keepers for me.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by splattered
Yep, pretty much my thoughts exactly... as i said they were comfy and that's prob what i liked best about them haha.

Yea, in my opinion Wolverine kinda took the low road here. I did some time as a product photographer several years back, and the first thing I always asked myself was "Is this an accurate representation of the product being sold?" Some products and colors were a ***** to work with and you really had to fiddle around sometimes with lighting and camera settings to get it just right.

In this case the color is way off, and everyone who opens their box will think they got sent the wrong color. It's really sad they used the "Hey this looks great - use it" approach.

Seeaann

Reaction score
Has anybody purchased the Gentry hiking boots? Im wondering if these might make comfortably reliable multi-day hiking boots? Might be willing to sacrifice a little bit of discomfort for style, but not a whole lot, especially with the price tag ($250 right?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads