• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 721LTD Shell Cordovan 1000 Mile Boot Review

Dayman

Reaction score
Very nice boots. Keep us updated on the aging i haven't see one yet.
fing02[1].gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been up to my eyeballs in Alligators for a while but things are finally beginning to settle down so with a little luck I'll be updating this thread and the other 1K threads as well. Looks like my 721s have some dried mud on them but other than that all is well with them. Perhaps I'll post pics of all 3 pairs of mine next to each other and then clean them up. A before and after kind of thing. All of them are beat up, scuffed up, mud and muck babtized but still going strong. The Addisons are by far the most abused pair of 1Ks this Winter season and are ready for a half sole treatment.

Dayman

Reaction score
Been up to my eyeballs in Alligators for a while but things are finally beginning to settle down so with a little luck I'll be updating this thread and the other 1K threads as well. Looks like my 721s have some dried mud on them but other than that all is well with them. Perhaps I'll post pics of all 3 pairs of mine next to each other and then clean them up. A before and after kind of thing. All of them are beat up, scuffed up, mud and muck babtized but still going strong. The Addisons are by far the most abused pair of 1Ks this Winter season and are ready for a half sole treatment.

Please do im very interested in pics of these.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please do im very interested in pics of these.

No problem. I just posted some pics of my Addisons in the review thread of mine. I didn't thrash my 721s as bad as I did the Addisons but I wasn't nice to them either. LOL.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not one single photo of the boots in the year and a half of this review/challenge? Or did I miss something? I think people would have liked to have seen how they aged along the way.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not one single photo of the boots in the year and a half of this review/challenge? Or did I miss something? I think people would have liked to have seen how they aged along the way.

You haven't missed a thing. As far as the boots go about the only noticeable change is the edge of the soles are scuffed just like my other pairs of 1Ks. Other than being a bit muddy there is literally no difference in how the uppers look which is about what I expected. Chromexcel is good stuff but requires a fair amount of work to keep them properly maintained and looking good. Shell on the other hand is much less of a maintenance hog and keeps on looking good far longer than Chromexcel.

In any case plenty of people on this forum own these boots and the lack of wear pics tends to make me think they are experiencing the same thing as I am. They get a scuff here or there but all in all they just keep looking like they are new without doing much.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought shell cordovan was renowned for the way it ages. You've beat these boots up hunting and working for 16 months and they still look the same? No patina developing at all?

muso

Reaction score
Great review, thanks!

I just got a pair (I think it's the last pair of size 12s anywhere), and I was wondering... did I just luck out to get the tanner's stamp so nicely situated inside my right boot, or are all of the 721s like this? I also got a nice even number: 500/1000.

This is my first pair of cordovans - I've always wanted a pair, but most cordovans are dress shoes or dress boots, and I don't wear suits often. These are casuals I can wear all the time, so I'm very pleased.

They are a dream - fit perfectly, extremely comfortable, and the leather is just gorgeous.

Anyway, here's a flickr link to a pic of that Horween stamp in mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lonotes/6797076414/in/photostream/lightbox/

Anybody else's show up there?

-muso

Dayman

Reaction score
Great review, thanks!

I just got a pair (I think it's the last pair of size 12s anywhere), and I was wondering... did I just luck out to get the tanner's stamp so nicely situated inside my right boot, or are all of the 721s like this? I also got a nice even number: 500/1000.

This is my first pair of cordovans - I've always wanted a pair, but most cordovans are dress shoes or dress boots, and I don't wear suits often. These are casuals I can wear all the time, so I'm very pleased.

They are a dream - fit perfectly, extremely comfortable, and the leather is just gorgeous.

Anyway, here's a flickr link to a pic of that Horween stamp in mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lonotes/6797076414/in/photostream/lightbox/

Anybody else's show up there?

-muso

From watching the video of building the boot they shoe they put a small stamp on the inside but nowhere near as big as that. If there is not a smaller stamp on the other side or boot then they might have just got lucky with the original.

Cayman09

Reaction score
My pair are not like that. I kinda wish they were though, that is pretty sweet looking.

muso

Reaction score
From watching the video of building the boot they shoe they put a small stamp on the inside but nowhere near as big as that. If there is not a smaller stamp on the other side or boot then they might have just got lucky with the original.

The stamp that Wolverine applies while making the boot in the video is on the back of the tongue, and you're right it's fairly small. They also write in the edition number (500/1000, etc.) on that stamp.

This one is the larger stamp that the Horween tannery applies to the back of the hide when they've finished making it - their brand, so to speak. I figured it's kind of random where it'll turn up - it's stamped by hand, and whoever cuts the leather is looking at the finished side.

muso

Reaction score
My pair are not like that. I kinda wish they were though, that is pretty sweet looking.

Yeah, I looked at it and thought that if I intended to have the Horween stamp visible in the shoe, that I couldn't have lined it up better. That's why I thought maybe it was intentional and that every pair might be like that. I guess I lucked out!

FENWAY

Reaction score
Oh man, thats great. I bought a wallet with the Horween stamp...love it.

Reaction score
I read part of this post today and then thought about it.
These are $800 boots this guy hunts, crawls in some sort of muck sewage or something, and coats them with snoseal, I feel like this is not real and is some viral marketing campaign for the boots.
I like the boots so if you work for wolverine good job they look great.
The problem with this post is its not 1904 other shoes were invented because they worked better in certain conditions. Steel workers dont wear alligator shoes and wielders dont wear shell cordovan not because they dont think they look nice it because other shoes work better for protecting your feet. People in 1904 were lucky to have one pair of shoes so those shoes doubled as work boots and Sunday dress shoes. I'm not going to take a pair of alden shells' out in the field and shovel manure.
Once again like the boots.
Not going to shoe a horse in them.
Or go work on the Sears tower and drink paint thinner through a loaf of bread because of prohibition.
Not going to see my dame she's the bee's knees.
I get it they are throw backs I watched the video you can do a lot of stuff in these boots if you are so inclined but I am not going too these shoes cost $729 plus tax.

I am a working man and spending that much on shoes is a luxury that I would not take for granted by destroying them doing crap you shouldn't be doing in expensive shoes.
If I made a lot more money then sure these shoes would be throw aways like the shoes I do the yard work in but if I made a lot more money would I be doing these things or would somebody else being doing them for me.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I read part of this post today and then thought about it.
These are $800 boots this guy hunts, crawls in some sort of muck sewage or something, and coats them with snoseal, I feel like this is not real and is some viral marketing campaign for the boots.
I like the boots so if you work for wolverine good job they look great.
The problem with this post is its not 1904 other shoes were invented because they worked better in certain conditions. Steel workers dont wear alligator shoes and wielders dont wear shell cordovan not because they dont think they look nice it because other shoes work better for protecting your feet. People in 1904 were lucky to have one pair of shoes so those shoes doubled as work boots and Sunday dress shoes. I'm not going to take a pair of alden shells' out in the field and shovel manure.
Once again like the boots.
Not going to shoe a horse in them.
Or go work on the Sears tower and drink paint thinner through a loaf of bread because of prohibition.
Not going to see my dame she's the bee's knees.
I get it they are throw backs I watched the video you can do a lot of stuff in these boots if you are so inclined but I am not going too these shoes cost $729 plus tax.
I am a working man and spending that much on shoes is a luxury that I would not take for granted by destroying them doing crap you shouldn't be doing in expensive shoes.
If I made a lot more money then sure these shoes would be throw aways like the shoes I do the yard work in but if I made a lot more money would I be doing these things or would somebody else being doing them for me.

I hope I'm not overstepping here, because I'm sure Mr. Crane can defend himself, but I think you are way off in the motivation of the posts here. Your comment of a "viral marketing campaign" as some sort of conspiracy is really overboard.

If you'd really read this thread, you would see that Crane and/or his family owns a store that sells outdoor goods, Wolverine 1000 mile boots among them. He also likes to hike. He makes no pretenses, nor does he try to hide these facts. Yes, he gets his boots at wholesale, so he's probably out of pocket a lot less than any of us who would purchase these boots. But he does not attempt to hide any of this information.

I fail to see what is so wrong about a person who openly runs a store selling these boots, loves to hike and beat up the boots, and shares photos of what he does in them - especially since everyone else reading this thread loves getting the information.

If you don't want to spend $700 on boots and/or beat up boots you've spent a lot money on, then that's your business. But to attack this thread and the OP is just out of line.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads