Wolverine 721LTD Shell Cordovan 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Crane's, Oct 21, 2010.

1. seer

seer Senior member

May I suggest Venetian Shoe Cream for a great shell cordovan shine?

2. thams

thams Senior member

After a beer and some brushing, I took some pictures. I took some up close photos in the hopes of capturing what little grain structure exists and awesome depth of color that's beginning to develop. I've not used any polish or wax -- just a damp cloth and brush. These boots have been worn probably 15 times or so from the office to tromping around Mt. Vernon in dirt, gravel, and dust. They've seen rain as well and did welt and spot for half a day. The spots disappeared quickly though and didn't require the extensive brushing that others experienced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Looks good! Just so you know I've worn mine about 10 times as much as you've worn yours. It'll be interesting to see what yours look like when they get around the same amount of use.

4. seer

seer Senior member

sweet!

5. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

The boot oil is starting to settle down and the oxblood color is starting to show again. It looks like I'll end up with a deep oxblood black cherry color when it's all said and done.

6. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

The oil is still a bit tacky but it looks like once it's dry they'll buff up nice. I brushed them and all those scuffs in the toe boxes are all but gone. In the pic they look black but in reality they are a deep black cherry color. I'm going to wear them for a week or so to let the oil really settle down and then I'll brush them up again. [​IMG]

7. Dayman

Dayman Senior member

Very nice! keep update pics coming and thanks for sharing.

8. Dayman

Dayman Senior member

I am interested in your using boot oil on the cordovan and how they will look after some time and brushing. It should add some interesting depth to the cordovan color after some wear.

9. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

That's exactly what I'm thinking will happen.

Now I'm going touch on the subject of why I do what I do. I've been asked repeatedly on why I just don't use something like VSC on these boots. The simple answer is I don't believe any do all product can match the performance of products specifically designed for a particular task. Venetian Shoe Cream is a cleaner conditioner and wax/waterproofer. I'm sure it's a great product, easy to use and works for 99.99 percent of the people out there. Then there's people like me who do things to their boots/shoes that most people avoid at all costs. After years of ooopsies I settled on a handful of specific cleaners, conditioners and waterproofers. Since then no problems at all with any leather product I own. It's fairly common knowledge that I ride horses and motorcycles. Do either and you'll learn how to take care of leather or go broke replacing it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  10. Dayman

Dayman Senior member

Hey, I stopped questioning any of your reasons a long time ago. [​IMG] I just like to see what different products you use and they all make sense since, it's more function than fashion for your purposes.

11. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

LOL. I know but every now and again I have to repeat what's been said since my posts are buried, especially in the monster thread.

12. seer

seer Senior member

I now have the brown Addison CXL and the Orvis cap toe shoe CXL. So far I have use the Obenauf's LP, and Neatsfoot oil - which Horween recommends - after a few treatments the leather looks amazing. I have also used a little neutral Kiwi shoe wax - I got a decent shine.

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Another day, more brushing and this is what they look like. They are beginning to shine a bit and the rich red tones are beginning to show. Hard to believe that these boots have been to Hell and back.... [​IMG]

14. seer

seer Senior member

very nice...

15. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

did you oil the tongue?