Wolverine 721LTD Shell Cordovan 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Crane's, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Know what you mean. I'm the same way when I catch wind of a product that really interests me. Perhaps I'll get a pair along with some black harness boots in the Fall.

I didn't go hunting for rocks or Toms today so no MO muck on the 721s. About all they saw today was a few puddles wet grass and carpet. No big deal, muck season is just starting. LOL.

2. Dayman

Dayman Senior member

I know what you mean. It was raining all day today, but i was wearing my Vass cordovan chukkas.

3. thams

thams Senior member

Somewhat unrelated -- does anyone know where to get some Venetian Shoe Cream? I'm having problems finding it online...

4. jpc9

jpc9 Senior member

5. jpc9

jpc9 Senior member

6. Dayman

Dayman Senior member

http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/accessories/venetian-shoe-cream
    They are also sponsor the forum. There are other places I can't think of right now, but those are usually in a huge 32oz jug.

7. thams

thams Senior member

Thanks! I'm not sure how I missed that in a simple Google search. Small bottle is fine for now -- especially since I mostly use elbow grease only on shells.

8. seer

seer Senior member

I have one and a half 32 oz tins that I will never use. PM me if you want.

9. mike134

mike134 Well-Known Member

I'm sure they will have a sneak preview for some of the higher end shops and allow a photo to be leaked soon enough. They want to make you wait for it.

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

The 721s went for a stroll today in a creek bed, several ravines and some exposed hillsides. So let's see, they got covered in muck and sand, withstood standing in water and a gravel bar or three. The creek is up a bit and I really contemplated knee deep wading but decided against it. The water's a bit to cold for that. No wet feet, scraped the crap off them with a trowel and tomorrow I'll wipe them off with a wet rag and they're good to go.

11. Cayman09

Cayman09 Member

I think your 721s look wicked good. Mine are wearing like iron. Twelve hour days, standing for hours, tons of walking, bars, etc. and they actually look better than when I took them out of the box. I don't want to abuse them but I would like to see some wear develop. Good pics and thanks for letting me see what they look like. I had almost given up on you posting pictures of them. Keep em coming.

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

No problem man. I think I should try to remember to take pics during one of my outings. That way people can see what I'm slogging through and how nasty some of it is. Post some pics of yours. Afterall it's a review thread.

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

So I sat down and spent a half hour with soapy water, a sponge and a toothbrush and really cleaned up the 721s. After that I treated them with Wolverine boot oil. Oh and I treated the soles as well. I figure why not, if I don't bust my heinie slipping and the soles last another couple months then it's all good. What was very interesting is the boots took a lot of oil which tells me they were dry. My boots were dark to begin with but now being wet with oil they are nearly black. I've seen this happen with boot oil and the color does lighten back up after a week or so. What I'm really hoping is the stay a bit darker and the color ends up being a deep black cherry color. I'm also going to post a detail shot of one of the toe boxes. It's obvious that the cordovan is aging far differently than the Chromexcel. There's a few scratches but no rough abrasions like what's on my other boots. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. thams

thams Senior member

The main difference that I see between your boots and mine is the matte finish your cordovan seems to have. I'm sure it's because of the treatments you use on your boots. It's not that it's a bad thing, just different. Do you ever brush your boots to a shine, or do you only wipe them down when needed?

I've noticed that the tackiness that my boots once had is slowly going away and is giving way to a shinier finish (which I like). For those that want the shinier appearance, a damp rag and horsehair brush will make a major difference. I'll post pictures sometime soon -- perhaps tonight after some brushing and a beer.

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I'm sure it's the treatments to some extent not to mention I don't wax them though this time around that's going to change as well. I want to see what these things really look like spit shined. I do brush them down regularly so dust and dirt don't accumulate.