• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile > Red Wing Gentleman Traveler

sockpuppets

Reaction score
I don't understand why the GT is so popular, they fit awfully narrow. I felt like throwing mine out the window. Just got a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile and it's like night and day. Quality of construction seems better, too. Watch for a pair of GT black us 10 going on eBay, no reserve.
wink.gif
Paid $240 for the Wolverines and 200 on the GT.

Astan

Reaction score
I ******* love my 1k mile boots. Soooooo nice. In my humble opinion, everyone needs a pair. And they aren't expensive, by any means. I bought mine at full price and even then they are worth every penny. Next is something from Alden, maybe Indy in chromexel (I hate the top stitching on the Indy boot though...not sure what to do).

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Umm yeah, this couldn't have gone in the GT or 1000 mile threads where this discussion comes up every tenth post. Real men aren't afraid to break in a pair of Red Wings.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Umm yeah, this couldn't have gone in the GT or 1000 mile threads where this discussion comes up every tenth post. Real men aren't afraid to break in a pair of Red Wings.

I don't live here like you. You don't have to be an ass about it, princess.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
mods please merge threads

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do you have pics or reasons why the 1000 mile is better? Otherwise, WTF is the point.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
I don't live here like you. You don't have to be an ass about it, princess.

Yeah, an average of 1.03 posts/day really constitutes living here.

Uker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
Do you have pics or reasons why the 1000 mile is better? Otherwise, WTF is the point.

Basically this. I am tossing up the two right now and want a reason!

sockpuppets

Reaction score
The fit and fish on the wolverine seems better. The Wolverine is true to size and doesn't require much of a break in period. After wearing the GT for 2 weeks they tore my feet apart and still weren't broken in. The aesthetics of the wolverine appeal to me more than the GT, in particular the material and wooden styling of the sole. I'm normally an 11, the GT 10 fit my toes and heel but absolutely were too narrow in the middle.

Pics, well I could take some but there are photos of both readily available. They're similar, but having them side by side the Wolverine feels like a more quality shoe. Also, I prefer the top few lace holders to be open vs eyelet on the GT, they're easier to put on and off.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the 1000 mile is better. The leather especially. There really is no argument for the GT when it comes to leather quality, its just ok.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Wolverine is true to size and doesn't require much of a break in
you really feel they are true to size? I'm a 12 in a lot of shoes, an 11.5 in Alden Indy and I took an 11 in the 1K Mile boot. These boots run huge. The quality is very high though, better then the GT for sure. Fit wasn't great for me so I no longer have these but a nice boot for sure.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
redwing sizing is pretty dumb (1.5 sizes large??? my foot measure almost 9 and 7.5 fit), the leather takes a lot to break in(black cherry anyway, Get Smart says the tan ones are easy to break in), and their QA is a bit suspect, but other than that I love them!

They aren't narrow, Id say medium as my foot is medium/borderline wide.

The black cherry color w/ white stiching is the best part IMO...after break-in GTs are really very comfortable, like wearing sneakers.

of course to each thier own

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MortyGras
So.. basically you made a thread to say that you like the Wolverine 1000 mile boot?

What's with you girls getting your panties in a bunch over a thread? If it's an issue let a mod handle it. If it really gets you irritated you're probably uptight.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
you really feel they are true to size? I'm a 12 in a lot of shoes, an 11.5 in Alden Indy and I took an 11 in the 1K Mile boot. These boots run huge. The quality is very high though, better then the GT for sure. Fit wasn't great for me so I no longer have these but a nice boot for sure.

Well, unless this 11 stretches out quite a bit I'd call it true to size. I'm normally an 11 and it fits me very well, neither tight nor loose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads