• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile boot -- what to pair with?

dparm

Reaction score
Hi all, long-time lurker, first-time poster. I bought a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile black boots. Loving the boots but I'm often struggling on what to pair them with. Maybe it's because I don't wear black shoes often, and because I have these in brown too. For now I'm pairing them with dark denim and occasionally khakis, and shirts with black in the pattern. But the black boots don't seem as versatile as the browns. I'm really close to just selling them and taking it as a loss...and learning not to be as impulsive because some sales guy throws me a discount. No real dress code at work so I go for nice denim and casual button-down shirts. Below are some photos. Thanks in advance!
IMG_4308.jpg
IMG_4311.jpg
IMG_4317.jpg
IMG_3406.jpg

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still can't really tell what they look like. Can you post more pictures?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dparm
Hi all, long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I bought a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile black boots. Loving the boots but I'm often struggling on what to pair them with. Maybe it's because I don't wear black shoes often, and because I have these in brown too.

For now I'm pairing them with dark denim and occasionally khakis, and shirts with black in the pattern. But the black boots don't seem as versatile as the browns. I'm really close to just selling them and taking it as a loss...and learning not to be as impulsive because some sales guy throws me a discount. No real dress code at work so I go for nice denim and casual button-down shirts. Below are some photos.

Thanks in advance!

Black casual shoes in general work best when you have some black up top - either in your shirt or in a jacket. I have one shirt (a black and purple check) and some black sweaters and black coats that work well with black shoes in fall and winter.

dparm

Reaction score
You just used the words "fall" and "winter". I think that's my problem -- these boots are not the best for summer. In the fall I have lots of olives, browns, etc, they'd look great with. Summer and spring are more light colors that contrast.

I've really been eyeing the tan wingtip "Addison" version. Are these more spring & summer oriented?

WOLV-MZ9_V1.jpg

kickinrad

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having all three of those... if I lived somewhere it wasn't too hot and humid to wear boots in the summer. I didn't even know there such thing as a "summer boot".

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dparm
You just used the words "fall" and "winter". I think that's my problem -- these boots are not the best for summer. In the fall I have lots of olives, browns, etc, they'd look great with. Summer and spring are more light colors that contrast.

I've really been eyeing the tan wingtip "Addison" version. Are these more spring & summer oriented?

WOLV-MZ9_V1.jpg

Yeah, light colored shoes in general work better in the spring / summer. Some boots are all year round (brown Indys for example) while others are more fall winter oriented ( Red Wings with lug soles for example)

BTW, there is a thread on Wolverines a page or two back, generally it's best to put inquires like this in existing threads. Thanks

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's already a thread for this.
Which has a 1000 pics of 1000 mile boots.

JohnathanWade

Reaction score
Late response, by JIC you still want some additional feedback. I have these in black and brown, and I've got to say on the issue of versatility, despite what other posters have said, I find myself reaching for the black just as often--if not more often--than the browns. In addition to jeans and black trousers, I wear the blacks with a pair of casual black and white light plaid trousers which I wear frequently in the spring/summer, grays, greens, almost any color trouser other than brown/khaki. As you probably know, these days, it's not an issue to mix black and brown as much as it used to be. Personally, no matter how hard I try, I just can't go there--and I don't have to because I have dozens of better options to choose from--but I many of my friends/acquaintances whose styles I admire that make this choice consistently.

I'd also add that though I am a huge fan of the 1000 mile line, I am not a fan of the Addison. I have tried them on more than once and have seen them on other people, and there is just something "off" about the way they wear, particularly the light tan color. I did though see a post on SF with a fellow who used pitch blend to darken them a bit, and they were a little more tolerable. The 1000 mile is clearly not a dress boot--it's a work boot--and to me, the Addison tempts one into trying to make it act like one. Stated succinctly, it's too dressy for jeans/khakis and not dressy enough for my business casual work environment (or refined social dress). For the wingtip dress boot, I swear by my Aldens. I leave the 1000 mile boots for casual wear and keep the delineation between work and dress distinct.

Did you end up getting rid of the blacks and/or buying the Addisons?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads