Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

You could say it's a slightly abusive relationship.

2. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Oh I don't know about all that. I do know that over the years I've clearly demonstrated that with the proper care you can do just about anything to these boots (pretty much applies to all good boots) and they'll get along just fine. What I use and how I do it works. That's really what this has been all about from day one.

Yes, but it's been mutual. Where the boots went I was right there with them. LOL.

3. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

that looks awesome. I bet if you clean the midsole and the uppers even more, you can still wear it to the club :D

4. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

The right boot looks kind of grey and matte still; will that just dry out and shine back up, or do you think the leather's more damaged there?

5. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Very true. Remember what my 721s looked like before someone talked me into really cleaning them up?

The leather is in no way damaged. Scuffed and maybe in need of more oil and a serious snoseal job yes. Pics are notoriously off compared to seeing them in person. That grey as you call it is really almost black with some red brown tones. They are also still wet from the oil which makes the color appear much darker. As I mentioned above, if I want them to look really sharp I can. I already showed how to do that by using a brush and water in the 721LTD thread.

These are dedicated to hiking so making them all shiny is not what I care about at all. One thing is for sure, the after hike pictures show how well you can hide a multitude of sin without a lot of work at all. And you have the added benefit of knowing you can go out and do it all over again with no worries at all. What you have seen in this recent set is just one round of the hundreds of such rounds these boots have gone through. They still look good and there's no question about their durability.

6. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

OK for the sake of argument I decided to water brush my original brown 1Ks. In my last few posts I documented what they looked like before and after my hike. I also documented the steps I took to make them look like this...

[​IMG]
    Final Step A by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Final Step B by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

IMO they look better now than they did before my fun filled adventure.

7. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

:O I bet new waxed laces, some edge dressing, more elbow grease and one would`ve never thought you abused the expletive out of those

8. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yep and you want to talk about a patina, these have it. Perhaps I should take the time and do what you suggest. I'm pretty sure I have a pair of brown 1Ks sitting in the back room BNIB. It would be interesting to put them side by side and compare them. Now that would be a lot of work that invariably would be wasted in about 10 minutes on my next serious outing so the collective here would have to convince me to do it. Otherwise I believe my point has been made.

BTW Wolverine has finally gotten around to packaging up laces for these boots. They're either available now or will be when all the Fall stuff comes out. They're also putting out a boot care kit in a fancy box as well.

I'm not sure if I'll be getting a pair of 744LTDs. I will be getting a pair of brown Stocktons and in the Spring Wolverine is releasing a 6 inch boot that is very similar to the Filson canvas/leather boot due out in the Fall. It's a really nice boot and very well suited to my around water antics.

9. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Wouldn't canvas end up irreparably fucked a lot sooner than leather, especially with the way you wear them?

Also, definitely do want to see you polish these boots up properly and do that side by side.

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yeah that could happen. The lower portion of the boot is all leather while the sides are leather and canvas. They would be lighter for sure and not as likely to fill up with water like a cup. They'll also breath a whole lot better.

Well I guess I'll do them up then. It'll take me a while so be patient. I need to get some edge dressing and some good wax. I'm not going to buff them on a burnishing wheel though. The scuffs are part of the patina and I'm not removing it.

11. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

:deadhorse:

Point made. The boots are three years old and have been through more than people on here would do to them in 10 years. I know I am a believer and very happy I recently joined the 1000 mile club. Thanks for all your efforts to appease the masses.

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Thanks, does that mean I'm off the hook about really doing them up?

13. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

As far as I am concerned-yes. I am sure others will want to you to go through with it anyway.

14. raags

raags Senior member

If I'm a US8 in most shoes, do you think I should get a US 7 1/2 or US8 in Wolverines to wear with thick socks?

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member