Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. althanis

althanis Senior member

I don't think you should try to make a "workwear" boots into dress boots. These are always going to look rugged. If you want a dress boot there are lots of options to choose from; they have calf leather and are going to be able to shine quite a lot.

2. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

@Digga I am seeing some of the lines you are talking about but the rest just seems knit picky. Personally, I do not think I would worry about any of it. You are going to do more damage than that after a couple of wears. Plus some leather oil should take care of most of what you are seeing anyway.

Thanks to you I will take a closer look at mine tonight and see if I see any of those things on mine.

P.S-Stop being a girl. :p

3. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

While I appreciate your opinion, my take is White's, Wesco, Red Wing, et al. don't come in a leather sole for that purpose: work-wear. Wolverine is more of a hybrid dress/work casual boot with the inclusion of a leather sole in my opinion. Also, Chromexcel is used in a number of Alden and other brand's hybrid work/dress boots and shoes where one would desire a more polished finish. I don't think it's unreasonable to pursue a more presentable finish on a casual boot, and let's face it, most 1000 mile owners are wearing them casually with $200 selvedge jeans to work or play.

The toes I worked with Kiwi actually have a nice luster going on today - I'll snap some pics later!

4. althanis

althanis Senior member

You're right about the leather soles leaning more towards something that's on the formal side about the spectrum, that's a good point.

5. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Wore my new pair today for the first time. Very comfortable right out of the box and I ran a 15 K race yesterday, so my feet are a little blistered up and sore. They feel broken in already. Had a random compliment on them as well.

I also have the Red Wing Gentleman Traveler and these are certainly a little dressier. They will never be mistaken for dress boots, but they look great with chinos.

6. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Quit worrying about them. Go out and wear them in good health and beat them senseless. If anyone should know how much these things will take and still look good that person would be me.

This is what a well used and cared for pair of original 1Ks will look like after about 3 years.

[​IMG]
    Brown 1Ks 3 years later detail (1) by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

Don't think the shell boots will shine up? They will and I don't use wax, just water and a brush. My antics with these have been well documented in my review thread.

[​IMG]
    721LTDs Waterbrushed (3) by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

My tan Addisons after one of my jaunts kicking over rocks, sliding down scree covered hillsides and a few miles of dusty trails.

[​IMG]
    Wolverine Addisons by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

Um, what were you talking about again?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Got a visit from our Wolverine rep yesterday. Saw some of the 1K lineup slated for Fall 2012 and Spring 2013. I've been pretty much told I can talk things up a bit and once pics are available from Wolverine I can start posting them as well.

I more or less ordered 2 new pairs of boots and one pair of shoes. I'm sure that list will grow. LOL!

Wolverine and Filson got together and in the Fall you'll see two different styles of boots. One is all leather, the other is leather and waxed canvas. There will be two bags coming out under the 1K line. One is a duffel type (think Filson medium duffel) and the other is a messenger style. Both are made of waxed canvas trimmed with leather. You'll also see belts and a shoe/boot care kit as well.

Oh and just so you know, Wolverine bought a few more companies lately and one of them is Sperry. You'd be surprised how many of you are wearing "Wolverine" without even knowing it.

8. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

If you want them to look like hybrid dress boots, why are you using sno-seal? That's taking you in the opposite direction from a shiny/glossy finish.

9. Newo

Newo Senior member

I'm way too excited about this. Also, I had no idea that Wolverine had the kind of cash to buy up companies like Sperry. Did you get any ETA on when Wolverine is releasing those pics?

10. digga

digga Senior member

Is this separation between the heel and sole normal? These have been worn for 2 days.

[​IMG]

11. ShiroiAkuma

ShiroiAkuma Senior member

I've never seen some many complaints over "boots" before, not to mention "work boots". It seems like all common sense & search abilities go right out the window.
    When was the last time you bought boots or even leather shoes that came perfect?

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Wolverine does something like 2.5 billion in sales a year. They are a huge player in the footwear world. They own a bunch of labels.

Perhaps it is. That's an area that's under a fair amount of stress. My guess is it'll disappear after the boot breaks in a bit. Now if it gets worse then I would say there's a problem.

Now for an interesting blast from the past. This is an invoice from Wolverine dated 1952 for some pigskin shoes and 18 pairs of cordovan shoes. Yeah we've been selling Wolverine for a while. Rumor has it that we may actually have invoices for the original 721s somewhere.

[​IMG]

Do the right click view in new tab thing to read the invoice.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Oh and no clue as to when images will be available. Once we see them on our order screen I can post them up.

14. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Senior member

So cool. Amazing that the shoes were just over $5 a pair.

15. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Accounting for inflation, that makes the wholesale price for a pair of cordovan wolverines in 1952 about $42. Fuck that.