• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

BrianMendoza

Reaction score
Quote:
are you located in california? my cobbler is cool but im looking for a cheaper place.

Yup, I'm in San Diego. The shoe repair store I go to is called John's Shoe Repair. John's a super nice guy and gets the job done right and fast. The last pair I got done was 2 weeks ago and I came in on a Saturday, which is his busy day, and he still managed to get them done for me before they closed at 5.

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like mink oil for a couple of reasons. Some mink oil is not mink oil at all. It's some petroleum based product and petrol anything and leather is a great big no no. Real mink oil is an animal fat and it tends to rot which is no good anyway you look at it. After years of trying this and that on leather I've settled on Lexol cleaner and conditioner, Filson boot oil and Snoseal.

BTW if your cobbler is charging more than around 35 bucks to do a half sole job go somewhere else. My guy does the job for around 30 bucks a pair with heel plate. Full resole jobs are another matter. For that he charges me around a C note depending on the sole used.

ADDIC

Reaction score
i got charged $39 to put a vibram half sole on my wolverines. and it took a week. granted they did a real nice job. might look around for another cobbler.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
ill trade professional level copy editing for boots!

requiem123

Reaction score
Posted a page or two back but my posts were pending moderator approval and were kind of buried so I'll just paste it here.

Anyone have any experience with both the LL Bean Katahdin and the Wolverine 1000 mile boots? if I was a 8.5 in the Katahdin's what would I looking at in the Wolverine's?

Thanks in advance and thanks for this great thread, I'll be happy to contribute with pictures and thoughts when I finally get a pair. Speaking of which, any places other than eBay and Revolve clothing (30% off) I should be looking at to get a deal on these boots? I'm down in Australia so shipping is usually around $50, so that really limits my choices.

Also, out of all the eBay stores which are actually reputable? Anyone actually bought a pair from eBay?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I alone in thinking that Wolverine can't make a decent brogue boot?

ADDIC

Reaction score

yeah. thing is, 9$ difference on a 340$ retail shoe is pretty marginal

i like to save money whenever i can. thats why i bought a pair for $200. no way im paying close to $340. plus, if the boots can be resoled quicker for less money elsewhere, why not?

Last edited:

derrida26

Reaction score
because for 9$ less there's always that chance they **** up and do a worse job, making the overall 200$ investment less meaningful

EDIT: I'm not saying it's not worth a try. But it's not like 39$ is in any way ripping you off, and if you're happy with the result, I don't see the point in searching out somewhere else entirely new

Last edited:

wesmamyke

Reaction score
I'm glad nobody else seems to be getting screwed by this guy. I have two defective pairs from him though. Wolverine responded quickly about the problem at first, but after requesting I send them pictures of the boots they have not gotten back to me.

I should probably post pictures here just so folks can know what to look for when shopping for these things. One boot has a very strange twist to the entire upper, the top of the heel counter is off to the side by an inch or so, and the lacing is off to the side in the front as well.

BrianMendoza

Reaction score
Quote:
i got charged $39 to put a vibram half sole on my wolverines. and it took a week. granted they did a real nice job. might look around for another cobbler.

Dang. I see where you're coming from. I would expect to pay that price for a one day job, but a week is a bit of time for something that apparently can be done properly in a couple hours. I pay $25 bucks out the door for same day service.

To be honest though, I've been considering buying a set of half soles to practice with. They're usually around $8, and not to take anything away from the cobbler, but I'm sure it doesn't require a master skill set. My dumbed down assumption of the process is: tracing the sole onto the half sole, exacto knifing it, using shoe-goo or some sort of strong/flexible adhesive, and then sanding down excess exacto-cutting at the same time flushing the edge with the sole. I've noticed after picking up both boots, that the edge of my outsoles had been very evenly sanded down and then re-conditioned/finished to look like new. I'm sure that's the part when a cobbler would say that your exacto knife cut doesn't have to be perfect because the sanding will fix any imperfections and make the soles look better anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads