Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. althanis

althanis Senior member

Patrick, help me out here.

Whenever I apply the LP, and use the blowdryer, and then let it sit overnight, there's always a slightly sticky residue that remains on it. I imagine that's extra LP. I used a brush to brush it, but then the bristles on the brush ended up getting the residue on it too. So I'm not sure what to do. I guess I could try washing the brush, and continue to brush it.

Does this happen to you?

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I should have mentioned that I have a separate horsehair brush for Obenauf LP and *never* use that brush on dress shoes. Since I have a dedicated brush for LP, I never worried about it transferring to another shoe. As for the sticky residue, once I hit it with the hair dryer for a minute or so, there really isn't much product sitting on the surface of the leather. The small amount that is left just gets brushed off and then evaporates quickly. There is a bit of a tackiness to it that I find collects dust like crazy, but after a day or two it dries fully and I don't notice the tackiness any longer.

I tried to polish the 1K's once with brown kiwi and realized quickly that once LP's been applied to CXL, it's virtually impossible to ever get a shine. Not that I wanted a mirror shine on workboots but I hoped for a little bit of shine. I've since grown to like the matte finish of just the brushed LP anyway (not that I have a choice).

3. replicat0r

replicat0r Well-Known Member

ahh thank you for the helpful reply!!!

Just one more thing tho.. those two you mentioned.. is there an order I should apply them to? and to clarify.. they are like sno seal right? So after I apply those 2, I dont need to apply sno seal?
    sorry for so many questions, its my first pair of "real" boots and nice shoe. I am very excited!!

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

No problem, glad to help. To clarify you can use Obenauf LP *or* Montana Pitch Blend which both take the place of sno-seal.

Obenauf LP and MPB are very similar products and both are a better choice than sno-seal, IMO. I've never used MPB but have used sno-seal and LP extensively. IMO, LP is a great leather conditioner/preservative and waterproofer. Sno-seal may be a better waterproofer but it's finish is waxier/tackier than LP, which is why I prefer LP.

For a pair of outdoor hiking boots where ultimate water resistance is necessary and aesthetics are less of a concern, sno-seal may be the better option. It's been the waterproofer of choice for years. I still have a half full jar purchased when I was in college circa 1990-ish that I used for years on outdoor leather hiking boots.

For footwear like 1K's, some Alden models or White's Semi-Dress, where aesthetics play a larger role, I prefer to use LP as it looks better than sno-seal when applied. With all that said, all three products could be used interchangeably so if you have a preference, they'd all accomplish the same thing. When I finally discovered LP, I decided it met my needs and never felt the need to use anything else.

HTH.

-pb

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks! I kinda wish I could replicate the burnishing on the toe but without the shininess, just the darker color. Maybe I could try using black cream polish on the toe?? Probably wouldn't work very well. Thanks again.

6. themaskedcorndog

themaskedcorndog Senior member

my tan addisons did this but it sort of corrects itself over time. i wouldnt worry about it. patrick_d those look fucking awesome

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Yeah, I'm not sure how you could do it without polishing the whole boot - both ways will look odd. These look great as they are, though!

8. Virchow

Virchow Well-Known Member

I would disagree with this. I've finished quite a few boots with Sno-seal and if you heat and buff them well they are just as smooth as before the treatment. It does darken boots quite a bit though.

9. oilpit

oilpit Senior member

This made me really like the Addison...

10. replicat0r

replicat0r Well-Known Member

Sweet!

I just placed an order for Obenauf LP. Should arrive here about the same time the boots get here!! New shoes! very excited !!!

11. althanis

althanis Senior member

Congratulations! I was really excited for mine. I hope you enjoy them!

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

+1...enjoy them when you get 'em. If you like the look of the leather laces, you can get a spool of 5/32" Latigo Lace at Tandy that'll last a lifetime.

13. althanis

althanis Senior member

Oh and thanks Patrick. Maybe I'm applying a little too much. And yep, I keep a separate brush for the shoes. I'll try with a little less so there's not a whole lot extra on it.

14. Dayman

Dayman Senior member

Thank you for posting this! I just got the Wolverine Winchester for $189 from $315 and Quoddy Maine Woodsman boot for $270 form $450 Your awesome!