Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Pinhas

Pinhas Senior member

The pair I recently bought from Epaulet has 2 holes on the right shoe and 1 on the left. I think these aren't missing stitching, but rather extra holes that were not used.

2. mugatu

mugatu Senior member

same here, brand new pair from union, last hole is unstitched on each inner side.. honestly i would have probably never noticed it if it weren't for this thread, it's kinda strange i guess... other than that though i couldn't be happier with the quality and style of these boots, i've also got a brand new pair of alden 403's and honestly i'm more impressed with the wolves atm ( the alden's have some minor stitching flaws as well tbh )

3. slide13

slide13 Senior member

^ Aldens almost always have some flaws somewhere in my experieince....I've learned to live with them and still appreciate them for what they are. The 1k milers are really well made boots for the price, I just wish they fit me better, the ankle portion is always a little too loose on my skinny ass ankles.

4. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I for one support your crusade for sartorial justice. I've returned more than one perfectly functional item because a thread was out of place, an upper was scratched (by someone else) or it seemed in some way imperfect. I draw the line only at returning socks for any reason.... that's just petty. Not to say I have not been tempted. But you go get the boots your were destined for... by any means necessary [​IMG]

5. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

Hard decision. Thinking about stopping by the shop on the walk home tonight and picking up the Wesleys in brown/tan.

6. indigoeagle

indigoeagle Senior member

For people looking for purchase options I can recommend buying through Crane's Country Store. I've experienced friendly and reliable service with them. Just give them a call.
    They also have a nice range of Filson goods.
    And for sizing: My European size is 43.5-44, that's UK 9-9.5 and thus US 10-10.5. In the Wolverine 1K the US 9.5 definitely fit the best.

7. indigoeagle

Supplementing my post above a bit.
    For a good, tight fit 9.5 in my case seems best. And I'm sure they will stretch a bit more. The 1Ks are quite comfortable out of the box, though.
    If you intend to use them really hard, and/or walk in them long distances, which will most likely cause your feet to swell a bit, and/or you prefer to have some room, then in my example a 10 would be best, I think.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

8. ADDIC

ADDIC Well-Known Member

^^how much do they go for?

couldnt find them in the online store

9. indigoeagle

Yes, they're not in the webstore.
    I called them. They can order them for you.

10. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 Senior member

Is the 1000 mile leather superior or inferior to the Red Wing GTs? I was browsing around today, saw the 1000 Mile at Club Monaco in all colours (I was quite surprised). To me, the leather felt "cheaper" than the GTs, maybe someone can clarify?

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

It uses Horween CXL leather. Never heard a horween product described as 'cheap'. I found that the 1K Mile boot was comfortable out of the box while RW GT's would clearly take time to feel comfortably soft. I saw that as a plus as I could determine proper fit from minute one, as opposed to wondering if any discomfort was due to a fit issue or simply a break-in issue. After trying on both, I went with the 1K. I'm sure both will serve you well for many seasons.

12. ErPupone

ErPupone Member

Hey lads, I just got my 1k and i was wondering if i should apply some "waterproofing" spray on them ? or any other water protection ?
    I think leather is already treated but i would like to be sure before wearing them outside

13. althanis

althanis Senior member

I used Obenauf's LP on mine for some water resistance. Some people say they darkened their boots a lot, but it didn't darken mine at all; I have the brown one. Some people also use Snoseal, but I personally prefer the Obenauf's. I also use the Obenauf's on my veg-tanned bag, and I'm a big fan of it.

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Don't use a spray, esp one that has silicone in it.

many here have done what althanis recommended, Obenauf LP (leather preservative), it's an all natural wax based product that will improve water resistance greatly. A similar product is sno-seal. I've used both and prefer the Obenauf LP. Note, as althanis mentioned, some people don't like the darkening effect that these products have. My experience is that the LP wax doesn't significantly change the appearance but I've read that the Obenauf oil does. Therefore, I stick with the LP.

15. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior member

Patrick, where did you get you leather laces from? (Brendan from USN)