Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

I took the boot to a very experienced "cobbler". He even put the boots under a magnifying glass and counted the stitches. Both boots had the same number of stitches. The one boot has an extra hole. He said that the Original is one of best boots made. He's been in the business for more than 40 years.

2. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

Your life is going to be filled with disappointment.

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

FWIW, I just checked my 1K's which are about a year old. No missing stitches.

4. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

Just picked up a copy of the new Fall '11 Wolverine Rockford cap-toe boot. I'd ordered them a couple months ago and due to a production delay On The Fly gave me 40% off. That's some quality customer service, will order from again.

Here are some photos I just snapped -- click thumbnails for high-res:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Some updated images of my brown 1K's. They are just at the one year mark. They are a three season boot for me so get very little to no wear from May to Sept. I treated w/Obenauf LP 4-5 times last season but they've seen virtually no care aside from a good brushing this fall. In addition to the LP treatments, I've made two half hearted attempts with brown kiwi wax, but once the LP's been applied to the CXL leather, the chance of a good shine is non-existent. However, I never wanted a mirror shine and like the way that the kiwi just brings out a bit of luster. IMO, they look the best after a good brushing with just the LP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After buying these last year (at a great discount on sale), I conducted a ton of research on high quality work boots (White's, Viberg, Wesco, etc.). I had my heart set on a pair of Dress Brown SD's. However, when it came down to it, I do like the look and fit of the 1K's so I decided to just wear these instead of coveting yet another pair of boots like the SD's. Perhaps when these die, I'll upgrade to the White's. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the 1K's.

I found them very comfortable out of the box, unlike the RW Gt's I tried on. In the end, they are a good quality boot and were a terrific value (on sale). IMO, even at MSRP of ~$300, they are a good choice. I'm still on the fence about adding a vibram composite half sole to the leather soles or wait for the leather to wear out over time and then have a full vibram added.

I wore them throughout the winter last year and we had more snow than in the previous ten yrs combined. They held up fine and kept my feet dry, however the leather sole on ice & snow isn't a good choice. The more I consider my options, the half sole idea seems like the wisest choice. It's safer but still maintains the boot's design aesthetics/purpose, i.e., it would make it a more versatile piece of footwear and still look cool, IMO.

Note, these are all half soles which are installed over the existing leather sole (like a topy).

1st choice, Vibram #435 Mini-Lug half sole:

[​IMG]

Vibram #705 composite half sole:

[​IMG]

And lastly, a new-ish choice from Vibram, the 2341 Raptor, designed for snow & ice (also the most significant change to the boot's appearance:

[​IMG]

6. malaujai

malaujai Senior member

Can anyone comment on the thickness of the Vibram 435 compared to the 705? I'm looking for minimal thickness but don't want the half sole to be completely useless...

When I went to the local cobbler he showed me a half sole with a double narrow line design that looked pretty thin, but compared to the 435, it didn't look like it would provide as much grip?

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I've only seen the 705 and the 2337 (for dress shoes) in person. My cobbler indicated that the mini lug isn't all that thicker than the 705 but didn't have one to show me.

8. althanis

althanis Senior member

Can anyone tell me where in Toronto I can go to get this done?

I visited the Novelty Shoe Repair shop or whatever it is near Richmond and Yonge, but I felt that the guy there wasn't exactly someone I could sit down and talk to about different options and stuff. He just wanted your business.

And I don't really care about the 2 holes missing stitches on mine.

9. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I'm looking into a pair of 1ks and I wanted to ask about sizing. I am usually a 10. I went to the store to try these on yesterday and since they tend to run big i tried on a 9 and a 9.5. The 9.5 fit comfortably but seemed ever so slightly long, as I could feel a bit of side-to-side movement in my heel. But the 9 was completely snug in every way, so much so that I could feel a solid line from my heel on through my ankle, with almost no give.

So I'm wondering, are the fit of these boots such that I should er on the size of tightness and trust them to loosen, or should they not be as snug as, say, a new AE shoe all the way through my ankle?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

10. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

IMO get the 9.5 and use an appropriately sized insole to fix up the sizing issues and add some comfort - the 1000 miles have next to no padding on the footbed.

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

That's good advice. A 10.5 fit but wasn't snug while the 10 was too snug IMO. I use a superfeet insole with the 10.5's and couldn't be happier. Not sure they'd stretch much.

12. Pinhas

Pinhas Senior member

I wear a 10 in most shoes, and just bought the 1000K boot in 9.5. Generally boots run big, and should be purchased .5 size down. I also tried both the 10 and 9 and 9.5 was perfect.

On a side note, I ordered Sno-Seal to waterproof them, but was wearing them in the mean time, and they have a few scrapes on them. Should I polish them and then Sno-Seal or Sno-Seal and then polish? Will they be possible to shine polish and buff after the Sno-Seal treatment?

13. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the 9.5 and add a padded insole as suggested.

14. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

I can't speak to Toronto specifically, but my advice for finding a qualified cobbler is to call a store that sells nice shoes and ask who they recommend.

Also, my 1ks that are 1 year old have the 2 extra holes on one shoe, but I never noticed until now.

15. eGOISTe 7

eGOISTe 7 New Member