Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. malaujai

malaujai Senior member

So I need to go out and buy some wax and went to the cobbler... I decided to ask his advice as well and he pretty much took the boot from me and worked on it... I didn't expect that at all.. Think he used some shoe cream/polish, but didn't wax it, I don't think.

Should I re-apply sno-seal right away or wait for it to settle a bit first?

2. mugatu

mugatu Senior member

Help! If I'm a true 9D (brannock size) , and size 8.5D in Alden Indy's, is there a chance a 1000mile in size 8 would fit correct?

3. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

If anyone is looking to order the exclusive Orvis 1000 mile oxfords, they are having free shipping right now. As far as Orvis discounts go, that's about as good as it gets it seems (also 6% cashback through fatwallets/mrrebates right now)

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=4Y9E

[​IMG]

See this post by [email protected] for some more pics:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/163864/wolverine-1000-mile-boot-review/720#post_4859497

I was told by the 1000 mile customer service rep that they are introducing these to the regular 100 mile collection in black and brown for fall 2012.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

4. Pinhas

Pinhas Senior member

Just got back form trying on the 1000 mile original and the Wesley. I intended to get the original, but fell in love with the Wesley. Does anyone have any experience with them? I was looking for a winter boot for general NYC walking, so I am thinking the Wesley is not enough for this since its more of a chukka and feels thinner.

Am I correct or will the Wesley be enough?

5. althanis

althanis Senior member

For what it's worth, the 1K's that I bought from Revolve each have 2 holes without stitching. It kinda bothers me, but it's not a big deal.

6. illumin8em

illumin8em Senior member

selling a pair, black size 10.5 if anyone is interested

7. indigoeagle

indigoeagle Senior member

My 1Ks have that, too. I also got the brown ones. On both the left and right shoe on the left hand side, the last three holes are not stitched. The shoes were also bought at Revolve.
    Since it was on both I thought it might be some traditional thing. Not sure.
    Perhaps other owners can chime in.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

8. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

This week, I purchased my first pair of the 1000 mile boots. (Original, brown) Love 'em. Amazingly comfortable on first wearing. I stand most of the day, and I like the support. One of my shoes also has a couple of holes without the stitching as others have stated.

9. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

10. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

A hand-stitched boot should be flawless! If I'm going to drop a couple of bills on high end boots... I expect exacting quality. This is not a mall store brand. The quality of the boots should be reflected in the price.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

11. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I agree. Bottom line - if the holes are there, they should be used. But it does seem odd that the stitches are missing on so many boots. I wonder if they had a run of machine or handsewing screwups - punched too many holes, missed stitches, etc. - that they didn't catch after a run and just decided to let go. It would be interesting to hear if anyone's asked Wolverine about the problem.

12. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

It's kinda cute once you realize that your "expensive $300 shoes!" are barely at the the beginnings of the low-end of so-called quality shoes. Maybe our level of expectations are much different, but frankly a few cosmetic "imperfections" (which isn't even known for sure if that's what that is) on a WORK boot in the $300-400 or less range doesn't bother me. Those same imperfections on, say, a pair of Saint Crispin, Edward Green, John Lobb, etc, now we're getting into justifiable bitching territory. Now, if the imperfection affects the actual wearability/longevity/durability of the shoe, then it's a problem. But a few scuffs and some errant stitches isn't going to bother me at this price point. Seriously, looking at your picture and your complaint, you guys are borderline OCD on that. That's something I wouldn't have even noticed and I certainly wouldn't notice it on you if you were wearing it. Hell, if you were kicking a guy in the teeth with them, I doubt he'd stop to say "Hey, by the way, did you know you've got a possible defect on your shoes?"

I'll do more damage to my boots in a weekend on my motorcycle.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

13. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

No disrespect, but I don't care if they're $5 shoes. They are being sold as new and should be delivered in perfect condition. It's nice that those kinds of things don't bother you; but I don't begrudge someone who gets upset about it. It shows a lack of care and respect for the customer.

14. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Don't worry about a few extra holes, all those pics look just fine to me. You guys are way to concerned with very minor issues here, especially for $300 boots. It's fine and pretty normal. I've seen it on Red Wings, Aldens, White's, Chippewa, etc. We're not talking $2,000 bespoke benchmade shoes here. These are mass produced, albeit relatively high quality, boots. If you expect absolute perfection in a $300 pair of boots you are going to have to learn to live with disappointment. I had to search through a number of Alden cordovan boots to find the ones with the fewest amount of flaws when I got mine....still haven't seen what I would consider a flawless pair and those are 2x the cost of these guys.

If you really expect flawless I hope you're prepared to spend well more than $300.