Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

A Toronto shoe repair shop should be able to get a Vibram sole added to your boot. You'll want a compound that gives sure grip on slippery surfaces.

2. malaujai

malaujai Senior member

Thanks! I was also debating between the Obenauf's LP and the sno-seal... I like the original colour/tone of the boots so I might settle for the one that darkens the boot less...

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I'd go with Obenauf LP. Note, I've read here that the Obenauf oil darkens significantly. I've posted pics in this thread after several LP applications. Color's remained close to original.

4. Grolsch

Grolsch Active Member

Excellent boots! I have one just like yours. I've been wearing mostly GT or IR to office daily. The very first day I wore the 1k miles to work, I got 3 compliments :) plus everyone wanted to know from where they all can get one! My feet are wide and mine being EEE is super comfy. Although must confess that I'm finding it tad too roomier than those snug fitting D size RWs.

5. gnu

gnu Senior member

I'm thinking its about time to oil up my boots. I've got some obernauf and I was just wondering how to put it on. Do I just put it on with the brush that comes attached to the cap and let it soak in or do I need to rub it in with a rag?

6. Steven-RFG

Steven-RFG Member

Thats a nice looking boot. Not bulky at all. I think it looks like the perfect shade too.

7. iroh

iroh Senior member

what is the appeal of these boots? they look just like a pair of regular work boots, nothing special really, maybe even cheap looking to the untrained eye. why not buy some alden boots from leathersoul, they look much better.

8. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

They look conservative. If you want more casual Wolverine boots, there are Wolverine Tyrol hiking book available in Europe.

9. mojoe

mojoe Member

Just ordered the last 10.5 Brown Addison's from Revolve. It's a customer return so hopefully I won't get disappointed like I did with Sportsman's Guide but Revolve said they don't plan on restocking a lot of the 1000 Mile Boots so I had to take the chance.

10. Nykwil

Nykwil Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just picked up a pair of these fantastic boots yesterday, thought I'd post a nice comparison pic with my year old clark's db

Both are the same sized 8. Apparently I'm an 8 no matter what i wear.

Edit: Here's a pic of them on me, which gives a pretty good idea of how they look with a pair of slim jeans

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Can you post some pics of the unlucky briefcase? I really like his stuff.

12. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

But they're apples and oranges...
    I see the modern 1000 Mile as more of a fashion work-boot which is being promoted with the company's work-boot heritage for credibility - so you end up with repro. details with dressier twists, great for denim warriors and the like, but can also look somewhat confused to work-boot enthusiasts.

Alden's boots, on the other hand, are orthopaedic work shoes which have transformed slowly into dressier shoes over decades - their styling and detailing of footwear has had time to grow and mature into what they are now, not to mention the footwear are still being made by the same people, so they naturally would look more refined & "congruent".

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

13. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

bought these wolverine boots a year and a half ago as they were 50% off and in my size so i thought why not - they have since served me well and spontaneously decided to give them some treatment:

BEFORE:
    Worn through alot of rain, alcohol, clubs, to several countries... they have held up fairly well, although the welt and the leather sole were getting quite roughed up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SANDING
    So i decided to get out some moderately rough sandpaper, and took it to the soles... applied some pressure and just worked it till it was fairly even. Then i used a very fine grade sandpaper to give it a really smooth finish.

[​IMG]

FINAL OIL:

I used RM williams leather conditioner (beeswax and lanolin base) on the whole boot which brought back the lustre to the chromexcel. I can never manage to get a real mirror finish o chromexcel, even with a shoe polish - this is the best i'll get. Also used the conditioner on the edge of sole (i don't have sole dressing but this works just as well), and even applied it to the outsole. Gave it a nice finish to the sole edge, and made the base of the sole looks similar to alden's "flex welt" oil sole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Great post AriGold. I like the edge trim, I may have to do something similar.