• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

HAL 9000

Reaction score
How does the Wolverine 1000 Mile compare to the Red Wings Iron Ranger/Gentlemen Traveler? Reason that I ask is because I'm debating on which one to buy. The Wolverines are $100-150 CAD more expensive than the Red Wings. Stores here sell the Iron Rangers for $300, Gentlemen Traveler for $340, and Wolverines for $450. I like the style of the Wolverine, but they're quite pricey. Is it worth the extra $100-150?

Gruntle

Reaction score

Cobbler did a great job. I'll drop my Addisons off next week. A little sno seal and we're ready for the winter.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The half soles look good. How much did your cobbler charge?

Gruntle

Reaction score
I paid 17 EU.

Mercuryman76

Reaction score
I have both the Wolverine Addisons and two pairs of RW GT's. The Wolverine's definitely break in much quicker. The leather is buttery soft right out of the box whereas the RW's take some time to break in and loosen up. But once they do they're a really comfortable boot. I actually wear the RW's much more often for some reason. But they're both great boots. You'll be happy either way you go.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red wing GTs are tougher to break in, that's for sure.

Filipe

Reaction score
I have a sizing question. I wear a size US8 in Palladiums, so should I size down for the 1000 Mile or should I keep the same size?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a true 10.5 and my 9.5s fit fine, but I also didn't have to break them in (got em used).

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think .5 if you have a wide foot (E), 1 for an average foot (D) and maybe even 1.5 for a thin foot (B)/(C). Less if you want to wear insoles (the includes insoles are pretty hard).

I am 11B US, have 10D wolverine's and they fit well with room to move but only with some fairly chunky red wing insoles. Without the insoles, they'd be too big.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hey guys thinking of grabbing a pair in traditional brown. a quick question before I order is would you think it would be better to size down a full or just a half size? Thank you!

I am a 9D on the Brannock and sold my 8's in the B&S because they were too small. Get your foot measured, that is your true size. Size down 1/2 from that. I don't know about the rest of this advice here but some people might be sizing down from sneaker size which is totally wrong. Others might be sizing down from Brannock, IDK. All I know is I wouldn't size down more than 1/2 if you are D width on a brannock. For me, 9D = 8.5 Wolverine. I'm also 8.5D Alden True Balance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads