1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. mistercitizen

mistercitizen Senior member

Those McClean's look great!!

Ben

2. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Don't know whose they are, but someone had some Addisons resoled by Brian the Bootmaker and they look cool.

Not sure how kosher hot-linking from his host is, so I won't, but it's fairly easy to find his latest work in any BtB thread, his instagram, or google.

3. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Everything is kosher until you get a cease and desist.

The below taken from http://instagram.com/brianthebootmaker and I like his line from one post "Bringing quality back to the U.S. one boot at a time."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The more people that know you can resole a decent pair of the boots the better. Everyone should be thinking of their boots in terms of resoling them, at least, a couple of times before binning them.

Find a good cobbler and keep them busy!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Just k0pped the new 1000 Mile Boot in Bison leather that's new for Fall '14. The Bison is somewhat thin so they are leather lined. Here are pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. RetroFuture

RetroFuture Senior member

My McClean's came in today, went with the 8.5, which is my true to size. They are a bit narrow, hugging my feet, but I believe they will break in nicely over time. Quality wise, everything is on point, no blemishes, marks or any other issues. Quite pleased with them. Ready for the Fall.

6. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

Well, that's the opposite of mine, which had an enormous gouge out of the side of them, filled in with brown polish, and a big crack in the welt with a sharp piece of wood sticking out of the boot - this was the boot that had the little note saying it had been personally inspected, hilariously. The other boot only had veiny leather.

Thank goodness for Nordstrom customer service making everything right!

7. clew

clew Active Member

So, the oiled sole on the originals...how's it handle the wet? First pair with this type of sole, they are also recently acquired so no experience yet. Heading to Ireland in 2 weeks and would love to break these in while there...but not if they can't handle the prolonged damp conditions (and my cobbler said he wouldn't be able to make a topy stick very long). Have read oiled soles handle wet better than standard leather soles...what do you guys think? Slipping I guess is another issue? I have more suitable boots with rubber, but new boot syndrome has me wanting to bring em.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  8. rockcrawler

rockcrawler Member

Get a new cobbler.

9. clew

clew Active Member

Yeah, I was planning to tomorrow...have seen posts here with them and mentioned it. He said it was too oily to adhere properly.

10. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Quote: I think he's being honest.

I've had mine topy'ed since october, and I have to re-glue the edges every few weeks. I don't know if it has anything to do with the oily leather, but I can tell you that what does happen when you have such a thin leather sole and then a glued topy is that whenever you kick something or knock something hard with the edge of the sole, the sole deforms a little but the topy does not, and you end up with gaps and it starts to peel away.

I THINK that's why some Alden shoes that feature a rubber half sole have blocks of rubber near the toe between the leather sole and the topy. Just speculation on that, but I can tell you from experience how easily the topy starts to come off the thin leather sole whenever you kick something or knock something.

If you are ok gluing it yourself every week or so, no big deal.

11. mistercitizen

Mine are peeling away a bit. You use contact cement?

Ben

12. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

I have been using some Loctite 444 that is at the shop at my work.

13. mistercitizen

14. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

How's the sole feel after peeling a topy off? Is that glue real shitty to walk on?

15. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

I've not peeled mine off yet, I'll let you know after they peel enough on their own for me to help them off.

16. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Senior member

Have you guys ever used kiwi polish on these boots?

17. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Yes

18. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Senior member

What does it look like? Just curious. Also, my right boot has creased to the point where if hurts the top of my feet. Left one fits perfectly. Is there anything I can do about it or not?

19. Wildling

Wildling Well-Known Member

Please don't blast me too hard for not searching more in this thread.

But are the Wolverine 1000 mile boots sized larger like the Red Wing Heritage Boots? I usually take an 11us but in the Red Wing Heritages I am most definitely a 10.5 with some extra room still.

Wolverine 1000 mile the same way?

20. wj4

wj4 Senior member

It depends on the model. I have some 1K's I bought 2 years ago that are about .5 size bigger while the McCleans I bought last month had a narrower last and fit a bit tighter. Both are in the same size.