1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. vince24L

vince24L Active Member

Need black polish for my black 1K's.
    1. Is a polishing brush necessary for applying black polish?
    2. Is it possible to avoid dying the threading on the sole while applying polish?
    3. Which brand of black polish would be the consensus recommendation? I don't need dress shoe shine. My boots are just really beat up from chemical spills at work.

Thank You.

2. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Have a read of this - http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc

3. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

I would like to get Wolverine 1000 mile Watson and I would like to know if the sole padding inside is as thick as the 1883 Darin. The Darin leather upper is slightly thinner than my 1000 mile boots but they are more comfortable to wear for a long walk.

Showing off my collector's edition suede lined Saddleback Leather small briefcase as well.

[​IMG]

4. Whats Up

Whats Up New Member

Point 2 is a good question, and one I'd like to know the answer to. I haven't polished by 1K black boots yet, but what will the black polish darken the light threads on the upper?

5. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

You need to watch this film.

[​IMG]

6. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

First of all I don't have black boots but out of boredom I did polished my brother's worn out black leather boots.

1. To apply the black polish I use soft polyester cloth (avoid any stitched part of the cloth to avoid scratching of the boots). Make sure you clean the boots first with wet cloths and then apply some leather conditioner before you do this. Leave sometimes for the boots to dry before each application. And don't forget to brush each time using horse hair brush.
    2. It is possible if you don't apply the black polish directly onto the white threads. If you check my cordovan 8 boots on post 6306, I managed to keep most of the goodyear welt white after applying cordovan polish wax.
    3. I used Kiwi brand. Cheap and easy to get.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  7. nevereast

nevereast Senior member

Yeah, you need a brush, and you need to condition/protect the leather, not polish it.

http://cranes-country-store.com/waterproofing-1000-mile-boot/

1.) Yes
    2.) Venetian Shoe Cream
    3.) Dont need black, use venetian shoe cream

8. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

I love my new 1k's. I've worn them about 5 times since I got them and they are perfect. Compliments galore. I used snoseal on them and they still look great even though I've heard it can dry out the leather. Should I do anything to condition them just in case? Snow and rainy seasons are coming to an end and I really only wear them when it's nice out anyway.

9. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

You charge tax to ship to California?

10. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

My shoes after applying Saphir conditioner and medium brown polish wax. The conditioner soften the shoes and surprisingly shine them as well. The polish wax makes the brown colour richer. I also applied the conditioner to my collector's edition SBL small briefcase and get a deep honey colour from it. The photo has not been edited. Btw these are the 1883 collection, Darin.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  11. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

I always apply a light coat of Lexol Leather Dressing and Filson Boot Oil, before using a Sno-Seal like product.

1 person likes this.
  12. cj10

cj10 Active Member

Is it ok to apply kiwi express shine shoe sponge on my wolverine 1000 mile boots after adding a layer of leather conditioner?

13. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

So should I apply those two products and re-snoseal or do I need to do something to pull off any pre-existing snow seal first?

14. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

No need to re-snoseal unless you are going to be seeing a lot of rain. No real way of removing existing snoseal. Just condition, Filson oil alone should be OK.

15. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

I don't believe that kiwi product is the most highly regarded amongst the shoe care community, but it will not instantly destroy your boots. Personally, I wouldn't use it, but feel free to use it and report back on the results.

16. digga

digga Senior member

I wouldn't use the express sponge stuff at all. I used to use it on uniform shoes like ten years ago and from what I remember it is sort of like paint. Not like the wax polish at all.

17. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

[​IMG]

These things look great with some orange!

Decided to brighten up the office today and my 1k's made the cut.

1 person likes this.
  18. cj10

cj10 Active Member

yea u are right i have already done it…lol
    my nest question is when will the shine fade away( I'm not regretting as i can re-oil them after the kiwi fade away….m i right?)

19. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Try re-oiling and using a soft brush, it may help remove the shine.

Regular conditioning is going to be the most important thing you can do for your boots. Invest in a supply of something like Obenaufs, Venetian, Filson, Montana Pitch Blend, etc. Some folks will just condition and buff with a soft brush, not polishing their boots at all. It sounds as if you have oil, so you are likely set on this front, try just buffing and see how you like the finish.

There really is no shortcut to getting a good polished finish to your boots, it will involve a thin applications of polish, a brush and some elbow grease. A simple tin of Kiwi paste polish - see below - and a brush will be good enough for getting an occasional shine. You can get fancier polish - Saphir, Meltonian, etc - but kiwi will do and it is pretty much available everywhere.

[​IMG]

20. zargoz

zargoz Senior member

Worked at home this afternoon and had some time to give my 744 LTDs a little love via VSC and the ol' shoe brush.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.