• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

YES! Just got my Rust W1K's from Crane's today! :slayer:

These are my first pair of badass boots, so here comes my one and only noob question after going through this thread.

I know all about Crane's method and which products to use (bought Obenauf's LP, Oil and Cleaner).

BUT, is it necessary to oil and LP them right out of the box?? I want to wear and show them off right now lol.

Thanks again for hookin it up Crane!

Not a problem and thanks.

I always say mitigation is the best way to go. A light application of conditioner is never a bad thing to do before you wear them. You never know what you might step in or end up having spilled on them at the bar or club. If nothing else it also helps keep the indigo from sticking to the leather too if that's a concern.

twocoloreyes

Reaction score
havent checked on this thread in a long time, but just wondering if anyone has heard about any new limited editions coming this year or next?

ben2t

Reaction score
yeah, how did you do that? very nice shine.

Last edited:

michaeljohnr

Reaction score
I just got back from trying on the 1000 Mile boots with proper socks. Last week, I had only thin ankle socks on. Not a good measure for fit.

It turns out I am a size 9.5 in these versus my normal 10.5 shoe size in everything else.

I thought it not possible, but the fit did not lie.

I tried on the size 10, going the recommended half size down, but you could see where the ball of my foot was during a step and it was way too far back in the boot. There was a good 2 inches of boot in front of that.

Put on the 9.5 and what a difference! The ball of my foot was right where it should have been, not too tight around the ankle, and good room in the toe box.

Who knew? The moral is to try these on before purchasing. I would have purchased the 10's and sent them back if I went with the standard half size down.

Now the only choice I have is color. That's proving to be a tough one. Brown, Rust or Cordovan No. 8.

Favoring Cordovan I think.

Last edited:

Mr M

Reaction score
Burgundy, cordovan or rust for me. They are Superman's boots.

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still going through the pics...

Ok, I'm going to recap with the abridged version...

STEP 1: CLEAN/CONDITION
Wipe down boots with a damp rag to remove dirt/dust. Condition. Brush.

STEP 2: *WAX BASE LAYER
This is the "military shine" procedure of applying wax and melting it down with a lighter. It can be argued it's bad for the boots; ya well, I also oven-baked these boots to apply SnoSeal. I ain't timid. Apply a healthy amount of Kiwi on the toe then go over it with a lighter until the wax goes from matte to glossy. Stop if you smell burning leather.

* Chromexcel and Dublin don't take a shine easily, in my experience. Melting down wax in this method creates a nice base layer from which to build up a shine from. Alternatively, you could use a hair-dryer or heat-gun, which would probably be a bit safer.

STEP 3: POLISH
Polish the shoes like you'd polish a car: apply small amounts of product in small circles. When the surface gets tacky, add a drop of water (I use my pinky) and continue to polish. Repeat until there are no swirls, and then you're ready for another layer. Repeat as desired.

Pecan89

Reaction score
Not a big fan of brown. After regular wear and conditioning the tans are going to darken and be close to where browns start anyway. Just really seems like where the other colors develop into something better than out of the box the browns just stay brown

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...which, if you want brown boots, is kind of ideal.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang Mario. You know, I'm wondering if you can get the whole boot to shine like the toe boxes. LOL! If you want to add a bit more content to your method and then pm it to me that would be great. I'll swipe the images off your posts and I'll get it up on the site. I need to get back to that. Milw has a few things wrote up to.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Dang Mario. You know, I'm wondering if you can get the whole boot to shine like the toe boxes. LOL! If you want to add a bit more content to your method and then pm it to me that would be great. I'll swipe the images off your posts and I'll get it up on the site. I need to get back to that. Milw has a few things wrote up to.

It's definitely possible to get the whole boot to shine like the toe box, but that would only work as a display. Once the leather flexes, that high shine will disappear as the wax cracks away. I believe that's why that high shine is usually reserved for the toe box.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads