• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Mr M

Reaction score
Ok, according to this http://www.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/Attachment/content/size_and_fit_guide.pdf
I have 10.5D
uhoh.gif
And I'm totally confused now.

I have Red Wing Iron Ranger size 9D and they fit perfectly!
http://www.styleforum.net/t/79930/red-wing-iron-ranger-boots-whats-the-dilly-yo/270#post_5069694

WTF?
devil.gif
I found this page. I hope it helps a little. Looks like the size between the two is the same.

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion...review_red_wing_iron_ranger_red_wing_beckman/

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/119569-bootsshoes-sizing-advice/

Last edited:

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, according to this http://www.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/Attachment/content/size_and_fit_guide.pdf
I have 10.5D :uhoh:  And I'm totally confused now.

I have Red Wing Iron Ranger size 9D and they fit perfectly!
http://www.styleforum.net/t/79930/red-wing-iron-ranger-boots-whats-the-dilly-yo/270#post_5069694

WTF? :devil:  

Those kind of sizing charts are *not* appropriate for any kind of use, I don't honestly know why they provide it. For a proper fit, you want to be sized to where the first joint of your toe matches the flex point of the shoe. Charts like AE use are kind of an average foot kind of thing. As a personal example, my toes are very long. The joint of my toes is much farther back compared to someone else whose foot is the same length.

sklark23

Reaction score
Pine tar is not good for leather.

If you tell me that pouring motor oil, naptha and kerosene on your boots and lighting them on fire is good for them then you better have something to show me to prove it. Otherwise I'm not listening.

What basis do you have to say that pine pitch is not good for leather? Honestly curious here.

Most of the heavier oils do have beeswax in them as a component. It's a leather lubricant and gives the leather some hydrophobic properties as well. If I remember right beeswax also has antbacterial and antifungal properties so it helps keep the leather from rotting.

Chances are that it is bee propolis and not wax

CR78

Reaction score
Are 1000 Mile factory seconds marked in a certain way that makes them distinguishable?

cincikid

Reaction score
Are 1000 Mile factory seconds marked in a certain way that makes them distinguishable?
There's usually a small mark on the outsole, close to the heel.

This obviously only applies to the Wolverines made by AE. I am not sure about their other models.

Last edited:

cincikid

Reaction score
One more stupid question about how does they fit
shog[1].gif

My feet is 280mm long, it's 11 inches.
As I understand it is US10 size, right?
Is it true I need to order US9 size boots to get correct fit?

Maybe there is someone with same feet size as my?
What size of 1000 Mile Boot do you wear?
I'm asking because I'm in Russia and there is no way to find them in local stores at my city.
I want to buy them online, but it's hard to choose correct size :(
What size should I buy?
There's nothing wrong in asking this kind of questions here. What's your European size?
If this helps, I am about EU43 (US 9.5), and I find 9.5 in 721 and 744 to be a good fit. This said, I could have also done US 10 if you intend to wear them with a heavier sock.

Added: If your feet are 11 inches, your size would be about 10.5. I just checked and I am 10" which translates to US 9.5 or 10 (depending on the shoe last).

Last edited:

CR78

Reaction score

There's usually a small mark on the outsole, close to the heel. This obviously only applies to the Wolverines made by AE. I am not sure about their other models.
I just bought a pair of Emersons from an ebay seller, and I'm pretty sure they must be seconds from an abnormality in the moc toe stitching on one of the boots. I can't seem to find anything on the box or the boots that suggests that they were marked seconds though...

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of Emersons from an ebay seller, and I'm pretty sure they must be seconds from an abnormality in the moc toe stitching on one of the boots. I can't seem to find anything on the box or the boots that suggests that they were marked seconds though...

Return them, then. Even if the seller has a no-return policy, you can dispute it as item received not as advertised, and ebay will side with the buyer. You'll be out $15 for shipping vs. being unsatisfied.

Meezus

Reaction score
So does anyone use Obenauf's LP or Sno Seal on the leather sole too? Or just the upper?

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So does anyone use Obenauf's LP or Sno Seal on the leather sole too?  Or just the upper?

Do that if you like to skate without skates. Seriously, any wet shiny floor surface and you run the risk of going arse over tit

Meezus

Reaction score
Do that if you like to skate without skates. Seriously, any wet shiny floor surface and you run the risk of going arse over tit
Although that does sound fun, it might get tiring. The protectant will actually worsen the already not great traction of leather huh.
So I don't need to worry about water/snow/salt ruining the leather sole?

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Although that does sound fun, it might get tiring.  The protectant will actually worsen the already not great traction of leather huh.  
So I don't need to worry about water/snow/salt ruining the leather sole?

Well, prolonged exposure especially to salt, will take a toll but ime they'll survive. Oil the sole and you might not!

mg2380

Reaction score
Although that does sound fun, it might get tiring. The protectant will actually worsen the already not great traction of leather huh.
So I don't need to worry about water/snow/salt ruining the leather sole?
Spend $25 and get a Vibram half-sole put on. Bam! Sole protected!

Willin

Reaction score

Those kind of sizing charts are *not* appropriate for any kind of use, I don't honestly know why they provide it. For a proper fit, you want to be sized to where the first joint of your toe matches the flex point of the shoe. Charts like AE use are kind of an average foot kind of thing. As a personal example, my toes are very long. The joint of my toes is much farther back compared to someone else whose foot is the same length.

I measure a size 9 on the AE shoe fitting thing-a-ma-jig. I wear size 7.5EEE AE's and they are very comfortable. I couldn't imagine wearing a larger shoe. In face, most of my shoes are size 8 and anything bigger feels very uncomfortable. I think there's a lot that goes into a proper fit for each individual.

cthip

Reaction score

So does anyone use Obenauf's LP or Sno Seal on the leather sole too?  Or just the upper?

I always assumed that Sno Seal would make my soles slipperier. Tried it this winter anyway, and much to my surprise traction has greatly improved!

No experience with Obenauf's, but anybody who's used SnoSeal before knows that it's actually quite sticky-tacky rather than greasy-slippery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads