• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

cthip

Reaction score

Snoseal does have a distinct odor. It doesn't bother me one way or the other. Dust sticking to the boots is normal after oiling them or waterproofing them. I think part of the problem is some are over treating them. Last year I treated my boots with oil then a week later with a light snoseal job. I wore them every single day for almost 8 months without treating them again. They didn't need it. I think some people are making the mistake of using too much oil/snoseal along with treating them far to often as well. Yes you can overdue it. It's not as bad as letting them go dry but rest assured more is not better. One of the simplest ways to deal with the whole residue grime thing is to wipe them down with some lexol cleaner every once and make it a point to brush them at the end of each day. Nothing ridiculous just a quick once over lightly.

Thanks for clarifying. You're right I've definitely been using less SnoSeal since I've started reading your posts and the situation has improved. And yea, wiping or brushing the dust off is really not a big deal.

Do you guys use shoe trees for your wolverines?  I just got a pair in rust.  I use them mostly in a dress manner, not likely to go hiking with them.

I used shoe trees for awhile when they were new, but it was sort of a hassle to squeeze the shoe trees in there everyday so I stopped. Haven't used shoe trees in about two years and the shape of my boots is just fine. Then again, these are my rain/snow/mud boots.

I do throw in some cheap cedar satchels or cedar marbles after wearing my boots. They do nothing for the shape of the boots but help to manage odor and moisture. Works for me!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One other thing. Anything with pine tar in it will leave the leather sticky and turn it into a dirt magnet. I treated my boots once with boot oil with pine tar in it. That'll never happen again.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, at this point the residue isn't a thick gunk or anything. It's just a light veneer, so that if if I rub my finger on the leather, I see a streak (which doesn't happen with my other shells). They will shine up well enough with a light brushing, but they are dust magnets and get super dull super quickly. I'm not really worried about it. When I hair dry them, I still see the veneer get wet and then get slurped in. If I do it the next day, the stuff is on the surface again to get slurped in again.

Anyway, I think that just another season of wearing without treatment will probably get a lot of that stuff gone, and I'll keep wiping and hairdrying them until I'm back to the base shell, which I'm pretty close to, really.

GodDamnHipsters

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to the leather boots or just leather in general. I've ordered a pair of Rockfords from FS Fashion and noticed some cracking at the toe. Is this normal or a defect? Not sure whether or not to keep them or to send them back.

Mr M

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to the leather boots or just leather in general. I've ordered a pair of Rockfords from FS Fashion and noticed some cracking at the toe. Is this normal or a defect? Not sure whether or not to keep them or to send them back.

gnu

Reaction score
Question about cleaning my boots, I use obenauf leather cleaner and follow with the lp. After I use the hair dryer to let it soak in I tried to brush them up. I notice every time I do this, I've noticed that the toes turn black and it looks like some grime builds up where I'm brushing. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, any ideas?

Thanks.

cinnabar

Reaction score
Question about cleaning my boots, I use obenauf leather cleaner and follow with the lp. After I use the hair dryer to let it soak in I tried to brush them up. I notice every time I do this, I've noticed that the toes turn black and it looks like some grime builds up where I'm brushing. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, any ideas?

Thanks.

Give it more time to absorb. I suggest putting them in a trash bag and let it sit in the sun for a day. I read that on Obenauf's site IIRC and it works great.

loug

Reaction score
Had that happen to a pair of 10" boots once. Altama replaced them but there was about 10 nails in the center of the heals and just don't seem to use them much now. Only for cutting the grass.

loug

Reaction score
Have a pair of black 1000 Milers for a year and still trying to get up to breaking them in. Both bite the top of my big toe and cause a pretty good blister. Sure can't wait until they break in. Any ideas how to correct this flex down onto the toes?

chimaki

Reaction score
Have a pair of black 1000 Milers for a year and still trying to get up to breaking them in. Both bite the top of my big toe and cause a pretty good blister. Sure can't wait until they break in. Any ideas how to correct this flex down onto the toes?

your boots are the wrong size. if you have issues with length and "flex" on your big toe, your boots are way too small. so long as you're not wearing super thick socks, you need to size up.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I'm not mistaken, this is the leather cracking from to much pressure during the lasting of the shoe; same things happens to a shell cordovan shoe around 10:35 in this video. I would send them back.

loug

Reaction score
@Chimaki: Don't think so. Boots seem to be a little long but okay. The rubbing is on top of the foot not at the tip of the toes. Most of my shoes flex like this but these are the only ones that pinch or what ever you want to call it. Probably will stop once they're broken in. Maybe the three mile walk to work was a little too much. Band-aids and Neosporin for now. Planning on using the band-aids as a protection until these break in.

Think the laces were too tight. Went for a mile and a half walk today with looser laces and seems like the rubbing/pinching has stopped. Read somewhere that if the top of the foot is painful the laces are too tight. Stacked senior moments don't help either.

Last edited:

allday

Reaction score
Hi, new here but I'm still having trouble deciding on a size for my 1k mile boots after trying them on in store and reading over 200 pages on this thread. My question is: Has anyone come to a conclusion on on the 1 full size vs 1/2 a size down on these boots? I'm wearing medium cushion socks and just ordered some hiking wool socks from Costco. I'm normally a size 9 in palladium boots and chucks and size 9.5 in vans/nike/ various athletic shoes.

I originally bought a size 9 and they were way too loose with plenty of toe space and heel slippage so I went to the store and tried on a 8.5 which had no heel slippage but still had lots of toe room. I then tried on a size 8 which was very snug and lightly squeezed the sides of my foot and the vamp/instep but I still have enough toe room but not enough to wiggle freely like I did on the 8.5, the 8's fit more like a basketball shoe. I feel as if the boot would be perfect in-between 8 and 8.5 but that doesn't exist. I'm wondering if a break in would make a difference with the size 8's, I really like the way my Palladium boots fit so I'm trying to aim in that direction if possible.

So those of you who have had these boots for a while what do you recommend for someone who will be wearing these as an everyday boot?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads