1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Then would this be considered bad as well[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

every year there's a blowup like this on SF. 1K's are yesteryear people. jump on the Viberg wagon and move on up.

3. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I don't consider either bad, to be honest. Neither bug me. Opinions vary.

I guess my point was that Alden's are a tier up from Wolverine and still exhibit similar "bad" creasing on firsts-quality.

1 person likes this.
  4. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

CXL jacket:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Didn't think of it, but this is probably horsehide CXL.

At any rate...

Moratorium on #creastalk?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Clearly not horsehide. Bull penis.

6. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I find it rather interesting that there are only two places where this wrinkled CXL situation is being discussed as being inferior. Good old SF and on Reddit. The interesting part is it seems most of the naysaying on Reddit is coming from a couple or few people who supposedly work with leather and much of the talk sounds oh so familiar.

Sounds a lot like brand bashing to me by a competitor but that would never happen here on SF now would it?

7. loug

loug Well-Known Member

nothing worse than wrinkled udders though

1 person likes this.
  8. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

I would be interested in learning what I'm supposedly competing with you in.

Sounds like you're the one who stands to gain by telling people this is normal, as you're the one who sells shoes with the issue. However, I had assumed you were above that sort of behaviour. Now we've just descended into mudslinging.

9. clintfisher

clintfisher Member

10. puppy3

puppy3 Member

what kind of insole do you guys recommend?

11. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

12. clintfisher

clintfisher Member

13. nevereast

nevereast Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Let's see. Alden, AE, OSB, 1Ks have all been listed with this supposed inferior leather issue. The comments all come from the same small handful of people. There's been responses by a few of the companies that pretty much say this is something that this leather does and is known to do with some frequency. Of course after much bashing online and I would imagine in emails or by phone the manufacturing companies just cave and tell people to send them back. Hmmm that sounds familiar.

What name do you go by on Reddit anrobit?

Where's your proof that the leather that wrinkles is inferior?

I had a guy who makes high end show saddles and other leather goods look at this thread and the photos from smith and he pretty much said so what, that's what leather does and some are worse than others in that regard. He also says short of destroying the boot and actually testing the leather there is no way on Earth anyone can say the leather is inferior, defective or pretty much anything else from a photo. He also went on and said he could make a piece of just about any full grain leather wrinkle by just folding it over for a while and then bending it back the other way. What he said about some of the supposed knowledge of leather that a few have spewed here recently is basically horseshit. So unless you're making saddles that cost more than a decent car or have restored fine leather goods for 35 or 40 years why would I take anything you have to say as being factual? You can't even come up with a single example of a CXL boot that's cracked or failed because of wrinkled leather.

It all boils down to this. If you can't handle what CXL might do when it's on your foot then a CXL boot may not be for you. It's that simple.

1 person likes this.
  15. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Because when you can't win an argument, accuse the people who disagree with you of slander and industrial sabotage. I am not directly affiliated with anyone making or selling leather goods. I do some proxying of my own, but I'm not especially picky in what I proxy. If you really want to know my reddit name, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out, or you can PM me and ask.

If you would like to know, I have seen Rancourt shoes (who make many handsewns), Highland shoes (who makes OSB and many more), AE shoes, Alden shoes, Wolverine shoes, Chippewa shoes, Thorogood shoes, and multiple others with bad clicking. Did I miss anyone? I'm sure I've seen it, I've seen many shoes. However, those examples are exceptions. Fewer than 10% of the shoes I have seen have these issues. This indicates that they are not normal or acceptable.

There's a difference between folding it over for a while and regular wear. Even so, some leather will wrinkle immediately, and some will do it only after prolonged periodsI, too, have talked to people who are more knowledgeable about leather than me. Where do you think some of the knowledge comes from? By learning from those who know more than me.

It doesn't boil down to anything. You don't have to be satisfied with a bad piece of CXL if you want a CXL boot, just like you don't have to be satisfied with bad clicking in any material.

1 person likes this.
  16. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

17. loug

loug Well-Known Member

in 1K's using thin, original style Dr. Scholls

18. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Alright so this is considered normal for excel... Sorry to jump in but the photo posted before mine showing the natural excel made me question it.

19. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

LOL! This is just too funny. A full 10 percent of your sampling has this supposed issue and it's the clickers fault that this number is so high. Show me the lab analysis of the leather that supports your claim of inferior leather. Show me one example of where this issue has lead to a structural failure that you claim will happen. So far it's hearsay and nothing more. 10 percent tells me that this supposed anomaly is actually a characteristic of the material. If the anomaly was measured at .01 percent then you might have a case to make an inferior material claim. Of course that claim has to be based on an actual scientific analysis of the structure which is not visible from the surface no matter what you say.

I wouldn't know a thing about manufacturing. Never mind that I set up a few ISO 9001 QC departments or that my education has something to do with manufacturing technologies.

In the whole wide world you are among a miniscule portion of the population at large that says it's inferior leather. In fact the number you represent is so small that getting hit by a meteor on any given day makes more sense.

20. Teger

Teger Senior member

Why do you keep latching on to 'inferior leather' from a durability perspective? These are fashion boots. Ultra-creased leather looks ugly as shit. Cosmetically ugly.

1 person likes this.