1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

2. loug

loug Well-Known Member

why? i can't wait to get the email announcing new posts. but them i'm just a troll lol

3. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Reaction to reading this thread:

[​IMG]

Why are people expecting small amount of creasing in a work boot made out of heavily oiled calf leather? These shoes are supposed to look well worn IMO, they are like Converse; new ones makes you look like a sissy.

1 person likes this.
  4. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Not to start anything but return the shoes to crane. While I am sure you want the boots the customer service is not up to par. Go with nordstroms who will price match anything and you can get the boots for 213.00 to 240.00 depending. There customer service is top notch. I agree that brand new shoes should not have a crease but for you to continue to got back and forth with crane is like beating a dead horse . I have come to find that there are issue with most manufactures and even some places that sell these brands. Don't get upset or bothered he is offering you a refund, which is great. So take that and move on. I would gladly pay more for better customer service.

5. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

I don't think this thread is fucked but people have different expectations and tolerate different things for the dollar they spend. When I order a pair of shoes I call and ask if defects or creases are present. If so I don't by them, my foot is different from everyone else's so I want a crease free shoe/boot so the item conforms to my foot.

6. themonster

themonster Well-Known Member

Not to stir the pot, but they shouldn't be sold as new boots. If your foot joints doesn't exactly match up to the existing crease, it is going to look worse as you break them in.

7. loug

loug Well-Known Member

like its been said many times, these are work boots. if you want a nice glossy, no crease pair of boots or shoes get some dress boots or shoes.

1 person likes this.
  8. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

+1.

Interested to see how the 'crease' has become after he wore them a night out in town as well.

9. smith899

smith899 Member

When I first got them there were two minor creases at the top of the boot. Here is the image:
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture after wearing them once for around 4 hours:
    [​IMG]

The crease has moved around both sides of the boot all the way to the sole.

On the other hand, here is the right boot after wearing it for 4 hours.

[​IMG]

Nothing major at all. Just a standard folded crease you get from wear.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  10. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Based on the pictures as well as what had transpired in this threak, my recommendation echoes a few other SF'rs: Send it back to Crane and get your refund. If you are still interested in getting a pair of W1K, order it else where. After that, move on.

Good luck.

11. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I think this line sums up the creasing on both boots. Chromexcel can have tendencies of wrinkling in a similar manner, and yours are definitely not as creased as the ones you mentioned. If you don't like them, send them back, because Crane's has extended a generous return offer. If you buy chromexcel boots, especially plain-toes, and spend no more than the price of 1000-mile boots, this issue may crop up again. It's not unusual, and it's not as grand of a tragedy as you're making it out to be.

2 people like this.
  12. red81

red81 Senior member

spot on.

while it's not a year's salary, the amount of money spent on them should bring with it a 100% satisfaction (100 percent being a reasonable expectation of a leather boot).
    if not satisified, and the seller's offered a return, i would take him up on it.

i've kept over 95% of the things i've bought lately, but the things i'm not satisfied with, i return, i don't just sit there and mope about it, especially if the seller's told me i have an option of doing so.

i'm not sure what the problem is. we get it, the boots didn't work out. can we have them returned so this thread and the rest of us can move on?

2 people like this.
  13. Pecan89

Pecan89 Well-Known Member

Morley's are def a tough as shit pair of boots. Kicked around in them all weekend many drinks, much walking, boots good. Need to put a half sole on my originals just so much nicer walking on coblestone and shit with a little more traction

14. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I should have my Lathams tomorrow. I haven't had a desert boot in a while and it'll be a welcome change of pace for me.

15. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

All boots crease and they look damn good with them, like Crane's pair. I think smith899's confusing everyone by calling it creasing when he's actually talking about the wrinkly veiny appearance which is usually the result of a poorer quality hide selected by the clicker. I've seen this happen with other boot brands as well and usually they're pretty good about replacing them. I'm willing to bet the wrinkly leather is noticeably thinner and flimsier in that area, right smith899?

Good lookin' creasing on the toe box:
    [​IMG]
    vs.
    Ugly veiny wrinkling:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Leather

Leather Senior member

Why does the veiny creasing mean the leather is of bad quality? Hopefully a leather expert can chime in here.

For me, I think the veiny creasing looks pretty badass and I'd be okay with it only if both pairs were like that. If the leather on both shoes were different, then that'd be kind of frustrating.

17. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

It's a sign of poor adhesion within the leather and is significantly more prone to cracking.

Some people don't believe that wrinkling is a sign of poor quality, but there is a reason why this problem becomes less and less frequent as you move up in price range.

18. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

This thread on SF will answer your question and more: http://www.styleforum.net/t/354137/leather-quality-and-properties
    Scroll down a bit to where it talks about separation within the leather causing wrinkles.

19. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Says......Leather.

1 person likes this.
  20. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

LOL! So now the leather "experts" are able to tell if it's veins, stretchmarks, loose grain, how thick the leather is, and blah blah blah on nothing more than a photo. ROFLMAO!