1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Just a quick addition, there are many of us who use Lexol Conditioner for the conditioning stage. It's cheaper than any of the other four options and extremely easy to come by locally.

2. nevereast

nevereast Senior member

Sticky this at the top of every new page pls

Nice boots.

3. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Yup, look just like mine did when new:

[​IMG]

4. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

Just updated my post to add this.

5. nevereast

nevereast Senior member

Huh. I guess I'm thrown off by the darker looking laces as well as contrast between the upper and the sole. My rusts had the same color sole and upper [​IMG]

6. nevereast

nevereast Senior member

Rusts vs Browns...

7. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

When I bought my boots I went up half a size in order to use a cushy insole. I'm starting to think that an unintended consequence of this was a bigger wrinkle at the toe box.... Anyone else have this issue?

8. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I got a great idea. Why don't you test your hypothesis by buying the correct size and wearing them for the same amount of time as your old boots. When you're done you could take measurements and then provide us with a detailed scientific analysis of your findings. I mean really, what kind of question is this?

9. BostonHedonist

This is post four thousand six hundred eighty-nine in a thread about one make of boots. I wasn't aware that any question could be inappropriate at this point...

4 people like this.
  10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yes and don't forget it's nearly four years old and has well over 1 million views. It's the single best source for information on these boots on the net. As far as an inappropriate question is concerned I don't think it's that. In the top five dumbest yes. I would put it at number two behind do I leave the leather thingie in the laces and wear them question. In any case your question has been answered have fun with your experiment.

11. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I wouldn't expect Nick to know anymore about leather shoe care than I would expect Bill Ford, Jr. knows about how to service a Mustang; they're legacy management. Shit, according to this, Nick had aspirations to be a chef, not a tanner.

Now who I do trust is someone that's been making and caring for shoes for decades... taken straight from the Shoe Care thread:

12. thams

thams Senior member

I guess... Something tells me that if you were on a tour of the factory with Nick Horween and he offered leather care advice you wouldn't correct him... If you feel like you can discount the advice of a leather tanner (even though he wanted to be a chef), then anything I say won't make a difference.

As a side note, this tread has gotten pretty vindictive of late. What ever happened to entertaining people's questions in a constructive and polite way? While this tread has a lot of good info in it, it also seems strangely possessive...

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I've read tons of what DWFII has written. He knows what he's talking about.

While we're on the subject. The reason why Mink Oil and Neatsfoot Oil rots has little to do with the oils themselves. What happens is the oils get contaminated with salts and other things and begins to break down. Once that happens bacteria and fungus have a food source. Basically the oil begins to rot. Since the leather and thread are basically soaked with the stuff the bacterial/fungal invasion then attacks the leather itself. Some of these bacteria and fungus produce chemicals that attack and then break down the stitching. Don't believe me. Google up mildew and leather, leather dry rot, leather wet rot, leather mold and things along those lines and see for yourself. It can happen with any conditioner but it seems animal fats are more responsible for this than blends of plant oils/derivatives. It's even better if the product contains beeswax/propolis. These compounds are known to be anti fungal/bacterial.

Oh and Neo, I know why your leather jacket has that white residue on it after it's been stored. I'm surprised you didn't find the answer in your latest google fu episode.

14. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Quote:
    Wow, rudest response I've read so far. I think you owe an apology, before someone decides it's ok to be rude to you.

Seems like wondering if the toe creasing is more drastic on a boot that's not sized down is not such a silly question to me.

No more silly than the other pointless, but fun, discussions in these 300+ pages about shoes.

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Plenty of people have decided to be rude with me before so I'm not overly concerned about that. If the question isn't silly then go buy a pair that's a half size larger and run the experiment I outlined. It's a silly question because well it is. Oh and if it's so silly and pointless then why are you here? Oh yeah, I forgot, you're the new boot care guru. Carry on. LOL!

16. thams

thams Senior member

I don't think anyone was suggesting to run an "experiment" by buying an extra pair of boots to see how they fit. It's a weird attitude to have to be rude to people just because someone's been rude to you in the past (especially if you're rude to someone who wasn't rude to you first). Seems to me if you want to be an ambassador to the brand, then politeness will win points.

17. BostonHedonist

I'll remind you all that a few hundred pages back there was some discussion on going a half size up when between sizes and using an insole for added arch support and cushioning - reasoning that seems rather sound. Maybe this is heresy to the all-knowing, all-profiting lord of the thread. But I find it a legitimate concern and one that has not yet been raised - which is more than I can say for a majority of what's posted here.

18. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

The problem I see is that adding an insole does not compensate for length. If there were some way to get a boot that was only taller, to accommodate the insole without extending the heel-ball distance, I could see it being a reasonable concept. As it stands, I think it's a troubled concept, and I don't think it would be reasonable to adjust width either. In the end, the insole also raises your heel beyond the expected height, as dictated by the cup. Combine a larger shoe with a raised heel, and I think you have a recipe for a sloppy fit with almost guaranteed heel slip, even if you tightened the laces enough to cut off circulation.

As far as the debate of what's polite or impolite, I will make no comment.

19. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Hey, no need to piss all over this post, nobody is questioning your expertise when it comes to Wolverine 1000 mile boots. After all, you've worn them in mud and cleaned them up, and you sell them.

And yes, these discussions are pointless and silly, but, as I said, FUN.

Discussing which shoe products will rot the stitching on your boots or which boot oils will break the leather down and which ones will make them last decades is kind of like arguing whether conventional or synthetic oil will make your car last longer. Nobody has a car that they ran for so many miles that they can contribute mechanical failure to wear due to one kind of oil and not the other. And nobody on this forum will ever wear the leather out of their W1K boots, or see the stitching rot because they used a neatsfoot compound or venetian shoe cream instead of pure neatsfeet oil or pine pitch or whatever treatment.

But again, if someone has a pair of boots that they wore for so long that the stitches up and rotted out, and they can convince me that it happened because of the leather treatment they chose, I would love to learn about it.

It's interesting.

And it's all a fun academic debate.

One which doesn't call for being rude to some dude who got a pair of these boots and wanted to talk about whatever his experiences were.

And that's about all I have to say about that.

20. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

So let me get this straight. You're in between sizes and your using an insole. For snicks let's say your correct Brannock measurement was 9 1/4 so you went with a 9.5 or did you go an additional half size up?