1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. newbie91

newbie91 Member

already emailed! thank you. But i guess they will take some time to answer :)

2. newbie91

newbie91 Member

yes i do! hmm but how does using shoes or not create this occurrence?

3. newbie91

newbie91 Member

Agreed! i have some indigo bleeding from the raw denim to the boot. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? (but actually find the indigo bleed quite aesthetically pleasant). Just curious to know!

4. striker

striker Senior member

Very interested to hear what Wolverine or Horween have to say. Please update here. I contacted them via the online form but they have ignored my message.

I still can't get rid of the bumps.

5. jmaudi0

jmaudi0 Senior member

just a conditioner as far as i understand. it does shine up nicely with a horsehair brush surprisingly.

Cranes, question for you:

I have some Obenauf's LP being delivered today that I am going to apply to an old pair of Wallabies that I use for walking the dog and also to the leather on a pair of Bean Boots. Is it ok to use the same horsehair brush that I use on my Natty CXL Trench Boots with Venetian shoe cream only or will the LP leave a residue on the brush?

6. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

In certain types of leather, those bumps can be caused by moisture buildup inside the shoe. Those are basically like air pocket where the moisture is trying to escape from the leather.

7. newbie91

newbie91 Member

wow, there are quite a few different explanations for the bumps. dry rot, bacteria/fungi, moisture etc. i'll just wait and see what wolverine's reply will be. I really appreciate your help! thank you!

8. nevereast

nevereast Senior member

I guess i don't see why "overkill" is. Bad thing, unless the product is detrimental to the health of the leather, it changes the appearance enough to bother the owner, or the finish is slightly more/ less shiny than desired.

I have been very happy with the obenaufs LP and if it's "overkill" with effectively no downside, why not use it? It's not like its expensive.

On top of that? If someone spills beer on your shoes or something, I don't think neatsfoot is going to repel the liquid or prevent stains as well as bees wax.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  9. nevereast

nevereast Senior member

Depending on how much LP is in the boot when you use it, there can be residue on the brush.

If you use the brush to spread the LP around to get it in groves and stitches, it could be a decent amount.

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

The brush will end up with residue on it. I personally wouldn't worry about.

Neatsfoot oil is an animal fat. Animal fats can rot. It does keep leather supple, it can also eat the stitching as well. This has all been talked about and hashed over. After four years there's a reason why there's a preferred go to product list. While we're on the subject can someone come up with a list of ingredients in Venetian Shoe Cream?

Keeping Indigo stains to a minimum has also been discussed. Once stained it is almost impossible to remove and that's because of how Indigo bonds to a surface. That too was explained in detail.

tmchow, they're your boots. Do whatever you want to them. My problem with what you're saying is based on the fact that you have no real experience with caring for full grain leather and your advice is not based on any personal experience.

1 person likes this.
  11. striker

striker Senior member

I just received a reply from Wolverine but I am no longer in the States. They said to send the shoes back for inspection but I feel it wouldn't make economical sense for me to send them halfway round the globe for this. It will probably end up as my shit-kicking boots in any case. However, I am still curious about the bumps and how to get rid of it.

Let me know how yours turn out.

12. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

Let's be clear: I'm not giving advice, I was quoting from Nick Horween's advice that was quoted on reddit and asking a question based on that. I don't think I need first hand experience caring for leather to quote from someone who has and ask a question right? :)

As for obenauf's or sno-seal being "overkill", the Reddit post just meant "unnecesssary". I think the comment about stain repellant is a good one though.

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers by my questions. It was truly just curiosity.

Can anyone help go v e me advice on how to treat rtf he leather on my Montgomery? Seems like saddle soap won't clean the indigo dye based on crane's reply. But what about condutioning and protecting with boot oil and HDLP? Is that ok despite the Montgomery leather o have being f2f distressed/treated in some way?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  13. nevereast

nevereast Senior member

I have been thinking about your boots but I am always hesitant to put a waxy substance on distressed leather.

Last time I had some distressed leather in my hands I thought I could wax it. I chickened out though

14. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Nick@Horween advised strongly against Lexol on Shell Cordovan, giving no explanation, while many others, including myself, have had good luck with Lexol on shell.

As far as I'm concerned, Nick@Horween's advice is baseless.

The proof is in the pudding; Crane's has well documented his exploits and care regime, and his boots look great and are holding up. It's also a simple an inexpensive treatment. I see little reason to deviate or experiment other than personal curiosity.

15. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Nick's advice makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. 99% of his customers see CXL and shell as dress leathers, and they want patina and beauty, and worry about ruining that beauty. Most people barely leave the house with their expensive CXL/shell shoes, let alone walk through mud or whatever in them.

If he suggests care techniques that might change the color/look of his leathers, well, he's going to get a lot of complaints. So he gives advice that is better than nothing, advice that won't "ruin" the leather in the viewpoint of his customers. And for the rest of us, well, we have this thread, where alone on the internet we treat our CXL and shell cordovans in the traditional sense.

16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

fwiw, shell was never meant to be a "dress" leather. It's durability made it a great workboot leather though. But it creases easily. If you want something dressy, imo, it's generally best to stick with calf.

1 person likes this.
  17. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Yeah but most of his customers see it as a dress leather anyway. And it sure is pretty as one.

18. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

I'm looking at the tan addisons and wondering how they'll hold up against indigo bleed, which I assume would not be well.... Any experience?

19. thams

thams Senior member

I think it's a bit of a stretch to call Nick Horween's advice baseless... Clearly he has a lot of experience with all kinds of leathers and I would eagerly soak up his advice any day of the week.

Much of his treatment suggestions (as noted earlier) revolve around preserving the leather's color and texture. I read in an interview with Nick where he recommends venetian shoe cream as a conditioner. He said that shell is so impregnated with oils that there's not a whole lot more they need other than a good brushing.

Obviously if you're wading in knee-deep water for hours on end then your shoes will need a little more. I would venture a guess that 99.9% of people would never put their shells through that kind of treatment though...

20. roflzlmao

roflzlmao Member

Hey guys, just wore my Wolverine 1ks for the first time today and noticed some pretty large scratches developing on the tongue. Is this due to the back of the eyelets / speed hooks or is it something else?