1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. newbie91

newbie91 Member

No... It's the addison wing tip (brown)

2. ac_slater

ac_slater Well-Known Member

Do you use shoe trees?

3. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

does anyone know if venetian show cream changes the color? I'm thinking of just using that and and some sort of leather stain protector for winterproofing. Obenauf seems too much.

4. jmaudi0

jmaudi0 Well-Known Member

i've been using venetian shoe cream on my Oak Street Trench Boots (Natural CXL) and no, it does not change the color.

5. accordion

does it protect the leather or just a conditioner/polish?

6. nevereast

nevereast Well-Known Member

I would consider emailing wolverine or horween

7. jackdagger12

jackdagger12 New Member

So i recently put on a coat of sno-seal in preparation for the upcoming Michigan winter. It's been pretty effective so far and I dont mind the color change. How long will this coat last? Will the color return to its original form when the coat wears off?

8. Neognosis

Neognosis Well-Known Member

I'm wearing my color 8's all winter and treating them with nothing but neatsfoot oil.
    we'll see what happens.

9. Bms259

Bms259 Member

I just got my first pair of 1000 Miles in the mail. I've spent a whole lot of time reading through this forum to learn proper care techniques. I settled on using pure neatsfoot oil and then Obenauf's LP. I chose neatsfoot because I had some and because Nick at Horween suggests it, since neatsfoot is the last step before it leaves Horweens.

Here's my question: how much do I need to oil brand new boots before using Obenauf's LP? I assumed it would need very little, but I used more than I thought I would. And I think it might need more, but it's hard for me to tell since they brand new and I have never used Obenauf's. Should I ere on the side of using too little or too much?

Right now I'm leaving them sit overnight after applying what I think is a fairly light application.

Thanks for the help!

10. accordion

Is there a difference between pure neatsfoot oil and Fiebing's Neatsfoot Oil Compound?

11. Bms259

Bms259 Member

Yeah -- the compound is made up of neatsfoot oil along with other ingredients. I would never use compound on my stuff. You just don't know what else is in it.

Pure neatsfoot oil is supposed to be pure.

12. tmchow

tmchow Well-Known Member

I read that getting pure neatsfoot oil was difficult (vs some other variation) so I personally opted for obebauf's oil.

13. Bms259

Bms259 Member

Fiebings claims to be the real deal, though they also sell a compound, that I almost bought once unknowingly.

14. accordion

So then I should avoid all neatsfoot oil products that are not pure neatsfoot oil? If I use that, would I still need venetian cream or something else? This is for winter protection without sno-seal/obenauf/montana pitch.

15. Neognosis

Neognosis Well-Known Member

Pure neatsfoot is very easy to get if you live in a rural area. I can go to country max this weekend and get a bunch if anyone wants some.

16. Bms259

Bms259 Member

I'm no expert---hence my question above--but the collective wisdom here seems to be some type of natural boot oil (neatsfoot is recommended by Horween's, and Obenauf's and Filson are poplar options). After the oil, use Obenauf's LP or sno seal

I'd stay away from neatsfoot compound, mink oil and people who know better than me seem to shy away from Montana pitch. Obenauf's LP might be more desirable than snow seal because it is all natural and snow seal has some silicone in it, but people still seem to get really good mileage out of it.

17. tmchow

tmchow Well-Known Member

Id love to get some! All I can find on Amazon is 16, 32 and 64 ounce bottles which is way too much.

18. tmchow

tmchow Well-Known Member

Anyone have advice? I also have blue coloring from my denim on parts of the leather that id also like to clean. On these boots, can I safely use saddle soap and boot oil?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  19. tmchow

tmchow Well-Known Member

FYI, I was browsing Amazon and found a seller (FS Fashion) selling size 1k's in Tan for $232. Only size 8.5 though. Seller has a 97% positive rating:
    http://goo.gl/ThXwLg
    (shortened, because the amazon link I provided was being stripped out for some reason.. if this is against forum rules, I'll remove it completely).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  20. tmchow

tmchow Well-Known Member

Just found this thread over on reddit:http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion...lueless_on_wolverine_1000_mile_boot_cxl_care/

Given this advice is coming straight from Nick Horween, it seems credible :). Also, given most of us aren't standing in streams and creeks for hours at a time like Crane, perhaps the Sno-seal / Obenauf's LP is massively overkill and pure neatsfoot oil is sufficient?