1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jml90

jml90 Senior member

2. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

Crane, when I try to add the rust to my cart from its product page, it always adds the brown instead. Perhaps a misconfiguration somewhere?

3. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

I got it to work. No idea what was happening before.

4. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

No I just ran a check on it. Clear your browser cache and try again or use a different browser.

5. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

I've seen the extensive page and posts on waterproofing procedure. What I'm not clear on is the order and relation to boot oil and saddle soap.

For saddle soap, people seem to always recommend kiwi saddle soap. Check.

For boot oil, either filson's or obebauf's. Check.

I know boot oil is for leather conditioning. Not sure what saddle soap is for though.

Also, do you use them all on the leather before waterproofing? If not, what order?

Apologize if this has been covered earlier. I swear I've read 100 pages of threads already and didn't see it :)

6. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Saddle soap is used for cleaning them, after they are clean you oil them up and do so whenever the leather starts to get dry, LP for waterproofing. Clean, condition and waterproof in that order.

7. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

since the search function is totally fubared right now, can a kind soul tell me how one sizes these compared to Aldens (I know I know, noob questions, but not my fault. try searching before you yell at me)

8. Willin

Willin Senior member

Crane's,

What brand of oil do you recommend? You should post a link to your care guide in your signature. I can't seem to find it on your site.

Thanks!

9. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Why Filson of course. The guides are a work in process. I have 8 or 9 of them that I need to edit/proof and get up. The only thing currently up is the waterproofing tutorial on the main site. Hell, I have to fix that one too. I'm supposed to be a professional photographer and those pics in the tutorial just suck. LOL!

Now you'll have to excuse me. It's time for this boy to say F work it's party time. LOL! I found a different bottle of late harvest Zin from the private stash from Post and it looks like my bottle of Herradura is beckoning me. Dinner first though and then no guarantees on what happens next.

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

You have about an hour or so left on the deal.

Yes, I had a good time yesterday. I was taken out for dinner and had blackened walleye with a dill sauce that was just awesome. The bottle of Zin lives to see another day and this pic explains everything else...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

There appears to be some left in that bottle! Unless you were drinking it on your own you got some splaining to do!

12. dgonsh

dgonsh Senior member

Gahh. Someone make a decision for me. Black or Rust from Crane's? Something about the stock pics of the black make me fall in love but im afraid it'll look dull with a few wears...and I dont know if the rust is too red.

never enough in the wild photos of the black being worn!

13. dgonsh

dgonsh Senior member

@Crane's did you raise the shipping costs within the US since yesterday?

14. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

No, I had the weight wrong on the black boots and fixed that. If the rates are up that's a USPS thing since I'm running a real time shipping processor.

15. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

DOTD is officially over.

16. newbie91

newbie91 Member

hi guys can anyone explain what's happening and what should be done? Thanks in advance

17. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

Those are very likely due to salt damage. I can't guarantee 100% but I've seen this before on various leathers and it's basically a natural reaction from the leather to salt buildup. Kind of like how people's faces and skin react to certain elements, leather is really no different.

Anyway, the answer is: Clean the shoes more often. This isn't so much a conditioning problem as it is a cleaning issue.

I am by no means an expert but I'm fairly sure that's correct.

18. kasperoff

kasperoff Member

RRRGH! Been at work all day and missed this!

19. newbie91

newbie91 Member

Hi Slater

Thank you soo much for your quick reply.

I do brush them regularly, in fact I brush them after every wear (and I do wear them often). But, they don't seem to go away. Any ideas?

20. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

Are those cordovan by any chance?