1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. althanis

althanis Senior member

That's like standing in a hospital and saying wow, everyone in the world must be sick.

I think what you're doing with the deal of the day is great! But spending that much money on a pair of boots is still more than some can afford, so their only option is seconds. For what it's worth, my brother also got a tan pair and we couldn't notice anything wrong with it.

Just stop shitting on people who choose to go that route alright?

1 person likes this.
  2. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

No it's like standing in the hospital and saying everyone in the hospital is sick. Just because you don't see a symptom of illness does not mean it's not there. Granted, some people in the hospital aren't sick but they are a minority.

That's how it goes with seconds. Shitting on people? No not really. Warning them that the great deal may not be the great deal yeah. As far as I'm concerned if you can afford seconds you can afford firsts. The difference in price is nothing more than cooking your dinner at home instead of going out every night for a week. Hell, one night less in a bar for the month ought to do it as well.

1 person likes this.
  3. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of the stock W1K boots?

4. pinoyman43

pinoyman43 Member

Hi guys, long time lurker here,

I just need some advise regarding my tan 1k, I kinda overdid the application of lexol conditioner on one of my pair, does this lighten up thru exposure and use or is this permanent?

Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

5. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior member

I've never had Lexol permanently darken anything to any real degree (unless the leather was overly-dry to begin with). I'd just wait it out...

1 person likes this.
  6. pinoyman43

pinoyman43 Member

Thanks man!

7. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Quote: I think you misunderstand my question.

I don't care about scuffs or "patina" or shining my shoes.

I want to know if the leather is DURABLE.

The last pair of boots I bought were inexpensive, but the leather seemed pretty tough. After 5 years, I literally wore a hole through the vamp, right through to my sock, on my motorcycle shift lever.

I have replaced these boots with some 1000 miles.

My question is, do you think the fact that it scuff so easily (which does not bother me) is indicative that it will not resist real abrasion as well as other leathers?

Do you think it will last as many abrasion cycles against the gear shift of my motorcycle as other leathers, before I wear a hole through the chromexcel?

8. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

I can't speak to that with experience but the leather is pretty heavy duty and surface marks usually are just that; surface. I'd've thought 5 years was not a bad life for bike boots tho

9. nevereast

nevereast Senior member

Wtf kind of question is this

2 people like this.
  10. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Oops. I meant to ask where I can buy stock laces for the boots. :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  11. ac_slater

ac_slater Senior member

Probably been answered in here a couple of times, but I live in Atlanta and it never snows really. What do I use to take care of these for basic conditioning?

12. accordion

accordion Senior member

I do not. So for wintry surfaces, is one better than the other? I read the Obenauf darkens the leather and the sno-seal ligthens it, which one is less affecting? For half-soles and leather treatments, should I wear the boots first or do both right away? Thanks.

13. striker

striker Senior member

Gents,

Please could anyone advise what might be happening to my boots. My 1000 mile in Rust recently started developing goosebump like boils/ welts, microbumps all over the leather like a sick rash.

These were used about 2-4 times a month for only 6 months under normal urban conditions on asphalt. They have not been exposed to rain or snow even. Obenauf LP'ed twice, nothing more.

These are the shoes when I first got them. Leather was supple and smooth. [​IMG]

They look like this now. Scaly and rough to the touch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. themonster

themonster Well-Known Member

Might be dry rot, when the oil evaporates and fibers started coming apart.

15. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

I've been a lurker for a long, long time and this is my first post in this thread.

I have a pair of the Montgomery 1000 mile boots in Dark Grey in an 8.5 (my regular shoe size is a 9 / 9.5). They were comfortable right out of the box since the leather was already so soft. The leather has a "distressed" type look to them, and have already taken color from my blue denim that I wear on a daily basis.

[​IMG]

A few questions:

1. For conditioning and treating the leather, do I have to worry given the distressed treatment of the leather, or is using Lexol conditioner and Obenauf's (or Sno-seal) still the right procedure? (I've seen multiple posts by Cranes walking through the procedure).

2. Why do these boots have the "1000 mile" name when they are so different than the "standard" ones? The leather is different, the sole and even the footbed.

3. I'm interested in getting a pair of the standard 1ks in either Rust or Cordovan (I can't decide and keep reading the photos on the wolverine site aren't accurate). Do the Montgomery and standard 1k's share the same fit? (i.e. if I am a 8.5 in the montgomery, am I safe getting same size in the standard 1k's?

4. I find the footbed in the Montgomery absurdly comfortable. It makes for a terrfic boot to wear right out of the box. Why isn't this footbed used in the standard 1k's?

5. I saw a pair of the standard 1k's in person today at Nordstrom's in Black (they annoyingly don't carry the Rust or Cordovan in their brick-and-mortar stores). They also didn't have my size for me to try it on. Putting my hand in them to feel the footbed gave me the impression they are rock hard (esp. compare to the Montgomerys). Is everyone just using as-is or are you using insoles?

16. nevereast

nevereast Senior member

I use obenaufs on mine. I think it applies easier and soaks in faster. If darkens them a lot immediately but lightens up within minutes. I think it smells better and is nicer on the hands.

I use snowseal on my heavy duty boots. No real logic to my thinking. Can't imagine it lightens anything.

You really need a horsehair brush. They are like 5 bucks on amazon.

I think the consensus is that the soles need a bit of wear. I would find your local (and best) cobbler that you will be using and asking them which they would prefer to do.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  17. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

A few hours left on the DOTD.

18. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Senior member

Almost anything you put on them will darken them.

19. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

15 more minutes and this one is done.

20. hkl16

hkl16 Member

Try emailing or calling wolverine directly, other members have been getting replacements for free.