1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Iipe

Iipe Well-Known Member

Does anyone use Chelsea Leather Food (CLF) on their Wolverines? It's good for waterproofing pretty much any leather, but I'm just wondering if there is a reason to prefer Obenauf's LP or Sno-Seal over it?

2. michaeljohnr

michaeljohnr Senior member

I've used CLF on my kangaroo leather soccer boots for years and it works very well. No experience using it on W1000's though.

3. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

If the boots are too small there isn't a thing you're going to do to fix it short of buying the right size. A bit too big is something that can be fixed with insoles, thicker socks and lacing techniques. IF you are going to make a mistake in sizing you are far better off erring on the big side. Many people are realizing that sizing down has been a huge mistake.

4. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Even though you'll be wearing them in the city, I'd still go with something heavy duty to protect them (after you condition them). You can encounter a lot of cr@p in the city. Rain, puddles, snow/slush, ice salt, a spilled beer ;-), etc...

And yes, adding an extra layer of cream should give your boots some shine.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/163864/wolverine-1000-mile-boot-review/4155

http://www.styleforum.net/t/163864/wolverine-1000-mile-boot-review/4290

5. Joker007

Joker007 Member

@Crane's: did I miss the link to the DOTD?:embar:

6. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Nope. I'm waiting for an authorization code for a real time processor. Then I'll do a deal.

7. Mazzasan

Mazzasan Well-Known Member

To topy or not to topy? How do most people feel about this I wonder? I recently purchased my first pair and have worn them pretty much every day for the past few wks. I initially thought i wouldn't bother but i'm having second thoughts especially given the recent discussion on this board. Appreciate your feedback.

8. cj10

cj10 Active Member

Im talking about adding half soles...because it was mentioned that it will make walkin harder as the leather is alread hard and that d half sole may even retrain the bending of the toe part when walkin so do i add the half sole when it is new(to protect d leather sole and make it last longer) or add them after the toe part of the leather is broken in(softer) den add the half sole...

9. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

I would do it after having those shoes for a couple months, so they have broken in. Half soles are great, I have had my wolverines for four years and they are still going strong.

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Come on USPS. How hard can it be to move me off the test servers to the damn production servers? Gahhh, I should just get a universal code the next time I setup a shipping RTP.

11. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

0mg! New Bison leather 1000 Mile boots coming in 2014:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Willin

Willin Senior member

I topy'ed and it was definitely worth it. That thin piece of rubber adds transaction when the streets are slushy if you live in a suburban area. It also increases the amount of time you can walk around before water seeps in and soaks your feet.

13. kasperoff

kasperoff Member

Hi there Mr Crane,

Do you actually stock the 1000 Miles? I had a quick look on your website, but could not see them.

14. roflzlmao

roflzlmao Member

Hey guys I'm about to get my Wolverine 1k Mile Boots in Cordovan No.8 tomorrow. Really excited. I have some Saphir renovateur as well; should I lightly condition my boots before wearing them? Also, I live in NYC, is it worth it to waterproof my boots with Obenauf's LP using Crane's method? Thank you.

15. kasperoff

kasperoff Member

OK, guess I answered my own question! I see the link in your sig, but I'm looking for the Original Boot. Is the "Cranes Boots" website also one of yours? Having a very hard time finding stock in the UK anywhere. Let alone somewhere to try them on.

16. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yes I do stock them. I'm not supposed to have them listed on the site.

Yep that's my site. It's full ecom capable and once the jokers at USPS switch me over that's where I'm going to be doing my special deals. As you can see I also don't listen very well and I'm going to have them available online one way or the other. I told Dave I was up to no good and the less he knew the better. If the big W gets mad he can blame it all on me. LOL!

1 person likes this.
  17. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

I'm looking at Allen Edmond as another option for the next boots. Since they make some of the Wolverine boots, I assume their sizing would be the same?

Am I correct?

18. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

No how no way. You better hop into an AE thread and figure out their lasts and sizing peculiarities.

19. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Yeah.... You can pretty much give up on that search; there isn't one.
    You're best bet would be to try some Redwing Beckmans then check the forums for the pretty comprehensive size comparisons between RWs and 1k miles.

20. chocobo

chocobo Active Member

I'm a pretty frugal person but I've finally been convinced that these are worth the money, so I'm planning to buy a pair. I could use some advice about what size to get.

I got measured with a brannock device which said 10.5, which is the same size as my sneakers. This was all sorts of wrong, it was way too loose. Considering how far off it was, I asked to try on a pair in 9.5 (same size as my CDBs, which are a snug fit btw). This size felt OK... there was still tons of room in the toe box.

Finally I tried on a 9. The toe box still had plenty of room, but it was noticeably snug on the sides. Definitely tighter than I'd want it to be on a permanent basis.

So, what size would you recommend for me? Do they stretch or "relax" or anything like that (meaning that I should get the 9), or should I go with the 9.5?

One additional question - I wear khakis the majority of the time, and jeans occasionally. Would I be correct in thinking I should go with brown over cordovan, because cordovan doesn't go as well with khakis as it does with jeans or other dark colored pants? Cordovan looks great with jeans but I've been leaning towards the safer option of brown. I don't want to spend this much on a pair of boots that I'd be hesitant to wear, or only feel I could wear with certain clothes.