• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

dsbkoko

Reaction score
deciding between Tan Suede/chromexcel Indy, Cigar Red Wing GT or Black or Tan Wolverine Addison or 1000 mile.. what do you guys think?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to decide as they're all great boots. I have one of each. If you're gonna go with just one, I'd do the GT's.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsbkoko
deciding between Tan Suede/chromexcel Indy, Cigar Red Wing GT or Black or Tan Wolverine Addison or 1000 mile.. what do you guys think?

To be honest I like Red Wing and Wolverine boots over Alden. Alden to me makes better shoes. I don't see the need to pay $150 extra for an Alden boot.

Also, from what I've read, the Red Wing GTs are a pain to break in. Wolverine seems easier and look better IMO. I like Red Wing's more rugged offerings.

So in short go with the Wolverine. I'm getting a pair in black soon

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
unnamed.jpg
similar to the pitch blend minus the beeswax and costs $2 bucks at Target. Should also note that the only boots I treat with weatherproofing are my GTs. I save the nicer boots for sunnier conditions.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
To be honest I like Red Wing and Wolverine boots over Alden. Alden to me makes better shoes. A.) I don't see the need to pay $150 extra for an Alden boot. Also, from what I've read, B.) the Red Wing GTs are a pain to break in. C.) Wolverine seems easier and look better IMO. I like Red Wing's more rugged offerings. So in short go with the Wolverine. I'm getting a pair in black soon
Agree 100% with points B,C and partially agree with point A. A.) The resale value on Alden's is much higher. This comes in handy for when you first join SF and buy 5 pairs of Aldens and realize you only need one or two. Usually can get your money back when reselling. B.) RW insoles are the least comfortable of the 3 brands. After 4 hours on my feet, it begins to feel like I am walking barefoot. This is something I got used to though and dont notice as much. The RW GT leather is the stiffest of the box of the 3 boots. Initially, I thought I got a size too small but the leather broke in just fine after a few short weeks and now they are uber comfy. RW may have some shortcomings, but I think you get most bang for your buck. Love my GTs C.) The toe box on the 1000's is less bulbous than the GTs, imo.

bds231

Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of 1000 miles in brown and I wanted to let everyone know my first impressions and sizing:

My initial quality impressions are top-notch. As soon as you open the box, a strong wave of robust leather scent washes over you. The boots are very clean-looking, and the details are all immaculate. These boots are way ahead of my Fryes in execution, for example. Details like the leather sole, less-bulbous toe (compared to many Red Wings and Fryes), and very rich leather make these boots look refined.

The boots are pretty darn comfortable out of the box - a little stiff through the arch perhaps, but I'm confident they'll break in nicely.

I wear a 10.5 in athletic shoes, and go between a 9.5 and 10 in dress shoes. The Wolverines fit me perfectly in 9.5, which was a little surprising - I thought I might have to go down to a 9.

Overall super-pleased and excited. I plan on wearing these boots a lot - they look great with denim, chinos, and even some slacks.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are ~5 months old now. Treated with Obenauf's LP 4-5 times now. They've seen rain and snow and have held up just fine. My Blundstone 500's are my go-to weekend snow boot but the 1K's handle surprisingly well in the snow on those occasions where I'm out in the muck...seems like we get another foot of snow every other week here in the Boston area this yr). I polished them once with some brown Kiwi about 24 hrs after an LP treatment. They never took much of a shine (which is what I was after) but rather developed a deep, dull shine or luster. I clean the salt off them with a damp rag after each wear in bad conditions and hit them with a horsehair brush before or after each wear. I'm careful to let the soles dry after they get really wet and don't wear them again for a few days after a good slogging. Lastly, I switched out the laces for leather. Looks better IMO. They were a lighter brown color (almost tan) out of the package but a quick treatment with Obenauf darkened the laces up nicely so they match the boot well now.
DSC_8180.jpg
DSC_8165.jpg
DSC_8190.jpg
DSC_8198.jpg
DSC_8168.jpg
DSC_8195.jpg

laforce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrick_b
These are a few months old now. Treated with Obenauf's LP 4-5 times now. They've seen rain and snow and have held up just fine. My Blundstone 500's are my go-to weekend snow boot but the 1K's handle surprisingly well in the snow on those occasions where I'm out in the muck...seems like we get another foot of snow every other week here in the Boston area this yr). I polished them once with some brown Kiwi about 24 hrs after an LP treatment. They never took much of a shine (which is what I was after) but rather developed a deep, dull shine or luster. I clean the salt off them with a damp rag after each wear in bad conditions and hit them with a horsehair brush before or after each wear. I'm careful to let the soles dry after they get really wet and don't wear them again for a few days after a good slogging. Lastly, I switched out the laces for leather. Looks better IMO. They were a lighter brown color (almost tan) out of the package but a quick treatment with Obenauf darkened the laces up nicely so they match the boot well now.
Those look fantastic! Is that the brown or the rust?

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laforce

Those look like darkened up rust to me but it can be so hard to tell with these shoes in different lighting.

I like what he did with the laces - I actually like them with their original laces as well, but it's nice to see the difference you can make in the look with just the change of laces. They're good both ways.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laforce

Thanks, they're brown. Obenauf darkens only slightly.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
Where are the laces from?
Any Shoe store should have leather boot lace. Or you can find them at Tandy leather or amazon: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/h...ture=Product_3 http://www.amazon.com/Tandy-Leather-...=3EHRNTUUQS1IP The laces packaged as boot laces are 1/8". I thought they looked thin so I bought a spool of 5/32" brown "Latigo Lace". It's a little thicker than the boot laces packaged above. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/h...ure=Product_10 I use leather laces on other boots as well, but the 50' spool should last a lifetime. If you PM me your mailing address, I'll mail you a length for your boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads