1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

I found this page. I hope it helps a little. Looks like the size between the two is the same.

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion...review_red_wing_iron_ranger_red_wing_beckman/

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/119569-bootsshoes-sizing-advice/

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Those kind of sizing charts are *not* appropriate for any kind of use, I don't honestly know why they provide it. For a proper fit, you want to be sized to where the first joint of your toe matches the flex point of the shoe. Charts like AE use are kind of an average foot kind of thing. As a personal example, my toes are very long. The joint of my toes is much farther back compared to someone else whose foot is the same length.

3. sklark23

sklark23 Senior member

What basis do you have to say that pine pitch is not good for leather? Honestly curious here.

Chances are that it is bee propolis and not wax

4. CR78

CR78 Senior member

Are 1000 Mile factory seconds marked in a certain way that makes them distinguishable?

5. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

There's usually a small mark on the outsole, close to the heel.
    [​IMG]
    This obviously only applies to the Wolverines made by AE. I am not sure about their other models.

6. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

There's nothing wrong in asking this kind of questions here. What's your European size?
    If this helps, I am about EU43 (US 9.5), and I find 9.5 in 721 and 744 to be a good fit. This said, I could have also done US 10 if you intend to wear them with a heavier sock.

Added: If your feet are 11 inches, your size would be about 10.5. I just checked and I am 10" which translates to US 9.5 or 10 (depending on the shoe last).

7. CR78

CR78 Senior member

I just bought a pair of Emersons from an ebay seller, and I'm pretty sure they must be seconds from an abnormality in the moc toe stitching on one of the boots. I can't seem to find anything on the box or the boots that suggests that they were marked seconds though...

8. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Return them, then. Even if the seller has a no-return policy, you can dispute it as item received not as advertised, and ebay will side with the buyer. You'll be out $15 for shipping vs. being unsatisfied.

9. Meezus

Meezus Member

So does anyone use Obenauf's LP or Sno Seal on the leather sole too? Or just the upper?

10. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Do that if you like to skate without skates. Seriously, any wet shiny floor surface and you run the risk of going arse over tit

11. Meezus

Meezus Member

Although that does sound fun, it might get tiring. The protectant will actually worsen the already not great traction of leather huh.
    So I don't need to worry about water/snow/salt ruining the leather sole?

12. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Well, prolonged exposure especially to salt, will take a toll but ime they'll survive. Oil the sole and you might not!

13. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Spend $25 and get a Vibram half-sole put on. Bam! Sole protected!

14. Willin

Willin Senior member

I measure a size 9 on the AE shoe fitting thing-a-ma-jig. I wear size 7.5EEE AE's and they are very comfortable. I couldn't imagine wearing a larger shoe. In face, most of my shoes are size 8 and anything bigger feels very uncomfortable. I think there's a lot that goes into a proper fit for each individual.

15. cthip

cthip Senior member

I always assumed that Sno Seal would make my soles slipperier. Tried it this winter anyway, and much to my surprise traction has greatly improved!

No experience with Obenauf's, but anybody who's used SnoSeal before knows that it's actually quite sticky-tacky rather than greasy-slippery.

16. nevereast

nevereast Senior member

I've used obenaufs on it because I feel like It absorbs easier. The leather soaked up the wax 10000000 times quicker than the upper. Made me feel like it needed some protecting.

Sno seal was much more slick the one time I tried it. It was slick on dry pavement in the warm.

Obenaufs has been fine so far. I'm sure it makes it more slick the first 1-2 times you wear them. Worth it to me if it protects the leather and stitching.

17. spena

spena Member

if you were to choose the 1000 mile or the 1000 mile captoe (rockford), which one would you pick? or just get both in different colors?

18. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Plain toe. First, tradition always wins with heritage style boots. Second, balmoral work boots is sort of strange looking, compared to bluchers.

2 people like this.
  19. bertie

bertie Senior member

What he said

20. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Anyone had a chance to compare the more expensive Oak Street Trench Boot to our 1Ks? Curious to hear if there's a big difference.

[​IMG]