1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. spena

spena Member

looking for a cap-toe for my next boots and torn between IR and Rockford. please help convince me why the rockford 1k is the better choice that the popular ir

2. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Give a call to Allen Edmonds (the maker of the Krause boots, I believe). They might be able to help.

3. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Oh thanks, a good idea...

4. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I actually love the look of the Iron Ranger to be honest, but if you've never tried them on they are VERY narrow, even the so-called EE width (only available in brown, not black) is about medkum width. And virtually no arch support. But LOOKS great.

1 person likes this.
  5. mg2380

mg2380 Well-Known Member

Speaking of cap-toes... I've been thinking about getting a pair of the boots on the link below. Prices start at £111.95 (£42.95 for shipping). The price comes to around $250 US.

They come with several leather options (per an e-mail I received from the vendor this morning):

Black smooth waxy leather
    Dark Brown smooth waxy leather
    Tan Chestnut Waxy leather

Black Chromexcel horsehide leather
    Dark Brown Chromexcel horsehide leather

Brown Latigo leather
    Black Latigo leather

Dark Brown Zug-grain leather
    Black Zug-grain leather

Black Reverse Kip Butt leather

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?70343-William-Lennon-spec-boots/page5

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear/78tc-traditional-work-boot.html

A tour of the factory:
    http://loomstate.blogspot.com/2011/11/william-lennon-factory-stoney-middleton.html

6. ihatesundays

ihatesundays Member

Anybody experience problems with the leather sole stitching without a topy? What happens if the stitching frays or breaks? Does it affect the stitching on the top welt? I have some stitching on the bottom sole that wasnt stitched properly in the groove so it is stitched over the leather and exposed. It will probably cause quite a bit of fraying when walking on concrete. Any inputs?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Non issue.

8. Meezus

Meezus Member

Just ordered my first pair of 1k's in Rust, and I'm pretty excited. Almost went with the Cordovan, but since this is my first pair of workboots, I figured a shade of brown is the better choice. I'm one of those guys who buy these for form not function (I know, the worst) and I'll be living in the San Fran area for a couple years, then DC. So the only thing I need to worry about is rain and a little snow later. I will definitely be wearing the hell out of these though.

I've read most of this monster thread, and clearly there's decades of combined experience with 1k's on here, so since I have zero and have yet to see a pair in person (military overseas in Japan), hopefully you fine gentlemen can help me out.

This is really my first experience with quality leather goods and I obviously want to take great care of these and keep them looking beautiful, but I do NOT want to darken the leather into chocolate. I know Obenauf's LP and Sno Seal are favorites around here, and I would love to never worry about moisture again, but I've read/seen terrifying examples where it's turned medium brown boots dark brown permanently. I hear that these will darken over time anyway, so I'm not in a hurry to get there.

I recognize it's leather and every boot is unique, but here are a couple pics of the color that sold me on these and how I'd love for mine to end up near:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So what I'm seeing is not really a high shine, but I'd like to achieve that depth to the color to bring out that reddish hue in the brown. For the uppers, my research has yielded Venetian, Saphir Renovateur, and Lexol as good lightweight conditioners that won't darken the leather much but will still provide protection against rain.
    What do you all recommend? Maybe in your experience Obenauf's + Rust 1k's ends up looking just like these.

Oh one last question, if the verdict is Obenauf's will darken the upper considerably, is it a good idea to use it on the sole for maximum protection?

Thanks!

9. spena

spena Member

Quote:thanks for the feedback. decided to get the regular 1k mile in black instead . maybe in the future I will get the captoe but for now I will play it safe.

10. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Well, I would like to say one thing: after a year of wearing them, it's time to admit that Crane's (it hurts to say this) is right when it comes to fit. It's time to bid adieu to my 721s and 744s, which were basically grails for me, because I bought them too small. My takeaway from this (expensive) lesson is that the most important part is to get the joint of my toe in the right place, the width right, and ensure my heel doesn't have lateral slippage and not worry about space in front of my toes any more.

That said, I found a pair of boots that fits me perfectly, modified last Alden Indy's, and its amazing the world of difference my feet feel right now. They have the same tank-like feel to them, though I haven't decided whether I'm going to water-proof them.

11. nevereast

nevereast Senior member

Honestly I did not find the obenaufs darkened the leather at all. They look a little different in the "after" pic but I honestly think it's just as much the lighting.

Alot of the pics you see of the boots darker may be literally just waxed. When applying the wax the boots will get VERY dark. They lighten almost immediately and continue to over the course of the next few mins with a blow drier.

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

That just sucks W. I made a few sizing mistakes in my time with some expensive footwear before so I feel your pain.

13. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

What size Modified do you take?

14. Mr M

Mr M Senior member

Next Wolvie 1K I'm getting will be TTS. The half size down after a long day walking and standing get less toes wiggling space.

15. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

I have been tempted by Wolverine 1000 mile, but the leather appears to crap up after wear - i.e. go an oily black colour.

16. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I have no idea where you get that from. Then again all my computer monitors are calibrated too. At best I see underexposed photos and the wrong white balance in some pics but nothing that looks like an "oily black".

edit: Unless they're black to begin with that is. Then I expect them to be black with an oily sheen.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  17. bertie

bertie Senior member

I've had my rust coloured 1000k for four years with minimal care and they look like the same colour just with four years of wear.

I have noticed thre is a propensity to use a lot of product on them though and that may contribute to discolouring.

18. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

19. Willin

Willin Senior member

^That's the coloration that my rust 1k's have with about 3 years of seasonal wear. Except my left toe has a giant 1.5 inch gash on it caused by me opening a back door and the corner rammed into the tip of my boot. *shakesfistatsky*

20. aeymxq

aeymxq Active Member

bought a pair of 1ks used off craigslist a little over a week ago. they were in pretty decent condition, though the guy never treated them (and I havent had an opportunity to yet). at $115 the price was right anyway.

I did some walking on rocks though, and a hole is forming in the left sole! not sure if it was already there. I really need to get some rubber soles put in.