1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

They aren't cracked.

2. rimber

rimber New Member

Oh really? Is this just normal?

3. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

It is how the leather is before they put the boot together when they picked and assembled the boot. They probably put it on the inside hoping the customer wouldnt mind.

4. malaysian

malaysian Active Member

It is worth change soles for winter, or will am I able to do without it? Just don't want to slip in these boots :/

5. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yes it's normal. The leather is full grain pull up so all the surface variations associated with this type of leather are to be expected. From what I see in your pictures looks to be nothing more than a typical grain pattern.

This is what real cracks look like. This is caused by very fine dust and dirt particles that have penetrated into the leather. The number one way to destroy leather boots is to let mud dry on them. It'll suck all the oils out of the leather and if you just put them on and go all those micro razor blades will embed deeper and deeper into the leather. These particles are very abrasive and cut the leather at a microscopic level. Over time these fine lines develop and eventually this area will fail. This type of condition is typically found in high flex areas only. With proper cleaning and care this condition can be kept in check for quite some time. It is impossible to mitigate this entirely. It's just what happens to well used leather. What you see has taken four years to develop. I wear these boots for months on end and in conditions yours will probably never see. Again what you see is not cracked leather. Not even close.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Only you can answer that. Other solutions are ice crampons, Yak Trax and an overshoe.

7. loug

loug Well-Known Member

Looks ok to me, had a spot or two on the black 1k's but its real leather from a cow or other animal, think its a cow. Only the manufacturer knows and the only leather that is perfect out of the box is plather. Don't like it personally cause it makes the feet sweat more.

8. CR78

CR78 Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with the Emersons, or has anyone seen them in person? If so, what are your opinions.

9. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

It's cow hide and the manufacturer tells you what leather is used for the USA made line. It all comes from Horween Leather in Chicago and data sheets/info on each leather can be found on Nick's site. Pleather is not leather at all. It's plastic so it's a pointless comparison. "Perfect" leather is available. It's commonly called corrected grain leather. Another way to get "perfect" leather is to emboss it with some kind of pattern.

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

The Emerson and Rowan models are USA made and are a collab between Filson and Wolverine. Both are solid boots but IMO the sole choice just sucks. A Vibram gumlight or other fully lugged black Vibram sole would make more sense for a field boot type of design.

11. CR78

CR78 Senior member

I totally agree with you about the sole. While I love the upper, buying a $440 boot with a sole you intend to change immediately is a tough pill to swallow.

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yes it is. Now if you can tolerate the sole for a while that would be an altogether different matter. The Courtland is a moc toe that's very similar and it has a decent looking sole.

13. cogbog

cogbog Member

14. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Sounds good. I just got back from an install so it's a perfect opportunity to clean them up; I'll get on it this weekend.

2 people like this.
  15. Joker007

Joker007 Member

@ Crane's: Your 1K boot with the "cracked leather" shown on the Picture you attached . which colour is it? Rust or Brown?

Reg

Chris

16. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

They're brown. Since then I did a writeup on how to clean them. Instead of oiling them as usual I decided to wax them up to show how well they can look after 7 or 8 months worth of snow mud and water. I used a little #8 cream wax. Now they're a pair of rust or cordovan 1Ks. LOL.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

2 people like this.
  18. Willin

Willin Senior member

I look forward to this series but I believe you should preface your guide by stating that waterproofing your boots can darken the color. I seem to remember this when I was researching buying my rust 1k's. I didn't want to darken them so I have never waterproofed them.

My request for the next entry is to explain your process for basic polishing care without the waterproofing? Thanks again!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  19. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I have the resident expert working on a how to of waxing these things.

20. nevereast

nevereast Senior member

[​IMG]

Got them today. Didn't find much on these whole researching. Will do mini review soon in this thread for ppl searching

@crane's you sure about beeswax on this kinda leather?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013